The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

How much cap space did we have this year and how many players did we have to sign? So if he says he's not taking less than 40 we should just trade him? Then what?

We did that by restructuring contracts and cutting obvious contracts.  Next year is not the same.  Because we restructured players this year we have very little flexibility next year.  Next year Adams, Jones, Miller, Crosby, and probably Waller are going to cost a ton more than they are this year.  Those 5 are going to make $36 million this year.  Adams by himself is going to make $30 next year.   The five combined if Waller gets extended will be over $100 million and you can make that $140 if Carr gets his $40 per contract.  They will get almost 2/3s of the cap and none could or should be restructured or cut.  So next year we are stuck and have to hit on the draft because we do not have a 1st or 2nd next year.  I really like Adams but this is why I did not want to trade for him.  $30 million, a 1st, and a 2nd give you more room for error. That is 5 starters at least.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

We did that by restructuring contracts and cutting obvious contracts.  Next year is not the same.  Because we restructured players this year we have very little flexibility next year.  Next year Adams, Jones, Miller, Crosby, and probably Waller are going to cost a ton more than they are this year.  Those 5 are going to make $36 million this year.  Adams by himself is going to make $30 next year.   The five combined if Waller gets extended will be over $100 million and you can make that $140 if Carr gets his $40 per contract.  They will get almost 2/3s of the cap and none could or should be restructured or cut.  So next year we are stuck and have to hit on the draft because we do not have a 1st or 2nd next year.  I really like Adams but this is why I did not want to trade for him.  $30 million, a 1st, and a 2nd give you more room for error. That is 5 starters at least.

Good GM's pay stars and draft well to fill needs. Let's see how Ziegler does.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'm offering Carr a 2 yr/$70M fully guaranteed extension that's tacked onto his current deal. That way his timeline ends around the same time as Adams.

I would be okay with this if the first 2 years are guaranteed and we have an out year 3.  Restructure to $30 per each year.

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

This years draft is gonna important to find some depth for this year and next year. Our cap will be top heavy up for 5-6 players. Teams just don’t win like that. KC nearly did it this year but had the best QB talent in the NFL to cover weak points.

Carr gets a 40+ deal, Renfrow will gone for sure 

4 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Good GM's pay stars and draft well to fill needs. Let's see how Ziegler does.

Interested to see how we use our draft capital this year, it's limited but there are some intriguing prospects that should be there for us.

1 minute ago, bucksavage1 said:

This years draft is gonna important to find some depth for this year and next year. Our cap will be top heavy up for 5-6 players. Teams just don’t win like that. KC nearly did it this year but had the best QB talent in the NFL to cover weak points.

Carr gets a 40+ deal, Renfrow will gone for sure 

I was not even counting on a Renfrow extension which is scary after the KIrk extension.

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I was not even counting on a Renfrow extension which is scary after the KIrk extension.

Kirk is an outlier, no other WR got more than $15M outside of Allen Robinson. Renfrow's extension should look like what Gallup and Boyd got from their teams.

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I see Hunter getting paid similar or more than Kirk next year. His numbers across the board were better and has improved every year in the NFL. There’s always teams who have lots of cap room willing to overpay for talent 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Kirk is an outlier, no other WR got more than $15M outside of Allen Robinson. Renfrow's extension should look like what Gallup and Boyd got from their teams.

If Renfrow can pull off another 1,000 yd season he is going to get paid.

14 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Carr ($35M), Adams ($30M), Crosby ($20M), Jones ($19M), Kolton ($18M) and Waller/Renfrow are likely going to need new deals as well. Spotrac has them both with a market value of $14M APY. Assuming we gave both of them that we'd be at $150M with those 7 and potentially $158M if we pick up Jacobs 5th year option.

21 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Josh McDaniels immediately lost the locker room in Denver which ultimately led to him flaming out because he traded Jay Cutler. I think that we get a deal done soon, $35-37M seems fair for both sides. 

I think he lost the locker room because of how he treated the Cutler situation.  Just an example but if Carr wanted $50 and would not budge I do not think anyone would blame him.

2 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

I see Hunter getting paid similar or more than Kirk next year. His numbers across the board were better and has improved every year in the NFL. There’s always teams who have lots of cap room willing to overpay for talent 

If Renfrow can pull off another 1,000 yd season he is going to get paid.

Spotrac has his market value at $14M APY. 

Michael Gallup has been more productive than Renfrow and got 5 yr/$57M. 

Allen Robinson has been significantly more productive than Renfrow and got 3 yr/$45M. 

I love Renfrow but he's pretty limited as a slot only WR, he doesn't have the versatility or the consistent production that those two have, and their deals didn't break the bank. 

• Like 1

I think he lost the locker room because of how he treated the Cutler situation.  Just an example but if Carr wanted $50 and would not budge I do not think anyone would blame him.

Guys aren't going to be excited about losing this season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Carr ($35M), Adams ($30M), Crosby ($20M), Jones ($19M), Kolton ($18M) and Waller/Renfrow are likely going to need new deals as well. Spotrac has them both with a market value of $14M APY. Assuming we gave both of them that we'd be at $150M with those 7 and potentially $158M if we pick up Jacobs 5th year option.

I was counting Waller at $15 and that is how I got to over $100 for the 5 of them.  $150 for 7 players is way to much when the cap is expected to be at $218 million.