Future QB - who, how?

Mid Iowa

We all know we're going to need a new QB within the next year or so, so, who and how.

Weird angle - There's a lot of talk out there about Jimmy Garapalo. I wouldn't put it past New England to franchise him and then hit us up for our #1 and some other pick as a worthy replacement for Brees, and we all know the Saints would do it in a heartbeat. How much would he be worth to us? A 1st & 2nd? A 1st and conditional 3rd/4th?

Alex Smith is one of the most underrated QBs out there, in my opinion. He's likely on his way out of KC as they drafted a young stud to take over.

Kirk Cousins is probably the other underrated QB out there, and who knows what the 'Skins will do with him, but certainly worth mentioning.

These 3 are about the only 3 QB's that you could plug & play today, if needed. Everyone else is a project.

Keep in mind that there are several other teams in similar situations with aging (or just failing) QB's;
Saints - Brees
Steelers - Big Ben
Chargers - Phillip Rivers
Patriots - Tom Brady
Ravens - Flacco
Cincinnati - Dalton
Vikings - Bradford is always a question mark
Arizona - Palmer

And there are teams out there with "no" QB who will pay high for one;
Browns, Jets, (possibly) Miami, Bears (who knows, and no depth), 49ers

So yes, we're looking at a QB heavy draft, and there are at least 2 super desperate teams (Browns & Jets) and a few others who are quite needy - and there are a bunch of aging guys who will need to be replaced. This "replacement" battle is going to get expensive, and there will be blood. We're going to see trades and hurt feelings, as always.

This makes me think Brees stays at least one more season as there are only a few possibilities, at least that's how it looks on the surface.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:

We all know we're going to need a new QB within the next year or so, so, who and how.

Weird angle - There's a lot of talk out there about Jimmy Garapalo. I wouldn't put it past New England to franchise him and then hit us up for our #1 and some other pick as a worthy replacement for Brees, and we all know the Saints would do it in a heartbeat. How much would he be worth to us? A 1st & 2nd? A 1st and conditional 3rd/4th?

Alex Smith is one of the most underrated QBs out there, in my opinion. He's likely on his way out of KC as they drafted a young stud to take over.

Kirk Cousins is probably the other underrated QB out there, and who knows what the 'Skins will do with him, but certainly worth mentioning.

These 3 are about the only 3 QB's that you could plug & play today, if needed. Everyone else is a project.

Keep in mind that there are several other teams in similar situations with aging (or just failing) QB's;
Saints - Brees
Steelers - Big Ben
Chargers - Phillip Rivers
Patriots - Tom Brady
Ravens - Flacco
Cincinnati - Dalton
Vikings - Bradford is always a question mark
Arizona - Palmer

And there are teams out there with "no" QB who will pay high for one;
Browns, Jets, (possibly) Miami, Bears (who knows, and no depth), 49ers

So yes, we're looking at a QB heavy draft, and there are at least 2 super desperate teams (Browns & Jets) and a few others who are quite needy - and there are a bunch of aging guys who will need to be replaced. This "replacement" battle is going to get expensive, and there will be blood. We're going to see trades and hurt feelings, as always.

This makes me think Brees stays at least one more season as there are only a few possibilities, at least that's how it looks on the surface.

Thoughts?

One thing your forgetting... Brees can leave if he dosent get what he wants and the Saints cant franchise him.

Loomis has been clear that ponying up a big money longterm contract to a 39 year old QB isnt something hes willing to do. On the flip, Brees will not want to be in another lame duck season on a team that likley wont contend for a superbowl.

Despite the recent winning I still view this team as i did early in the year... Another 7-9 to 9-7 season with no playoffs. This will likley lead to Loomis making a major decision reguarding Brees this offseason that could reshape the enitre structure of the franchise.

Yes i could see Brees wanting to stay... IF Loomis is willing to meet not only his contracg demands money wise but length wise as well. Without a deep playoff run, I just dont see Loomis giving Brees what he wants.

