Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

49 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Case was fine. We had a combination of drops and injuries on the offensive line that made things very difficult.

He truly wasn't fine.

As Semfi said, probably not a reason to bench him now (wouldn't mind if they did personally, but that's my own bias), but he played poorly for all the reasons already mentioned and another one that I'm surprised isn't getting more play.  He held the ball was way too long almost all game.

This isnt the first game that the issue has popped up either.  Its been a fairly consistent theme most of the year but this week and last its been much more evident.  This was the week it ended up hurting him.

Keenum is fun for his creativity but this game showed how his weaknesses (poor velocity on his throws and a generally average arm, not a rhythm passer, poor situational awareness, poor ball placement and doesn't read the field overly well) can really hurt the team.

Guess we'll see how he and the team respond.

2 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Case could have been better sure but he certainty didn't lose the game cuz of his play.

We had the game tied with 3 mins left on the road vs a quality opponent, after doing countless things wrong, and no breaks and an injuried OL.

Defense made mental errors

But Case gets the wins? Little inconsistent no?

13 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

He truly wasn't fine.

As Semfi said, probably not a reason to bench him now (wouldn't mind if they did personally, but that's my own bias), but he played poorly for all the reasons already mentioned and another one that I'm surprised isn't getting more play.  He held the ball was way too long almost all game.

This isnt the first game that the issue has popped up either.  Its been a fairly consistent theme most of the year but this week and last its been much more evident.  This was the week it ended up hurting him.

Keenum is fun for his creativity but this game showed how his weaknesses (poor velocity on his throws and a generally average arm, not a rhythm passer, poor situational awareness, poor ball placement and doesn't read the field overly well) can really hurt the team.

Guess we'll see how he and the team respond.

He wasn’t perfect but he made several plays out of nothing and was under constant pressure. Without those 3 drops, his QB rating for the game was probably close to 100.

If you want him to fail you will find reasons to justify that he is.

2 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

He wasn’t perfect but he made several plays out of nothing and was under constant pressure. Without those 3 drops, his QB rating for the game was probably close to 100.

If you want him to fail you will find reasons to justify that he is.

And if he makes better throws on the first drive to Thielen, on 3rd and 2 to Diggs, and the touchdown to Diggs, his passer rating is well over 100. 

I have yet to see someone say that Case cost this team the game, but it’s very fair to say that he didn’t play all that well. At best, Case’s performance was neutral. He made some good plays that kept us in the game, but he also made some bad plays that severely hurt our chances. 

10 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Theres no inconsistency in my statement. 

Not your statement on its own, but plenty who would agree with you that the loss isn't on Keenum are fully willing to heap all the glory of the wins on Keenum's shoulders...that's inconsistent.

I have no idea if you're complicit in that however.

Edit: I don't lay the blame at Keenum's feet, but better QB play wins this game

10 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

How tho.....?

Really? We had 2 drops that cost us points. We had a defense extend a TD drive twice on stupid face mask penalties. We gave up a 60 yard TD run to a back averaging 3.2 ypc. We had a depleted offensive line that couldn’t block anybody. And we lost by 7 points.

We should win this game with Case playing exactly the way he did.

20 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

I think Case played well enough for us to win. I actually think we should expect to win if he plays at that level.

Agreed. We gave up 31 points to an average offense today. At this point I'm neutral to inserting Bridgewater. Would give us a higher ceiling albeit lower floor. I know it's a different position and he wasn't injured, but Josh Gordon came back after 2 years and immediately looks like a stud again. Instincts are a large part of football and it takes a very long time for a professional to lose said instincts. 

3 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Really? We had 2 drops that cost us points. We had a defense extend a TD drive twice on stupid face mask penalties. We gave up a 60 yard TD run to a back averaging 3.2 ypc. We had a depleted offensive line that couldn’t block anybody. And we lost by 7 points.

He also left points on the field (pass to Diggs in the endzone), and threw two terrible passes that turned into interceptions. 

Good opponents like the Vikings will see in the playoffs, are going to make big plays. The defense is going to have an off day and make a mistake once in a while. If that happens, the QB has to be the one to pick up his team. Especially if he going to be "the guy" going forward. Case was not that guy today.

9 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

50% responsible for a turnover in the red zone, missed two TD opportunities as well as several bad throws in all areas of the field, held the ball too long all game, critical misses on the final drive.

Can go anyway in a team loss.  By your logical of him playing well enough to win, so did the defense

9 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

50% responsible for a turnover in the red zone, missed two TD opportunities as well as several bad throws in all areas of the field, held the ball too long all game, critical misses on the final drive.

Can go anyway in a team loss.  By your logical of him playing well enough to win, so did the defense

He was 3 dropped passes away from 300 yard, 3 TD 1 Int game. In a lot ways he carried the offense to what it did get. He should have been sacked like 9 times. He didn’t play poorly.

Archived