Week 4: Carolina Panthers at New England Patriots

James

Benjamin likely to play! That's insane given the nature of his injury. Tough SOB. Could pay dividends as Malcolm Butler is atrocious against physical and tall WR's (see Jalen Strong's preseason game, even though strong has since been cut). I think the Patriots line up Rowe on Funchess and Gilmore on Benjamin, with possibly Jones on Samuel due to both of them having 4.31 vs 4.33 speed. Could be butler as well with some over the top help, but I think Butler will rotate in and out and help with Christian due to his physicality and good tackling.

Oddly enough, I have a better feeling about this game than I did last week.  We have always played down to our competition under Rivera.  A lot of focus the last week has been on Cam (right or wrong), but he wasn't the only one that performed poorly last week - the defense and offensive line both look horrendous.  I expect both (more so the defense) to look better today.  Our speed in the front seven should help vs Patriots short passing game.  My two biggest concerns would be:

1. Cooks downfield vs Bradberry or Worley.  Bradberry is a good corner but like Norman before him, lacks top-end speed which hurts against guys like Cooks.  Worley got smoked by Ginn last week.

2. Gronk vs TD.  Davis isn't as good as he used to be in coverage.  We will be much better off with Kuechly or Thompson matching up against Gronk than Davis, so it is a match-up I hope we can avoid.

I still think we will lose the game, but hopefully it is closer than people are expecting.

Seems like the offensive playcalling just gets stagnant/complacent sometimes. Maybe you can blame last week on not being prepared to play without Olsen yet, but regardless the offense just wasn't put in a good spot to succeed. But this week is completely different, we come out with limited personnel and the offense looks really good against a better (I think?) defense. Frustrating, but at least we did bounce back.

wow, I definitely didn't see that coming. after 3 weeks of atrocious O vs. brady and the pats in NE? cam and the O came alive and the D did just enough for the win. gano won it after almost losing it, the run game was solid, fun fun had the best game of his career. c mac is just as valuable as a decoy as he is as a weapon. the loss of coleman is worrisome but j pepp still amazes me and I think that the D will be fine with some tweaks. if cam continues to show up and the D does their stuff the sky is the limit for this team

I somewhat feel bad for McCaffrey.  His numbers this year probably won't reflect it, but the impact he has had on our offense this year has been tremendous.  It's only been 4 games, but Newton's CMP% is 65% (which is why I kept telling people in the offseason - CMP% is as much scheme related as it is accuracy related, if not more-so).  The addition of McCaffrey and more of an underneath/checkdown offense has helped out a lot in that regard.

I don't know if it is the offensive line or run scheme/design, but the RBs never have any room to run.  I would be surprised if we have ran McCaffrey from out of center more than 10 times this year.

Archived