2020 Round 5, Pick 156: Washington Redskins select Keith Ismael, C, San Diego State

Watching this guy, and adding it to the selection of Charles a bit earlier, it’s making me think they’re looking to move away from the power-heavy concepts they’ve employed towards more of a ZBS approach. 

Neither of those guys has NFL strength. At least not to the extent that they could ever be the straight ahead, man on man drive blocker that we’ve been known to utilize in recent years. But they are pretty mobile, pretty fluid, very light on their feet, and they’ll have the ability to get out on those wide reach blocks you can see in the way Carolina has played in the last year or two. With all the screens and jet sweeps and end-arounds and that type of thing. 

That’s not really Wes Martin’s game, so that’s a little disappointing, because I was hoping he’d be the leading candidate to step into LG moving forward. But I think these picks suggest what Rivera and Turner have in mind with the offense.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Watching this guy, and adding it to the selection of Charles a bit earlier, it’s making me think they’re looking to move away from the power-heavy concepts they’ve employed towards more of a ZBS approach. 

Neither of those guys has NFL strength. At least not to the extent that they could ever be the straight ahead, man on man drive blocker that we’ve been known to utilize in recent years. But they are pretty mobile, pretty fluid, very light on their feet, and they’ll have the ability to get out on those wide reach blocks you can see in the way Carolina has played in the last year or two. With all the screens and jet sweeps and end-arounds and that type of thing. 

That’s not really Wes Martin’s game, so that’s a little disappointing, because I was hoping he’d be the leading candidate to step into LG moving forward. But I think these picks suggest what Rivera and Turner have in mind with the offense.

Those drive blockers weren’t holding up because Calahan works the heck out of guys. Carolina seemed to value athletic centers and tackles with mauling guards.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Works the heck out of them how? 

They just have said that he has them do a lot of things the Cowboys OL used to get hurt a lot under Callahan and so did our I’m just saying i can’t remember who said it when we hired him. But someone said it and then it happened. And I know that’s the training staff and preparation but I heard it somewhere and it’s happened over and over

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ripsean21 said:

They just have said that he has them do a lot of things the Cowboys OL used to get hurt a lot under Callahan and so did our I’m just saying i can’t remember who said it when we hired him. But someone said it and then it happened. And I know that’s the training staff and preparation but I heard it somewhere and it’s happened over and over

I forget what talking head it was locally, but they put out an article and everyone attached to it.  From my knowledge of offensive line and strength and conditioning gleaned from my family, that's not the case.  

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I forget what talking head it was locally, but they put out an article and everyone attached to it.  From my knowledge of offensive line and strength and conditioning gleaned from my family, that's not the case.  

I think it was Craig Hoffman

• 3 weeks later...