BDL 2020 Week 7 - Gotham Gashslayers @ Antarctica Katabatic Beasts

Ragnarok

Who wins?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Gotham Gashslayers
    • Antarctica Katabatic Beasts

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/29/2020 at 04:00 AM

BDL 2020 Week 7

Match: Gotham Gashslayers @ Antarctica Katabatic Beasts

Away Owner: @pheltzbahr

Home Owner: @Pickle Rick

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both.

GOTHAM

OFFENSE

QB - Derek Carr

RB - Josh Jacobs

WR - Tyreek Hill

WR - Jarvis Landry

WR - Tee Higgins

TE - Hayden Hurst

LT - Jake Matthews

LG - Laken Tomlinson

C - Maurkice Pouncey

RG - Shaq Mason

RT - Mike McGlinchey

RB - Mike Davis

RB - Adrian Peterson

WR - Jerry Jeudy

WR - Keelan Cole

TE - Eric Ebron

OL - Kaleb McGary

OL - Lucas Patrick

OL - Lloyd Cushenberry

DEFENSE

EDGE - Brandon Graham

INT - JJ Watt

INT - Chris Jones

EDGE - Jadaveon Clowney

LB - KJ Wright

LB - Zach Cunningham

CB - Xavien Howard

CB - Xavier Rhodes

CB - Jason Verrett

S - Minkah Fitzpatrick

S - Justin Simmons

EDGE - Whitney Mercilus

INT - Dontari Poe

INT - Corey Peters

LB - Germaine Pratt

LB - LJ Fort

CB - Rasul Douglas

CB - Vernon Hargreaves

S - Bradley McDougald

Antarctica Katabatic Beasts

Offensive Starters:

QB - Lamar Jackson

RB1 - Todd Gurley

WR1 - Chris Godwin 

WR2 - Stefon Diggs

WR3 - Ceedee Lamb

TE1 - Jimmy Graham

LT - Brandon Shell

LG - Dakota Dozier 

C - Ryan Kelly

RG/C2 - Tyler Biadasz

RT - Tytus Howard

Offensive Bench:

RB2 - Cam Akers

RB3 - Alexander Mattison

OG3 - Germain Ifedi

OT3 - Cam Robinson

TE2 - Cole Kmet

WR4 - Tre'quan Smith

WR5 - Van Jefferson

QB2 - Tua Tagovailoa

Defensive Starters:

DE - JPP

DT - DeForest Buckner

DT - Jaleel Johnson

DE - Frank Clark

LB - Roquan Smith 

LB2 - Demario Davis

CB1 - Joe Haden

CB2 - Marshon Lattimore 

Slot CB3: Jeff Okudah

FS - Anthony Harris

SS - Nasir Adderley 

Defensive Bench:

Dime CB4 - Charvarius Ward

LB3 - Myles Jack - OUT

LB4/DE3 - Harold Landry

DE4 - Josh Sweat

DT3 - Timmy Jernigan - FA

DT4 - Jordan Elliott

DT5 - B.J. Hill

Coming off a big divisional win, we are hitting stride as a team and look to solidify our status as a BDL Contender against an Antarctica squad that presents unique challenges of its own.  

GOTHAM

OFFENSE (50% Pass 50% Run) - 3 WR/TE/RB Base  

Our offense continues to seek balance with David Carr leading the way out of our 3 wide base.  Antarctica’s strength does not lie in their defense, and we think we can take advantage in the following ways:

Running Game:  We want to sustain drives in this matchup and will utilize all 3 of our RBs to keep them fresh, wearing out a thin defensive line.  Happy to get Shaq Mason back, we will again use our power run blocking scheme to open holes for Jacobs and Peterson and get to a second level missing the Beasts’ best LB, Myles Jack.  Establishing the run game should prevent the KB’s best defensive personnel, their EDGE defenders, from keying in on Carr.

Carry Splits:  Jacobs (60%)  Peterson (20%)  Davis (20%).

