Star Lotuleilei, EJ Gaines opt out of season

BillsGuy82

They get 5 mil to the cap which puts them at 23 mil in cap space for this year. Down side is they have a cap hit of 4.5 mil in 2021 and 2.5 mil 2022 for Star. It gives Butler and Harrison a chance to show what they can do and be the guy this year and possibly long term if they are willing to move on from star after the year. One guy was eventually going to get cut and Star wasnt one of them so I am kind of glad this worked out this way as I would hate to see Harrison be let go because of Butler and star contract and limited roster spots.

Highly doubt it happens but come on and cut Murphy take his cap savings of 8+ mil along with the 5 mil for star and throw a 13 mil 1 year deal at clowney so we can upgrade the pass rusher for just this year.

On 8/2/2020 at 10:24 AM, Trentwannabe said:

Bills are still 4 strong at CB but I was excited to see Gaines push Wallace and Norman. 

Yes but with his track record of not staying healthy and his contract having nothing but $25k in guarantees Ej took the smart approach by locking in the 150k. It will hurt him next year but I believe the bills will have him under that contract where he will be due 975k if that is the case that can be their longer term answer to #2 cb as next offseason ej, wallace, and norman would be all free agents at that time. So Ej would then be the front runner for the starting job if both norman and wallace walk. Leaving Ej to battle it out with less competition and it will give the bills that back up option without having to spend big especially with tre seeking a new deal.