I'm with worm here. I reckon it all depends on if this season earns a playoff spot or another season missing the playoffs. IF however Brees does leave, I think priority has to be get a QB through the draft. We'd have to suck for a season or two, but I'm not sure band aid fixes is the best way to approach this. Especially if we're thinking with some long term vision in mind.

The biggest advantage we have, is we have a fairly young core on both sides of the ball. Thomas, Kamara, Ram, Peat, Armstead, Warford, Anzalone, Rankins, Williams, Lattimore, Bell, Jordan are all young enough that we can go through the growing pains. However, the payoff if we select right, that is having a franchise QB on his rookie contract for 5 seasons is a big advantage.

Bigger question to me is, what do we do for a head coach if Payton leaves. Someone unproven or someone with experience.

58 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

I'm with worm here. I reckon it all depends on if this season earns a playoff spot or another season missing the playoffs. IF however Brees does leave, I think priority has to be get a QB through the draft. We'd have to suck for a season or two, but I'm not sure band aid fixes is the best way to approach this. Especially if we're thinking with some long term vision in mind.

The biggest advantage we have, is we have a fairly young core on both sides of the ball. Thomas, Kamara, Ram, Peat, Armstead, Warford, Anzalone, Rankins, Williams, Lattimore, Bell, Jordan are all young enough that we can go through the growing pains. However, the payoff if we select right, that is having a franchise QB on his rookie contract for 5 seasons is a big advantage.

Bigger question to me is, what do we do for a head coach if Payton leaves. Someone unproven or someone with experience.

Loomis perfers innovative young NFL assisstants... Not really a retread guy or someone who dips into the college ranks.

If we moved on id expect a young nfl assisstant to get the job and pair him with a young QB but i woulndt rule out guys like Jimmy G., AJ McCarron, etc.

With Luck eventually back, Jacoby Brisset is another player im intrigued by via trade.

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

I hope we just draft a guy early once we move on from Brees whenever that may be.

I do think of we move on (or if Brees does) this offense is built for instant success. I feel we could plug a guy like Jimmy G in with our line (when healthy), Thomas, Ingram & Kamara. We'd still be a potent offense.

Not record setting... But still real good.

9 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Loomis perfers innovative young NFL assisstants... Not really a retread guy or someone who dips into the college ranks.

If we moved on id expect a young nfl assisstant to get the job and pair him with a young QB but i woulndt rule out guys like Jimmy G., AJ McCarron, etc.

With Luck eventually back, Jacoby Brisset is another player im intrigued by via trade.

Any young NFL assistants you have an eye on?

Thoughts on Jim Bob Cooter from the Lions? Ignoring his name, he really has got the most out of Stafford, was QB coach and highly recommended by Manning.

9 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

Any young NFL assistants you have an eye on?

Thoughts on Jim Bob Cooter from the Lions? Ignoring his name, he really has got the most out of Stafford, was QB coach and highly recommended by Manning.

@whodatworm23 is really big on Cooter (no pun intended). I think the guy is good, just curious about the fit. 

Stafford has always been a good QB that needed some honing. We're talking about starting (possibly) from scratch with a QB, so a bit different, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, domepatrol91 said:

Like at #11? That would’ve been quite early.

This year wouldn't have made much sense to me as I hope we are able to keep Brees for a few years, but essentially yes when the time comes I wouldn't mind using our 1st round pick on a QB of the future.

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

This year wouldn't have made much sense to me as I hope we are able to keep Brees for a few years, but essentially yes when the time comes I wouldn't mind using our 1st round pick on a QB of the future.

I agree. "Quite early" was meant to be an observation, not a judgement of the move that could've been.

8 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

@whodatworm23 is really big on Cooter (no pun intended). I think the guy is good, just curious about the fit. 

Stafford has always been a good QB that needed some honing. We're talking about starting (possibly) from scratch with a QB, so a bit different, in my opinion.

I do love me some Cooter! ?

Seriously tho... Go back and watch Staffords development early on it was all about Megatron. Cooter really turned Stafford into a cerebral quarterback over the last few years.

Archived