Lets Talk the end of Lions/Falcons

TheKillerNacho

10-second runoff due to the refs stopping the clock near the end of the game...  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should the rule be changed?

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

What?  There's a chance that they would've gotten a play off.  The refs removed that chance.  That's the definition of getting screwed.

But you don't know that they would have. If you have an untimed down, you're screwing the Falcons. Now what do you do? You absolutely have to have a run off. That shouldn't be a question. The question is, how much time?

7 minutes ago, BladeKor said:

If it's in the rule book, the lions didn't get screwed. The way I see it, it was just pure bad luck on the lions part. Next season, there may be changes to prevent this from happening again.

You can get screwed by a bad rule. Look at all of the targeting calls in ncaa.

Just now, BladeKor said:

Lions screwed themselves by not having a timeout for that situation.

WHAT?!  The ref made the wrong call on the field, then performed an official challenge, which ended the game.  It's the Lions' fault for not saving a timeout to prevent them from being screwed by a bad call?  Asinine.

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

It's in the rule book for the ref to make the wrong call on the field?

There was no wrong call, Tate's knee is down and since it was that close to the goal line, refs had to make sure. If only lions had a timeout left..

Just now, Forge said:

But you don't know that they would have. If you have an untimed down, you're screwing the Falcons. Now what do you do? You absolutely have to have a run off. That shouldn't be a question. The question is, how much time?

Why would you have to have a runoff for the ref's decision to challenge?  It wasn't the Lions' choice for the officials to get the call wrong.  Why should the team be punished?

Just now, Troy Brown said:

You can get screwed by a bad rule. Look at all of the targeting calls in ncaa.

But it's not a bad rule...it's an imperfect rule that can probably improved upon. The spirit of the rule is right...it's simply the arbitrary nature of 10 seconds that can be debated.

Just now, Forge said:

But it's not a bad rule...it's an imperfect rule that can probably improved upon. The spirit of the rule is right...it's simply the arbitrary nature of 10 seconds that can be debated.

It is a bad rule. You are stopping play. The Lions are not. At that point, you are simply arguing semantics. 

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Why would you have to have a runoff for the ref's decision to challenge?  It wasn't the Lions' choice for the officials to get the call wrong.  Why should the team be punished?

Why should the Falcons be punished. They stopped them short of the goal line and there's no guarantee that they get the play off. All scoring plays are reviewed for reason (not the refs decision there). We know that if the call on the field was right, the clock would have kept rolling; that has to be accounted for.

Just now, BladeKor said:

Which is why they have replays. 

Right.  To fix bad calls.  Which it was.

So, we can admit that the refs made the wrong call by ruling it a TD.  The refs then had an official review to determine if their call was wrong.  They then ended the game, on 4th and goal at inches.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Why should the Falcons be punished. They stopped them short of the goal line and there's no guarantee that they get the play off. All scoring plays are reviewed for reason (not the refs decision there). We know that if the call on the field was right, the clock would have kept rolling; that has to be accounted for.

Then give them a chance to get the play off.  I don't want the clock stopped.  I want 8 seconds to try and run another play.

The Lions were in a formation that would've allowed them to run another play quickly.  It's why they run plays like that in those situations.

Just now, Troy Brown said:

It is a bad rule. You are stopping play. The Lions are not. At that point, you are simply arguing semantics. 

Not at all. I'm arguing the notion that it's a bad rule. It's not. It can be improved upon, that's all. If you remove the run off altogether, you're screwing the other team. It's an imperfect situation, but it needs to be accounted for that the clock would keep running if it were called correctly on the field. If they used a run off that was backed by some sort of research, i'd have absolutely no problem with how that played out. But again, 10 seconds is just arbitrary. I know that teams can get plays off faster than that. Can they get one off within 8 seconds? I don't know. That's cutting it close.

Archived