49ers and GM John Lynch Agree to Contract Extension

J-ALL-DAY

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

The most surprising thing for me is that this may be strictly a GM extension? I was really expecting a football ops president role in there. 

I mean do we know that for sure? Maybe he can later get promoted to another position? Or it is possible that fans are more obsessed with the thought of promoting to Lynch to another position and Peters to GM. Peters will be hot on the market next offseason and we shall see how the team proceeds. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean do we know that for sure? Maybe he can later get promoted to another position? Or it is possible that fans are more obsessed with the thought of promoting to Lynch to another position and Peters to GM. Peters will be hot on the market next offseason and we shall see how the team proceeds. 

I would hope he can always later get promoted to another position. It'd be a weird for the extension to be like, "you can't get promoted" lol

Obviously, we don't know for sure, but while hiding / not disclosing the financials of the contract makes sense, I'm not sure why you wouldn't disclose if it included an additional title (especially one that is often seen as a step up), so I think it's reasonable to assume that it's for the GM role. I just would have though that the team would have been prepping for the Peters thing...though in fairness, maybe they are content to let him try and spread his wings on his own. This FO is very clearly a corroborative effort between multiple parties, so removing one person may not be seen as that impactful. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I would hope he can always later get promoted to another position. It'd be a weird for the extension to be like, "you can't get promoted" lol

Obviously, we don't know for sure, but while hiding / not disclosing the financials of the contract makes sense, I'm not sure why you wouldn't disclose if it included an additional title (especially one that is often seen as a step up), so I think it's reasonable to assume that it's for the GM role. I just would have though that the team would have been prepping for the Peters thing...though in fairness, maybe they are content to let him try and spread his wings on his own. This FO is very clearly a corroborative effort between multiple parties, so removing one person may not be seen as that impactful. 

Also, who knows if Peters even wants to be a GM here knowing Shanahan will get the ultimate say so and Lynch will be above him. So he could be GM by title but wouldn't truly have GM responsibilities like he would elsewhere. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Also, who knows if Peters even wants to be a GM here knowing Shanahan will get the ultimate say so and Lynch will be above him. So he could be GM by title but wouldn't truly have GM responsibilities like he would elsewhere. 

That's what I was thinking about the letting him go and spread his wings. I don't think anyone under this current structure has a full fledged, traditional GM type position. Even Lynch. Too many cooks in the kitchen. Someone has the final say, but it doesn't seem like it's always necessarily lynch, either (obviously it appears that Shanny has a huge say over the offensive personnel)

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's what I was thinking about the letting him go and spread his wings. I don't think anyone under this current structure has a full fledged, traditional GM type position. Even Lynch. Too many cooks in the kitchen. Someone has the final say, but it doesn't seem like it's always necessarily lynch, either (obviously it appears that Shanny has a huge say over the offensive personnel)

Shanahan until he is the HC will always have the most power and last say. HE is the one that essentially hired Lynch and not the other way around as it usually is. Shanny was the prized possession of the offseason that year. It is clear when he wants something, it gets done. I'm sure he lets Lynch/Peters have their say and let them do their thing, but when he wants to put his foot down, he does....And from all the trade ups for his "guys," we have seen how it has worked out lol. But overall, Shanahan/Lynch are a good duo. Meant for each other. Lynch is the type of guy you want in front of the camera whenever something happens and he has the cool, calming demeanor that helps Shanahan who gets a little too paranoid at times. 

39 minutes ago, N4L said:

I dont know why it was only a 5 year extension. Does lynch have kids that are going to enter HS next year or something? Maybe he just wants flexibility to move across the country?

Dang, how many years were expecting? A 10 year extension? Lol, I think he may have one daughter still going to HS and his other two kids in college, but not positive there. Either way, five years is quite a bit of time and allows for another extension down the line or maybe he just decides this is it and wants to do something else towards the end of the contract. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Dang, how many years were expecting? A 10 year extension? Lol, I think he may have one daughter still going to HS and his other two kids in college, but not positive there. Either way, five years is quite a bit of time and allows for another extension down the line or maybe he just decides this is it and wants to do something else towards the end of the contract. 

I think he meant why not 6, to sync with Shanahan

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I wouldn't have brought it up if kyle signed a 5 year extension. I am just trying to find a reason why they are different lengths

1 minute ago, 49ersfan said:

I think he meant why not 6, to sync with Shanahan

Just now, N4L said:

I wouldn't have brought it up if kyle signed a 5 year extension. I am just trying to find a reason why they are different lengths

Ah, got it. Not sure here either unless it was Shanahan who wanted the additional year on his deal over Lynch. But that sounds unlikely so it was probably Lynch's choice.