Washington working out WR Dontrelle Inman

turtle28

We are hosting  wide receiver Dontrelle Inman' 

https://riggosrag.com/2020/08/03/washington-football-team-hosts-wide-receiver-dontrelle-inman/

Based on recent reports, it seems as though Ron Rivera and company are indeed scouring the free agent pool, to see if they can make any depth additions at this point in the offseason. According to Field Yates of ESPN, the team hosted veteran wide receiver Dontrelle Inman on a visit over the weekend. Yates noted that, due to virus concerns, visits are only being permitted if a signing is likely, so be on the lookout for a correlating transaction regarding Inman to occur, unless plans change.

Inman, 31, has forged a solid career at the NFL level, since coming into the league as an undrafted free agent in 2011. Inman initially signed with the Chicago Bears after completing his collegiate career with the Virginia Cavaliers, but the Bears would not keep him past the 2011 offseason. Inman then took his talents to the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL, where he did enough in two seasons to earn another NFL audition with the Chargers in 2014.

Inman’s signing with the Chargers would catalyze his emergence onto the NFL stage. His production steadily increased from year to year, until in 2016, Inman logged career highs in every category, registering 58 catches for 810 yards and four touchdowns on 97 targets.

I’m fine with this if we sign him. It’s not a huge upgrade but it’s a solid vet who can be a reliable #2 and he’s someone that our young guys may be able to beat out for the #2 spot also.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

12 receptions in the last 2 years. We must really need a veteran presence. 🙄

Not that it means much bc it’s still not impressive, he had 12 recs last year. He played on 2 teams in 2019 - Chargers & Colts.

Here are his career stats:

2018: 28 recs, 304 yds, 3 TDs

2017: 25 recs, 333 yds, 1 TD 

2016: 58 recs, 810 yds, 4 TDs

2015: 35 recs, 486 yds, 3 TDs

He played a role in the Colts 2018 playoff run:

vs. Houston: 4 recs, 53 yds, 1 TD

vs. Kansas City: 4 recs, 55 yds

Look, to me this is an incase ish signing. The hope is still that AGG, Gibson or one of the other young WRs like Cam Sims, Quinn or Isaiah Wright step up to be our 3rd best WR.

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I want Isaiah Wright to ball out and make this team. I think he’s a dynamic player with the ball in his hands. Hope the lack of pre-season and Inman doesn’t prevent this from happening. 

I doubt it would. If these young guys are better and show the potential that will show up in practice. A guy like Wright should flash in practice the way Steven Sims did last year.

Former Wahoo so always like them signings.Think it's a good signing that gives us a vet in the WR room which we don't have and someone who can handle the other outside WR role if one the youngsters isn't ready.It isn't a big signing but one that could help us with very little downside to me.

• Like 1

Solid signing, particularly given that they’re clearly not interested in ramping up the risk/reward with someone like Gordon. 

Inman has always been a high-level route runner, it’s really his calling card. That’s something we probably won’t have much of in our cadre of non-McLaurin/non-Sims receivers, so I like the idea of adding a technician who will probably be more reliable for Haskins than guys like AGG or C. Sims. Particularly with no TEs to speak of, it’s going to be critical to have at least a couple receivers who Haskins can rely on to at least give him an opening to throw the ball into. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If we are doing this, it makes no sense to not sign Donald Penn at this point, or seriously consider a trade for a tight end considering our lack of depth at that position. 

Refusing to do either of those things has really never made much sense. Not sure what the asking price would be for any TEs that would be a meaningful upgrade, so perhaps that’s a reason not to move there — but it’s always been unclear to me why they would just go into the season with a blind hope at LT. 

Incidentally, Dontrelle Inman is not a bad player. He’s always had injury troubles, but he’s actually pretty decent when he’s out there. Good size, and he’s a technician. As I said above, they’re probably starting to get concerned about the starting WR job across from McLaurin (better late than never, I guess), and they want to get someone into the building who at the very least could be a consistent and reliable presence for Haskins if AGG and C. Sims are still as raw as I think they are when the opener rolls around. If he’s healthy, Inman can be that. He’s a better player than Cody Latimer has ever been, that much is for sure.