Jump to content
elliot878

PFF Decade Top 101

Recommended Posts

I enjoy this type of article, even more right now.  Several Broncos stalwarts earned high grades in ProFootballFocus Top 1010 of the 2010's.

Broncos stalwarts:

7.  Von Miller - The decades number 1 rated edge defender of the 2010's, there's really no competition for this spot.

12.  Chris Harris Jr. -  Seeing him in a Chargers uniform this year will make my stomach turn.  He's turned into my favorite Bronco ever.  The #1 slot cornerback of the decade, perhaps of all time? #2 overall cornerback of the decade, and #2 overall defensive back of the decade. 

18.  Peyton Manning - Greatest QB of all time as far as I'm concerned, just not his best decade.

85.  Aqib Talib - Such a beast, I remember thinking there there was no way Denver was losing Super Bowl 50 after he took a penalty on what was really a dirty play in Super Bowl 50.  It was the first time in the game Carolina was anywhere near the end zone and he pretty much ripped somoenes head off instead of letting them get in.  It was a tone setting moment early in that game.

87.  Emmanuel Sanders - He's just good no matter where you put him. Catches everything, so fun to watch, miss that guy.

 

Broncos Contributors in the 2010's

14.  Evan Mathis - Can't remember if he was in Denver for 1 or 2 years, but one was a Super Bowl year.  Guy was so good and so consistent in Philly.  Such a good get cheap off injury.

61. Brandon Marshall - Not sure if he even played with Denver in the 2010's or if his trade came before that.  Not gonna look it up. Either way, beast.

 

Making dinner and scanning through the article, might have missed some other guys with short stints with the Broncos.  Thoughts on omissions?  I thought Demaryius would have made the list.  Boss Ward is a surprising omission, he was one of the better in the box safeties for a good portion of the decade. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
🤝
10
16 hours ago, elliot878 said:

I enjoy this type of article, even more right now.  Several Broncos stalwarts earned high grades in ProFootballFocus Top 1010 of the 2010's.

Broncos stalwarts:

7.  Von Miller - The decades number 1 rated edge defender of the 2010's, there's really no competition for this spot.

12.  Chris Harris Jr. -  Seeing him in a Chargers uniform this year will make my stomach turn.  He's turned into my favorite Bronco ever.  The #1 slot cornerback of the decade, perhaps of all time? #2 overall cornerback of the decade, and #2 overall defensive back of the decade. 

18.  Peyton Manning - Greatest QB of all time as far as I'm concerned, just not his best decade.

85.  Aqib Talib - Such a beast, I remember thinking there there was no way Denver was losing Super Bowl 50 after he took a penalty on what was really a dirty play in Super Bowl 50.  It was the first time in the game Carolina was anywhere near the end zone and he pretty much ripped somoenes head off instead of letting them get in.  It was a tone setting moment early in that game.

87.  Emmanuel Sanders - He's just good no matter where you put him. Catches everything, so fun to watch, miss that guy.

 

Broncos Contributors in the 2010's

14.  Evan Mathis - Can't remember if he was in Denver for 1 or 2 years, but one was a Super Bowl year.  Guy was so good and so consistent in Philly.  Such a good get cheap off injury.

61. Brandon Marshall - Not sure if he even played with Denver in the 2010's or if his trade came before that.  Not gonna look it up. Either way, beast.

 

Making dinner and scanning through the article, might have missed some other guys with short stints with the Broncos.  Thoughts on omissions?  I thought Demaryius would have made the list.  Boss Ward is a surprising omission, he was one of the better in the box safeties for a good portion of the decade. 

 

 

Drops really hurt you in PFF's system.  You have to be even more special in other 1-on-1 areas to overcome that (and some WR's on the list are, but those weren't DT's areas where he excelled).

Ward wasn't excellent for a long period of time - he excelled in our role for 2014-15, but 2016 was the start of a decline phase that happened quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Ward wasn't excellent for a long period of time - he excelled in our role for 2014-15, but 2016 was the start of a decline phase that happened quickly.

I agree about Ward. He played is role very well for us as the enforcer/hard hitter but I wouldn't call him special enough to make this list. Stewart was by far the most underrated part of that defense imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grizmo78 said:

I agree about Ward. He played is role very well for us as the enforcer/hard hitter but I wouldn't call him special enough to make this list. Stewart was by far the most underrated part of that defense imo.

He really was the unsung hero - his ability to play centerfield, ball hawk yet be a sure tackler was a huge reason why our D really took a step forward into elite generational status.   IMO Ward's job was the easiest to find someone to fit into.  Nothing against him, he played his part, but it's a lot harder to find a guy who could do everything Stewart did at FS in his peak.   It's why that position still gets more value in FA overall IMO.   Once Stewart lost a half-step, the drop was steep, but man, his play was a game-changer.   When he joined Talib/Harris (and Roby as the frustrating 3rd piece to the CB corps), it really cemented the No-Fly Zone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

I agree about Ward. He played is role very well for us as the enforcer/hard hitter but I wouldn't call him special enough to make this list. Stewart was by far the most underrated part of that defense imo.

Gotta think outside just their Broncos years.  Ward was very good with the Browns, usually one of the highest graded safeties on an annual basis.  A marquee free agent when we signed him.  But yes, a decline starting in 2016 does leave a lot of decade left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking about safeties really makes me nostalgic. For the first 40 years of this franchise we always had fantastic safety play. Gonsulin, Greer, Thompson, Smith, Foley, Alwater...........

Since Atwater retired we haven't been close to the continuous talent we had before 2000. Basically, pro bowl talent for 40 years running.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×