• Byron Jones (Dolphins)
    • Marshon Lattimore (Saints)
    • Stephon Gilmore (Patriots)
    • Joe Haden (Steelers)
    • Richard Sherman (49ers)
    • Shaquill Griffin (Seahawks)
    • Another player that wasn't listed

5 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

It’s not a thread discussing good CBs. It’s a vote for the #1, which Slay really doesn’t have any argument for whatsoever.

"Whatsoever" is a little strong imo. Idk enough about the other guys, but I do wonder if they all travel with #1 guys and have little to no pass rush to bail them out.

6 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

"Whatsoever" is a little strong imo. Idk enough about the other guys, but I do wonder if they all travel with #1 guys and have little to no pass rush to bail them out.

What argument does Slay have to be better than Gilmore, Hayward, or White?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

What argument does Slay have to be better than Gilmore, Hayward, or White?

Are their responsibilities to travel with #1's? Like I said idk enough about their responsibilities. Although I will say that Hayward, Gilmore, and White definitely benefit from playing with superior talent around them in comparison to Slay. For whatever that's worth.

46 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Are their responsibilities to travel with #1's? Like I said idk enough about their responsibilities. Although I will say that Hayward, Gilmore, and White definitely benefit from playing with superior talent around them in comparison to Slay. For whatever that's worth.

Gilmore does. Hayward and White, to my knowledge, primarily play sides. So does Sherm. Unsure how the Rams used Ramsey or how the Ravens used Humphrey. 

So what argument does Slay have over Gilmore, White, or Hayward?

8 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Yeah this was kinda my point too lol. Might as well just make it a write in altogether if you're just gonna throw random names out.

We're not talking about Academy Award nominations here, man, it's not meant as some slight that I forgot some random name from a list of CBs. Would you vote for him if he was there? If not, who cares?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Gilmore does. Hayward and White, to my knowledge, primarily play sides. So does Sherm. Unsure how the Rams used Ramsey or how the Ravens used Humphrey. 

So what argument does Slay have over Gilmore, White, or Hayward?

I thought the pats ran that system where the CB1 covered WR2, and CB2 and CB3 doubled WR1 or something like that? And the argument that Slay has is his assignments week in and week out are a much higher degree of difficulty in comparison to those guys if they do indeed only play sides. He has put up elite grades and statistics for years all while covering the league's best week in and week out.

7 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

We're not talking about Academy Award nominations here, man, it's not meant as some slight that I forgot some random name from a list of CBs. Would you vote for him if he was there? If not, who cares?

I would have considered it. Other people might have considered it as well. I feel that some people may look at your listed CBs as the very best, or as the most logical choices. A bias can be created when a player's name is included in a list, and when there is a simple vote option at disposal.

1 hour ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I thought the pats ran that system where the CB1 covered WR2, and CB2 and CB3 doubled WR1 or something like that?

Nah. NE is pretty fluid in the grand scheme of things - they did the above while Revis was here (and with Malcolm Butler as well). For instance, Revis would cover Emmanuel Sanders 1-on-1 and then Browner would take DT with McCourty over the top. If a team only had one great receiver and meh depth, Revis would just take them. Talib would typically cover #1s. But since Gilmore came to town, after some very so-so games with miscommunications in zone, they had Gilmore man up usually on the #1. JC has been the shutdown #2 for the most part (20+ yards downfield, he has twice as many interceptions as completions - not a typo). 

And the argument that Slay has is his assignments week in and week out are a much higher degree of difficulty in comparison to those guys if they do indeed only play sides. He has put up elite grades and statistics for years all while covering the league's best week in and week out.

Slay’s actually coming off one of his worst seasons, while the other three at the top have been very consistent the past couple years. Even aside from this past year, he wasn’t grading out with Hayward or Gilmore. 

And how far does that assignment/competition thing go? Is Stafford on par with Mahomes because he doesn’t have Hill, Kelce, and Reid? Is Kenny Golladay on par with Michael Thomas because he doesn’t have Drew Brees throwing him the ball? Is Mike Vrabel on par with Bill Belichick because he hasn’t had a Tom Brady yet? I’m not saying to ignore context, but I’m also not going to say a lesser player is better than a superior player because the former isn’t playing with help.

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 12:52 PM, EagleBlueDon said:

I thought the pats ran that system where the CB1 covered WR2, and CB2 and CB3 doubled WR1 or something like that? And the argument that Slay has is his assignments week in and week out are a much higher degree of difficulty in comparison to those guys if they do indeed only play sides. He has put up elite grades and statistics for years all while covering the league's best week in and week out.

That was the model in 2014. But I think that was largely induced by Browner being more physical. Butler covered OBJ in 2015. Gilmore is definitely getting the hardest tasks nowadays 

On 7/6/2020 at 12:57 PM, EagleBlueDon said:

I would have considered it. Other people might have considered it as well. I feel that some people may look at your listed CBs as the very best, or as the most logical choices. A bias can be created when a player's name is included in a list, and when there is a simple vote option at disposal.

then youre an unquestionable homer for a guy thats been on your team for all of 3 months. No, hes not the best corner in the league and theres no argument that he has. So what exactly is the point?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

then youre an unquestionable homer for a guy thats been on your team for all of 3 months. No, hes not the best corner in the league and theres no argument that he has. So what exactly is the point?

First off, you're late to the party. Show up on time from now on. Secondly, I 100% believe there's an argument to be made, I just don't feel like making it. This was a month ago bro.

2 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

First off, you're late to the party. Show up on time from now on. Secondly, I 100% believe there's an argument to be made, I just don't feel like making it. This was a month ago bro.

i prefer to be fashionably late to any party i go to.

now that thats out of the way, is this a joke? its such a cliche i honestly think it may be.... you can make the argument you just dont feel like doing it right now? really?