Passing Game:  We think Tyreek can have a big game against an underperforming Antarctica secondary, he will be targeted heavily if left in single coverage.  Tee Higgins gets the start this week, but Jeudy will be heavily rotated in for both Landry and Higgins to give their defense varied personnel looks and match up decisions.  Hayden Hurst gets the start this week as well, we like his potential to be overlooked by a back 7 that doesn’t feature a defender that matches his size and speed.

Formations:

• 3 WR Base - 60% - Use 4 WRs in heavy rotation to keep them fresh.  

• 12 Personnel - 20% - Hill/Higgins/Hurst/Ebron  Exploit mismatches with our TEs and use play action against 4-4 fronts to take deep shots to Reek and Higgins.

• 4 WR - Attack single coverages in man, especially Okudah.  Run routes at all 3 levels to find soft spots against zone.

DEFENSE - 4-2-5 Nickel Zone Base

While I’m not overwhelmed by Antarctica's defense, I am impressed by their potential to cause damage on offense.  With no real holes on our defense, we look to contain Lamar’s explosiveness. 

Lamar:  While not performing at his MVP level last year, Jackson is still as dangerous a RB playing QB as you will find.  I do not mean that as an insult in any way, its just how you have to defend him.  The NFL is on to Lamar and how to limit his explosive plays; play zone so the CBs aren’t turned away from him, keep him in front of you as a tackler, and clog him up at the line.  So that’s what we’ll do as well.

Cover 1/Cover 2/Cover 3 Nickel Zone - We’ll use mostly zone against 3WR Sets.  Sure Zone is generally easier to play and easier to complete short and intermediate throws against, but we think our playmakers in the secondary relish the thought of Lamar throwing a bunch down field in this game, I smell picks.  Antarctica has impressive WRs, but I think the challenge is for Lamar to get the ball to them...its not happening deep with my D Line harassing Lamar against a not so great O Line.  Minkah plays SPY out of Cover 1 looks.

4/3 SPY Meat Wall - Watt/Poe/Peters/Jones -  I could see us a lot in this formation with Antarctica’s insistence on running with both Gurley and Jackson.  Wright and Cunningham on the wings, with Pratt at MLB fortifies against the ground game, while providing coverage against short and intermediate routes from RBs and TEs..  With some unusual lineup choices recently, we will use this defense against heavy RB sets.  We will mix up man and zone out of this formation to keep Lamar guessing.

*Tua - If Tua happens to start this game for lulzy reasons, we're keeping our strat as is; with a focus on stopping the run game and forcing an unproven passer to beat us through the air.

ANTARCTICA

Motivation: Working on a new approach, i think it will lead to some victories soon. 

Personnel Changes: Brandon Shell who protects the best QB in football (Russell Wilson) gets promoted to LT and Okudah gets into the starting lineup as we move to play more Nickle to match up with Gotham.

Offensive Formations: We will focus this weak on spreading out Gotham using 3, 4, and 5 WR spread formations.  We want to provide nice passing/running/scrambling lanes for LJ. 

Tempo: Traditional tempo as we want to control/dictate the game and see everything and make presnap adjustments to get us into the best possible positions. 

Playcalling Distribution: we will focus more on passing on early downs as well as using RPO's and playaction on early downs.  Then as the game progresses we will shift to running a tradition play calling mix with more run plays on early downs.  This setup should open up the run more as the game progresses as the LB's and DB's hold wide to cover the WR's expecting pass. 

Run Scheme: when we do run, we will focus on power running with a large amount of traps, counter traps, pulling sweeps (RB and QB), and pulling counter sweeps (RB and QB).  These plays are going to look to exploit the aggressiveness of Gotham's d-line as they like to penetrate up field hopefully to get caught in the trap by our pulling o line.

Read option/Option: option, read option and triple option plays, will mostly be our check down plays to move out of poorly called pass plays or attack weak positioning from Gotham.  We will occastionaly overload one side and look to catch no one home on the backside.  This is where we will check into the options and run to the weakside hopefully for big plays.  

