Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

11 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

$40M tied to 5 players until 2025. They've got 2-3 seasons tops with this core before it's onto a full on rebuild in my opinion.

They are really exposing themselves to lose someone like Meier this off season. If I'm the Devils, I don't even hesitate to give him an offer that is goingn to be really hard to match, and his cost would be a 1st / 2nd /3rd, which I'll give up all day if I'm the devils

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

They are really exposing themselves to lose someone like Meier this off season. If I'm the Devils, I don't even hesitate to give him an offer that is goingn to be really hard to match, and his cost would be a 1st / 2nd /3rd, which I'll give up all day if I'm the devils

I think they'd keep him. Nyquist and Donskoi would be sacrificed in this scenario imo.

Best offersheet target this offseason is the Maple Leaf duo of Kapanen and Johansson. $4M/yr means you give up a 2nd and both could be good 2nd line forwards who can chip in 15-25g every season.

7 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

I think they'd keep him. Nyquist and Donskoi would be sacrificed in this scenario imo.

Best offersheet target this offseason is the Maple Leaf duo of Kapanen and Johansson. $4M/yr means you give up a 2nd and both could be good 2nd line forwards who can chip in 15-25g every season.

Nyquist and Donskoi have already been sacrificed though. 

They have 12 million in space left after EK. If someone offer sheets Meier at 8.2 or something? It becomes really interesting. They're going to have to sacrifice others. I think Lablanc has to go at the very least (50 point scorer, he's getting at least 5 on a bridge deal), and that basically rules out Pavelski returning as well. He's still playing at a high level and will be in demand. He could get the VGK - Stastny deal from last year pretty easily. So in order to make that work, they probably have to unload Dillon and Braun. 

Kapanen isn't a great player in my opinion. I've found him to be underwhelming. I don't think that you're getting an upper echelon player there. Yeah, he's worth a second, but he doesn't move the needle for me (that's just an opinion of him as a player though). Meier is going to be a consistent 30 goal scorer for years to come in my opinion, and that's a rare thing. 

40 minutes ago, Forge said:

Kapanen isn't a great player in my opinion. I've found him to be underwhelming. I don't think that you're getting an upper echelon player there. Yeah, he's worth a second, but he doesn't move the needle for me (that's just an opinion of him as a player though). Meier is going to be a consistent 30 goal scorer for years to come in my opinion, and that's a rare thing. 

39 points at ES in his first full season is pretty encouraging.  Toronto had really positive shot rates for with him on the ice (shot rates against weren't great though).  

Even with just marginal improvement a 45 ES point winger is pretty damn valuable.

9 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Are you guys trading Shattenkirk? Deangelo? With Fox coming in, your right side is pretty full..

Feel like Shatty might be the odd man out in that situation.  Though if he is healthy again, Fox would probably go to the AHL.  Can't necessarily assume he is ready for the NHL right away until he shows it.

1 minute ago, roysmyboy31 said:

Feel like Shatty might be the odd man out in that situation.  Though if he is healthy again, Fox would probably go to the AHL.  Can't necessarily assume he is ready for the NHL right away until he shows it.

Fox wanted to leave the Flames and then Carolina because he didn't want competition on the right side. I'd be extremely surprised if he isn't in the NHL next season.

1 hour ago, roysmyboy31 said:

Awesome.  #1 caliber Dman who is still young and can grow with our new core.  Gorton did a fantastic job here.

I really don't see Trouba as a #1, his shot rates are pretty mediocre.  Solid offensive guy but I think when people classify him as a shutdown guy it's just too much.  

That said a late 1st and a pretty bad defenseman is a really good deal for NYR.  If the Flyers had paid 11 plus a prospect I would have been pissed.

17 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

Lol the amount of times I heard it was going to cost the Flyers 11 and Myers makes this great.  Sucks its to the Rangers though. 

The report was they wanted two of three of bratt / boqvist / Smith from the devils

• Like 2