Food Draft - Discussion Thread - Draft Starts Tuesday (8/4)

MKnight82

1 minute ago, SwAg said:

I'm just slightly concerned about what the determining factor is.  What is the typography and distinction for all of this?  If it's simply whether something is branded differently, then that is super artificial.

Someone could draft coconut milk, and I could draft Trader Joe's brand coconut milk that is branded coconut beverage.  So, the distinction would have to be what the substance actually is... and that becomes difficult to delineate.  Even the flour example: flour is simply a grinding some dry ingredient into a powder, which is the same as arrowroot powder.

There are a million variables here so we're just going to half to use common sense.  Branding is not a consideration.  

As I stated before, all flour is now gone.  You can still draft flour substitutes.  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

There are a million variables here so we're just going to half to use common sense.  Branding is not a consideration.  

As I stated before, all flour is now gone.  You can still draft flour substitutes.  

I think he's trying to get to what constitutes a flour substitute

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

What is the determining factor

This is the definition of flour:  "powder substance, typically used in cooking or baking, derived from grinding raw grains, roots, nuts, legumes, seeds, and other substances that vary by culture and resource availability."

So, what arbitrary deviation are you proposing for a flour substitute here?

If you don't have any flour in your kitchen what else would you use?

This is becoming arbitrary and unpredictable, which is definitively going to lead to argument whenever you make some decision that is anything less than this absolute edict you're proposing at present.

Just now, SwAg said:

This is becoming arbitrary and unpredictable, which is definitively going to lead to argument whenever you make some decision that is anything less than this absolute edict you're proposing at present.

I'm open to suggestions if you think you have something that works better. 

You guys are seriously overthinking this.

I'm wanting a set of rules to formulate a strategy in a draft-style game that I can be confident that others will be held to as well, which is being depleted with every post because you're essentially stating that the determining factor will be... even you don't know.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm open to suggestions if you think you have something that works better. 

Well, flour is a rough example.  Either specify, or categorize it further.  There are different types of flours that you use for different methods of cooking that would not overlap at all.

2 minutes ago, SwAg said:

I'm wanting a set of rules to formulate a strategy in a draft-style game that I can be confident that others will be held to as well, which is being depleted with every post because you're essentially stating that the determining factor will be... even you don't know.

He changed his pick to wheat flour.  Move on.