College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

For sure. Unfortunately though in R2 we are looking at a lot of guys like him (if we are lucky) or proven players who aren’t great testers or have injury problems. 

This is true.  I think he’s a guy though who will probably gain or lose as much if not more money than any other prospect based on the combine and pro day.

He may go R1 if the measurements are as reported and tests well.  If he shows up 6’5 240 and runs a 4.9 with a 31 inch vert, whew….

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is true.  I think he’s a guy though who will probably gain or lose as much if not more money than any other prospect based on the combine and pro day.

He may go R1 if the measurements are as reported and tests well.  If he shows up 6’5 240 and runs a 4.9 with a 31 inch vert, whew….

Absolutely agreed. If he tests even average for his position, I’d take a long look though. To go with his size/frame potential, you know that you’re getting a guy who is smart, works hard, won’t get into trouble, is coachable, and probably has a high motor. If he tests well, he’s an ideal prospect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Maybe I’m just an old, but I’m not a fan of the 6’4  245 pound TEs in most cases.  Sure, if they’re an explosive freak like Njoku that’s one thing, but guys like Harrison Bryant, Stephen Carlson or Miller Forestall?  What are we doing here?  

I mean….

Kelce is 6’5 250

Kittle is 6’4 250

Andrews is 6’5 250

14 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I mean….

Kelce is 6’5 250

255 coming out.  I’m sure he’s gained some weight since then.

Kittle is 6’4 250

he’s a freak, for sure.

Andrews is 6’5 250

256 coming out.

These guys are like 10-15 pounds heavier than guys like Bryant which on a relatively lean athlete is substantial.

If Bryant or any of our other dudes had the athleticism those guys do I’d understand but they’re just like meh athletically.  They’re not bullying anyone with their size or separating with their movement skills.  They’re just dudes who sit in open spots in zones or get open with misdirection/scheming.  If that’s what you’re gonna have to do to get them the ball, might as well do it with some enormous freak who’s like a 6th lineman in the run game.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

255 coming out.  I’m sure he’s gained some weight since then.

he’s a freak, for sure.

256 coming out.

These guys are like 10-15 pounds heavier than guys like Bryant which on a relatively lean athlete is substantial.

If Bryant or any of our other dudes had the athleticism those guys do I’d understand but they’re just like meh athletically.  They’re not bullying anyone with their size or separating with their movement skills.  They’re just dudes who sit in open spots in zones or get open with misdirection/scheming.  If that’s what you’re gonna have to do to get them the ball, might as well do it with some enormous freak who’s like a 6th lineman in the run game.

All of those guys I just mentioned are not known for being big bull dozers that just maul you to death in the run game. They’re all 3 finesse, but very skilled pass catchers in the 250’s range.

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Ok, I guess I’ll be “that guy”.

This dude (or any dude from a small school/service academy) is a huge gamble.  He racked up 17 sacks last season, which is great obv, but who did he do it against?  Did he play a single NFL quality prospect LT all season?  I see big games against Georgia State, Massachusetts, directional Kentucky…

This season, once the secret was out and teams could key on him he’s had 3.5 sacks… but they happened in only 2 games (2.5 against Texas-San Antonio).

Like, I get it.  Great physical frame, cool story, etc., but man it’s hard to love taking such an unproven player in R2 or higher.

Myles didn’t produce against anybody of note in college either. That was his biggest knock. Maxx Crosby produced against scrubs in college.

His sack total has decreased because he’s the only guy on Army’s entire team you have to actually scheme for.

If you only want kids who showed out vs nfl caliber players, you’re only going to draft SEC guys with occasional Big 10 / ACC kids.

Edited by candyman93

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Myles didn’t produce against anybody of note in college either. That was his biggest knock. Maxx Crosby produced against scrubs in college.

His sack total has decreased because he’s the only guy on Army’s entire team you have to actually scheme for.

If you only want kids who showed out vs nfl caliber players, you’re only going to draft SEC guys with occasional Big 10 / ACC kids.

I mean, Myles played in a power 5 conference and is a top 1% physical specimen by NFL standards.

He had 31 sacks and 47 tackles for loss. Stepped in as a freshman and had 11 sacks as an 18 year old.

As far as SEC/Big 10/ACC/etc., well… yeah, I guess that’s who I’d be drafting. Not to day talent can’t come from smaller schools, but it’s a whole lot harder to evaluate.

DE is one position I’d be comfortable with a smaller school guy IF the physical testing is there.  It’s largely a traits based position.

The NFL needs to institute a draft lottery. If one had existed for the 2012 draft, it could have benefited us greatly because if we had won the first pick, Andrew Luck would have been ours and we would have ended our playoff drought sooner.

11 minutes ago, pf9 said:

The NFL needs to institute a draft lottery. If one had existed for the 2012 draft, it could have benefited us greatly because if we had won the first pick, Andrew Luck would have been ours and we would have ended our playoff drought sooner.

Until he retired and we were completely unprepared 

7 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Until he retired and we were completely unprepared 

Although I will say I feel like the Browns would’ve protected him way better. He would likely be healthier and thus, play longer.

Given we’re the Browns though, he probably would’ve been arrested for aggravated murder after his rookie year. 

11 hours ago, pf9 said:

It’s worth considering for sure.  I think adding a lottery helps avoid tanking this time of year too, especially when you have a clearly identified #1 overall pick.

On 12/23/2022 at 8:36 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Like, I get it.  Great physical frame, cool story, etc., but man it’s hard to love taking such an unproven player in R2 or higher.

This, this is where I am with Carter. I just can’t expect him to come right in and do anything significant but just be a 3rd down rush guy. He is definitely a project (high level) but a project 

• Like 1