What Jimmy Graham Brings

dll2000

First let me say it really sucks that NFL apps on multiple devices do not give play list on coaches film or allow you to draw on it.  

They had this feature years ago and made their product worse and I do not understand why.   HUDL or any number of coaching apps are a thousand times better than the mutli billion dollar NFL app.

But I digress.

I was watching a video early this morning and I noticed something that illustrated a point I have been making since offseason.

Many people were not impressed with Jimmy Graham signing.  He was old and was considered a bust in Seattle and Green Bay and he was expensive.

I agreed with too expensive part, but I have since stopped worrying about price on players.  It seems to me some teams can sign whoever they really want regardless of cap.  Within reason.  But I am not going to stress on contracts going forward unless they are truly outrageous.

And I credit Jimmy Graham with at least two key drops this season and counting.  BUT, he has been a huge asset to this offense.  Why?   Because A) he does make plays and more importantly B) defenses respect his ability to make plays and pay attention to him and that matters.

We have not had that in Chicago in some time.   

Look at this play to illustrate, but you can look at a number of plays that tell same story.   

This is the Miller play in end zone which is what everyone focuses on and rightly so.  But one player is not whole story of any play.  There are 11 guys on field doing something.   

The coverage is off man with a high safety and LB in underneath zone against 5 wide for Bears.    So 7 on 5 basically.    Falcons are trying to keep Bears out of end zone.   They want ball squeezed between off defender and deep safety or thrown short.    Its a tough play for a QB.

Graham occupies his man, the LB and freezes the safety for a second which is all Miller and Foles need.   That is value!   

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

First let me say it really sucks that NFL apps on multiple devices do not give play list on coaches film or allow you to draw on it.  

They had this feature years ago and made their product worse and I do not understand why.   HUDL or any number of coaching apps are a thousand times better than the mutli billion dollar NFL app.

But I digress.

I was watching a video early this morning and I noticed something that illustrated a point I have been making since offseason.

Many people were not impressed with Jimmy Graham signing.  He was old and was considered a bust in Seattle and Green Bay and he was expensive.

I agreed with too expensive part, but I have since stopped worrying about price on players.  It seems to me some teams can sign whoever they really want regardless of cap.  Within reason.  But I am not going to stress on contracts going forward unless they are truly outrageous.

And I credit Jimmy Graham with at least two key drops this season and counting.  BUT, he has been a huge asset to this offense.  Why?   Because A) he does make plays and more importantly B) defenses respect his ability to make plays and pay attention to him and that matters.

We have not had that in Chicago in some time.   

Look at this play to illustrate, but you can look at a number of plays that tell same story.   

This is the Miller play in end zone which is what everyone focuses on and rightly so.  But one player is not whole story of any play.  There are 11 guys on field doing something.   

The coverage is off man with a high safety and LB in underneath zone against 5 wide for Bears.    So 7 on 5 basically.    Falcons are trying to keep Bears out of end zone.   They want ball squeezed between off defender and deep safety or thrown short.    Its a tough play for a QB.

Graham occupies his man, the LB and freezes the safety for a second which is all Miller and Foles need.   That is value!   

lmao you can absolutely tell miller knew he dropped that ball because he got right up and ran straight to the sideline

8 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

The biggest thing he can offer is mentoring Kmet so he can learn to be a redzone threat with his own combo of size and athleticism. Graham has the best box out technique in the NFL. If Kmet doesnt practice that and learn from Graham he's a dumba$$.

That and catch touchdowns. He's better than I thought in red zone, drops aside