• Byron Jones (Dolphins)
    • Marshon Lattimore (Saints)
    • Stephon Gilmore (Patriots)
    • Joe Haden (Steelers)
    • Richard Sherman (49ers)
    • Shaquill Griffin (Seahawks)
    • Another player that wasn't listed

5 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

First off, you're late to the party. Show up on time from now on. Secondly, I 100% believe there's an argument to be made, I just don't feel like making it. This was a month ago bro.

Will you make it next month

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

i prefer to be fashionably late to any party i go to.

now that thats out of the way, is this a joke? its such a cliche i honestly think it may be.... you can make the argument you just dont feel like doing it right now? really?

Slay was recently voted to be ranked the 4th overall corner in the league by ESPN positional rankings. These rankings are a composite score from executives, coaches, scouts, and players from around the league. His high mark was 2nd, and his low mark was 12th for this particular ranking. Slay has allowed the league’s third-lowest completion percentage as the nearest defender — 51.8% — over the past three seasons. His 85 forced incompletions since 2014 are the most in the NFL. Slay accrued all of this success while shadowing the opposition's top WR week in and week out. There. It's arguable. @Yin-Yang @notthatbluestuff

Edited by EagleBlueDon

3 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Slay was recently voted to be ranked the 4th overall corner in the league by ESPN positional rankings. These rankings are a composite score from executives, coaches, scouts, and players from around the league. His high mark was 2nd, and his low mark was 12th for this particular ranking. Slay has allowed the league’s third-lowest completion percentage as the nearest defender — 51.8% — over the past three seasons. His 85 forced incompletions since 2014 are the most in the NFL. Slay accrued all of this success while shadowing the opposition's top WR week in and week out. There. It's arguable. @Yin-Yang @notthatbluestuff

On 7/5/2020 at 9:24 PM, Yin-Yang said:

What argument does Slay have to be better than Gilmore, Hayward, or White?

How is placing 4th an argument for being 1st?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

How is placing 4th an argument for being 1st?

He certainly has an argument to be placed on the poll (mentioned, in other words). Which if you scroll back, was my initial "gripe", if you will. Having no argument to be argued as the top CB is certainly a silly thing to say about him though. My big thing is, how many of these guys, who are viewed as the top corners in the league, travel with the opposition's top WR week in and week out?

11 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

He certainly has an argument to be placed on the poll (mentioned, in other words). Which if you scroll back, was my initial "gripe", if you will.

The poll is for #1 corner in the league. The only thing you’ve posted so far places him 4th. How is placing 4th = maybe 1st? 

Having no argument to be argued as the top CB is certainly a silly thing to say about him though.

What argument does Slay have for being better than Gilmore, Hayward, or White?

My big thing is, how many of these guys, who are viewed as the top corners in the league, travel with the opposition's top WR week in and week out?

Gilmore. White does both. Alexander. Ravens played a ton of man with Peters/Humphrey. Hayward does it more than I thought, after looking it up. Lattimore. Peterson. Ramsey did, Rams did, but I’m not sure about Ramsey with the Rams. 

It’s not that rare. This forum has become a hive of “this player may perform worse, but he has it worse than other player, so he’s better”, which is really no way to base out an argument. When it’s close, like Revis and Sherman, you might throw that in there. Slay has zero argument as better than Gilmore. You’ve yet to present anything otherwise.

Edited by Yin-Yang

56 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

but no, its not. none of the numbers you posted are at the top. The question isnt who is a good corner, its who is the best and its simply not slay. Theres really only two acceptable answers, tre white or gilmore. 

Edited by GSUeagles14
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

The poll is for #1 corner in the league. The only thing you’ve posted so far places him 4th. How is placing 4th = maybe 1st? 

What argument does Slay have for being better than Gilmore, Hayward, or White?

Gilmore. White does both. Alexander. Ravens played a ton of man with Peters/Humphrey. Hayward does it more than I thought, after looking it up. Lattimore. Peterson. Ramsey did, Rams did, but I’m not sure about Ramsey with the Rams. 

It’s not that rare. This forum has become a hive of “this player may perform worse, but he has it worse than other player, so he’s better”, which is really no way to base out an argument. When it’s close, like Revis and Sherman, you might throw that in there. Slay has zero argument as better than Gilmore. You’ve yet to present anything otherwise.

