Which of these should have won Superbowl MVP

Hunter2_1

should have won  

39 members have voted

1. 1. MVP

• Reggie White or Brett Favre over Desmond Howard (XXXI)
    • Dwight Smith over Dexter Jackson (XXXVII)
    • Timmy Smith over Doug Williams (XXII)
    • Damien Williams or Chris Jones over Patrick Mahomes (LIV)
    • Kam Chancellor over Malcolm Smith (XLVIII)
    • Jamal Lewis over Ray Lewis (XXXV)
    • Ty Law over Tom Brady (XXXVI)
    • James White over Tom Brady (LI)
    • Dominic Rhodes over Peyton Manning (XLI)
    • Terrell Davis over John Elway (XXXIII)
    • Rodney Harrison over Deion Branch (XXXIX)
    • Thurman Thomas over Ottis Anderson...despite losing (XXV)

I know it's not listed here, but I'd say Rod Martin maybe deserved MVP over Jim Plunkett in Super Bowl 15. He intercepted Ron Jaworoski 3 times, which is still a Super Bowl record. I'm not totally sure though, because Plunket did have a fabulous game himself throw for 3 touchdowns, zero picks, and 250 plus yards. One of his TD passes to Kenny King went 80 yards, which was set up nicely by a dime spiral from Plunket. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

Timmy Smith's bigger issue had less to do with Doug Williams, and more to do with the Hogs, IMO. Even the commentators in that game, IIRC, were commenting on how the Redskins were basically running the same run play repeatedly, either left or right, and the OL was just making massive holes. The issue wasn't a Smith versus Williams one, as much as it was the presumption that Smith's big day was the result of a great OL, while Williams involved more individual effort. And to be clear, there were some big holes. His 58 yard run had him untouched for like 40 yards of it.

Like, imagine, and I know it's hard, that the Cowboys win the superbowl this year. Both Zeke and Pollard go down to injury, and you have Sewo Olonilua or Rico Dowdle or whatever rookie wins their 3rd RB spot, rush for 200+ yards. The narrative probably isn't going to be that that no name rookie backup had a monster game, it's probably going to be about how Tyron Smith and Zack Martin and co dominated the other side all day.

10 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Timmy Smith's bigger issue had less to do with Doug Williams, and more to do with the Hogs, IMO. Even the commentators in that game, IIRC, were commenting on how the Redskins were basically running the same run play repeatedly, either left or right, and the OL was just making massive holes. The issue wasn't a Smith versus Williams one, as much as it was the presumption that Smith's big day was the result of a great OL, while Williams involved more individual effort. And to be clear, there were some big holes. His 58 yard run had him untouched for like 40 yards of it.

Like, imagine, and I know it's hard, that the Cowboys win the superbowl this year. Both Zeke and Pollard go down to injury, and you have Sewo Olonilua or Rico Dowdle or whatever rookie wins their 3rd RB spot, rush for 200+ yards. The narrative probably isn't going to be that that no name rookie backup had a monster game, it's probably going to be about how Tyron Smith and Zack Martin and co dominated the other side all day.

Sounds good enough for me to penalise Smith's case. 

11 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I know it's not listed here, but I'd say Rod Martin maybe deserved MVP over Jim Plunkett in Super Bowl 15. He intercepted Ron Jaworoski 3 times, which is still a Super Bowl record. I'm not totally sure though, because Plunket did have a fabulous game himself throw for 3 touchdowns, zero picks, and 250 plus yards. One of his TD passes to Kenny King went 80 yards, which was set up nicely by a dime spiral from Plunket. 

What are they actually judging with these things? I genuinely can't tell if the award goes to (by definition) the player who was the most valuable to your winning cause, or the best player on the day. Those two will ultimately mostly be the same player, but not always.

3 Interceptions...surely that had to have won the game, even though that QB had a great performance (especially if you consider the era). 

James Harrison would be another one....his play was crucial for the win, but he wasn't necessarily the best player on the day.

Brady and White; White had a career day. If you're a receiving RB and you put up those numbers, that's the best you can be probably. Best player on the day, probably. But obviously we don't win without TB either.

Edited by Hunter2_1

11 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What are they actually judging with these things? I genuinely can't tell if the award goes to (by definition) the player who was the most valuable to your winning cause, or the best player on the day. Those two will ultimately mostly be the same player, but not always.

3 Interceptions...surely that had to have won the game, even though that QB had a great performance (especially if you consider the era). 

James Harrison would be another one....his play was crucial for the win, but he wasn't necessarily the best player on the day.

Brady and White; White had a career day. If you're a receiving RB and you put up those numbers, that's the best you can be probably. Best player on the day, probably. But obviously we don't win without TB either.

I would say it's probably the most valuable to your winning cause for the game. That's how I've always looked at it. 

33 minutes ago, Chargers said:

Lmao I just remembered that Favre never won SBMVP but Desmond Howard did. How did that happen if most times a WR is doing well the QB gets credit.

WRs have occasionally come away with SB MVP awards, Holmes, Ward, Rice... Although in Howard’s case, he got his more for his efforts as a kick returner. Howard was a pretty feared return man that year, and his KR TD in the SB came right after NE had scored and it looked like they had all the momentum. It was a massive game changing play. 

Now, it’s debatable whether that should’ve been enough for him to get the award over Favre. I think I probably would’ve leaned towards him.

• Like 1

I only picked Rhodes but Rhodes, Addai, the O-line as a unit (or pick a guy) and Hayden all had better games than Manning

• Manning was good that day, the others were just better MVP options IMO.

Snell over Namath might be the most obvious one not listed.

I would also be fine with Law over Brady but that drive to get the FG was epic so you understand why the voters leaned that way.

• Madden famously told the Patriots to just go to OT rather than risk a mistake.
  • The kid was money on that drive and QBs will get lots of credit in that situation.