Browns General Discussion

candyman93

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I agree

We are VERY lucky Emerson is ready to carry the torch for Ward.

I’ve felt for awhile he’s gonna draft a WR and LT with our 1st and 2nd round picks. Those make sense in terms of price and value.

He does like to draft linebackers late though because they’re super cheap (Watson, Fields, and UDFA Diabate). Just depends on who is cheaper the late round rookie or vet.

Ironically my favorite pick was the Mississippi State kid this year, I think he has legit potential down the road.

But this team needs 2+ WR unless Thrash or Cedric ball out even if Jeudy doesn’t suck.

They need a capable starter at RB and LT too and have a decision to make with Newsome.

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

But this team needs 2+ WR unless Thrash or Cedric ball out even if Jeudy doesn’t suck.

yes and no imo. Like, they need more for sure, but at some point Watson is gonna need to make it work.  If a guy needs 4 elite receivers to succeed they’re not viable long term option.  

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

They need a capable starter at RB and LT too and have a decision to make with Newsome.

I’d be surprised if they don’t resign Jed tbh.  I know fans hate him, but replacing him is easier said than done.

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

yes and no imo. Like, they need more for sure, but at some point Watson is gonna need to make it work.  If a guy needs 4 elite receivers to succeed they’re not viable long term option.

I agree with what you’re saying in principle, but we won’t even have 1 elite receiver. Next year our #1 will be an average #2 if his career continues as it has been. And tbd on guys like Thrash and Bell, but assuming they don’t explode…do you want Bell and Tillman as your 2/3 and Jeudy as your 1? That’s gross.

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’d be surprised if they don’t resign Jed tbh.  I know fans hate him, but replacing him is easier said than done.

Overpaying for an oft injured average at best LT is peak Andrew Berry, I bet you’re right.

27 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

My issue with Wills is that he’s constantly getting banged up.

44 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Ironically my favorite pick was the Mississippi State kid this year, I think he has legit potential down the road.

I think people kind of sleep on the fact his production was insane in the SEC.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I think people kind of sleep on the fact his production was insane in the SEC.

I’ve always felt as though intelligence is a criminally underrated skill for linebackers. The ability to diagnose plays and read run vs pass and fit is huge. Worth keeping an eye on.

23 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

My issue with Wills is that he’s constantly getting banged up.

Jed gets his own people injured and knocked out for the year. The reason we lost Conklin for the season in the first game in 23

Posted (edited)

Ignoring QB, I think the organizations priorities position wise are-

1. Pass rush (draft picks + Jim Washburn, Mike Vrabel, Jim Schwartz).

2. Pass defend

3. Pass catch

4. Pass block

Edited by candyman93

10 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If they resign him it's only because he has a 12 million dead cap hit in 2025 so they could save some short term money. It would have to be a contract they could get out of.

I think you could draft a random 3rd round tackle and get about the same production. With a lot higher upside.

6 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I think you could draft a random 3rd round tackle and get about the same production. With a lot higher upside.

You’re right

If he resigns on the cheaper end, he will be brought back. If he has an over inflated sense of his value and thinks he’s worth top 5 money, he’s done here.

If he wants top 10-15 money, I’d do it. Only due to comfortability and not wanting to blow a draft pick on a replacement. 

I really want to dedicate higher end resources to adding pass catchers.

If they resign him it's only because he has a 12 million dead cap hit in 2025 so they could save some short term money. It would have to be a contract they could get out of.

that dead cap and how they structured his current deal is exactly why I think they plan to resign him.  They didn’t do that on accident.  I think the only way they eat the dead cap and let him walk is if he looks terrible this year.

I think a lot of fans think this and generally speaking I think they’d probably be wrong most of the time.

He’s not been the elite player you hope for when you take a guy at 10, but he’s a fairly average starting tackle and finding a guy who can do that is easier said than done.  

The perception of Wills is centered around his draft position and poor body language at times more than his actual play imo.

27 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

You’re right

27 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

If he wants top 10-15 money, I’d do it. Only due to comfortability and not wanting to blow a draft pick on a replacement. 

If you think the former is true, the latter is an absurd statement imo.

Posted (edited)

I just don’t have faith in our pass catchers outside of Cooper and Njoku. Jeudy will be a reliable #2 or very strong #3 worst case. Njoku needs to be like a #4 option.

I think Thrash could evolve into something, but the other young dudes need to show something.

I want 1 legit vertical deep threat and 1 6’4+ monster if possible.

Edited by candyman93

10 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I don’t understand how Chad O’Shea has a job still.

I feel like he’s gone after this year.

I think I found the reason

22 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I just don’t have faith in our pass catchers outside of Cooper and Njoku. Jeudy will be a reliable #2 or very strong #3 worst case. Njoku needs to be like a #4 option.

I think Thrash could evolve into something, but the other young dudes need to show something.

I want 1 legit vertical deep threat and 1 6’4+ monster if possible.

I always found the better talent I had, the better coach I was. Bluntly our pass catching room outside of Coop and Njoku sucks.

Edited by MWil23