4th absolutely means maybe 1st. Being merely 3 spots behind a #1 ranked corner is for sure worthy of having a conversation about. The other guys in this list and that are being mentioned are nowhere near prime Revis, Sherman, etc. Therefore, the argument is valid imo. It's not a major high bar to clear when you tell me Stephon Gilmore is the #1 ranked corner. He's good but he's not obviously the best corner like Sherman and Revis were in their days.

1 minute ago, EagleBlueDon said:

4th absolutely means maybe 1st. Being merely 3 spots behind a #1 ranked corner is for sure worthy of having a conversation about. The other guys in this list and that are being mentioned are nowhere near prime Revis, Sherman, etc. Therefore, the argument is valid imo. It's not a major high bar to clear when you tell me Stephon Gilmore is the #1 ranked corner. He's good but he's not obviously the best corner like Sherman and Revis were in their days.

The logic in this makes so little sense... you high bruh?

regardless of gilmore or whites level of play, slays clearly is not as high. you dont need to be an all time great to be better than another player. 

7 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

4th absolutely means maybe 1st. Being merely 3 spots behind a #1 ranked corner is for sure worthy of having a conversation about.

Okay, so you’re saying the number 4 is arguably bigger than or equal to the number 1, riiiight...

Unless you’re saying the only thing you bring to the table is flawed - which is fine, most things are - but by that standard #4 is debatably #7 or #8. 

The other guys in this list and that are being mentioned are nowhere near prime Revis, Sherman, etc. Therefore, the argument is valid imo. It's not a major high bar to clear when you tell me Stephon Gilmore is the #1 ranked corner. He's good but he's not obviously the best corner like Sherman and Revis were in their days.

Gilmore is coming off a year as good as any year Revis or Sherm had (Revis decisively wins in which #1s he covered in 09). Even if you don’t believe that to be true (which, it is statistically), you don’t need to be a GOAT to be decisively better. You STILL haven’t posted a single thing that suggests Slay is better than or equal to Gilmore. Not one.

Edited by Yin-Yang

Again, I'm not even arguing that Slay is better than Gilmore, White, etc. My argument is that he was deserving of being on the damn poll, and that he deserves to be mentioned with the top guys. It's not asinine to argue that the 4th ranked anything is actually 1st ranked imo. I'm really not even arguing that here though. But I do believe that anecdote to be true.

7 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Again, I'm not even arguing that Slay is better than Gilmore, White, etc. My argument is that he was deserving of being on the damn poll, and that he deserves to be mentioned with the top guys. It's not asinine to argue that the 4th ranked anything is actually 1st ranked imo. I'm really not even arguing that here though. But I do believe that anecdote to be true.

The poll is #1 CB. If you’re not in the conversation for first - which by design, would mean better than or equal to reigning DPOY Gilmore - then you’re not in the conversation for the poll. Slay wasn’t put on because no one except staunch Eagles fans would vote for him. 

I guess the 4th best DT, whomever that may be, is arguably better than Aaron Donald...

EDIT: And that’s just ESPN. PFF, PFN, the actual player’s votes (taken with a massive grain of salt), the AP, the pro bowl, nobody has Slay first or close to it. 

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

The poll is #1 CB. If you’re not in the conversation for first - which by design, would mean better than or equal to reigning DPOY Gilmore - then you’re not in the conversation for the poll. Slay wasn’t put on because no one except staunch Eagles fans would vote for him. 

I guess the 4th best DT, whomever that may be, is arguably better than Aaron Donald...

EDIT: And that’s just ESPN. PFF, PFN, the actual player’s votes (taken with a massive grain of salt), the AP, the pro bowl, nobody has Slay first or close to it. 

Aaron Donald compared to Tre White or Gilmore are two totally different stratospheres of #1s.

25 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Aaron Donald compared to Tre White or Gilmore are two totally different stratospheres of #1s.

It's not asinine to argue that the 4th ranked anything is actually 1st ranked imo.

But I do believe that anecdote to be true.

Gilmore just won DPOY. 

So we can agree at this point, you don’t have anything that says Slay >= Gilmore? 

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Gilmore just won DPOY. 

So we can agree at this point, you don’t have anything that says Slay >= Gilmore? 

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Gilmore just won DPOY. 

Again, I'm not arguing that Slay is better than Gilmore. I'm arguing that he's worthy of being in the poll/discussion much like the other options listed.