Passing: we will be throwing a lot more this game. Early downs will be passing downs for us.  We will look to utilize slants, posts, and crossing routes layered to exploit our advantage in the WR-DB matchups.  Our blocking is much improved over recent weeks but to help out our o-line even more the rb will be blocking long into the play before becoming a safety outlet for LJ (if at all). 

Playaction and RPO's: we will be using RPO's and playaction on early downs in place of runs.  This will hopefully hold the LB's and DB's wide later in the game as s mentioned before. 

Defense Base Formation: Nickle defense, switching to Dime on spread formations and 4-3 and 4-4 on short yardage plays. 

Playstyle: going with Nickle as our base D this week ss it will give us a better opportunity to force Carr to make the throws ee want him to make which he is terrible at, or use the checkdowns which we plan to cover tightly.  

Run defense.  We will be sticking to our 4-3 D and using our 4-4 run stopping D to crowd the box on clear run plays and big formations.  Runs blitzes will be far fewer this week as we like out D to win their 1 on 1 matchups to stuff the run.  Stunting with our big men up front will also help to get into the backfield and get tackles for loss

Passing Defense: at this time last season Derek Carr had a 34.5 passing grade on his second read which is the second-lowest grade in the NFL since the start of 2018, and his four turnover-worthy passes on such throws are the second most.  This season has seen more of the same as Carr has a huge tendency to throw to his check down man very often.  At times, that’s his go-to pass-catcher: whoever is closest to him. It’s not exactly what every coach wants out of his quarterback (and perhaps that’s in part why the Raiders’ Jon Gruden is so non-committal to Carr), but that’s simply the truth with Carr, whose yards per attempt average is 6.9 for his career.  With all that in mind we plan to play a lot of Cover 1 Man with Nasir Adderlay doubling Tyreke Hill.  This should force Carr to his 2nd, 3rd, or checkdown reads where he is either terrible at or keeps any passing plays limited to short yardage.  We will take away Hill and force Carr to make terrible decisions and plays, to his other options/checkdowns.  With this playstyle the man covering the checkdown backs will be playing much tighter then usual.  

Coverage assignments when in man:

Haden: Tyreke Hill
Lattimore: Jarvis Landry
Okudah: Jerry Jeudy
Ward: slot 2
Adderlay: slot 3

• Like 1

For those asking for a better more focused gameplan where we focus specific things, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with how well this new game plan works.  It takes advantage of the Gotham gameplan in a number of aspects and if executed should lead to victory.

We anxiously await feedback on the gameplan and how well you feel our team can execute it and of course if you feel we can come out victorious.

Happy reading my friends!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pickle Rick said:

For those asking for a better more focused gameplan where we focus specific things, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with how well this new game plan works.  It takes advantage of the Gotham gameplan in a number of aspects and if executed should lead to victory.

We anxiously await feedback on the gameplan and how well you feel our team can execute it and of course if you feel we can come out victorious.

Happy reading my friends!

Myles Jack is inactive and Timmy Jernigan is on the street.  Should be fun!

14 minutes ago, pheltzbahr said:

Myles Jack is inactive and Timmy Jernigan is on the street.  Should be fun!

Thankfully I have them as bench players and their backups are just as good if not better (Landry and Elliott/Hill).  Slide on up to the first seat on the bench fellas, strap your helmets down and get ready.  A battle is about to break out :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Thankfully I have them as bench players and their backups are just as good if not better (Landry and Elliott/Hill).  Slide on up to the first seat on the bench fellas, strap your helmets down and get ready.  A battle is about to break out :ph34r:

Good to know Elliot and Hill are as good as a RL FA.

I haven't decided on this game yet but there are 2 things about Antartica's gameplan i am not in love with.

Haden on Hill, do you realize how fast hill is and how fast Haden isn't? I love me some Joe Haden but that seems like a mismatch, I thought he would've been better matched with Landry (whom he would be more familiar with)

Brandon Shell at LT is a huge risk. He is a RT for Seattle who has given up some sacks this year. Putting him on the blindside...idk.. but I feel like (I don't know if this is true haven't researched it) Lamar runs more to his right than anything so It might not be as negative as it seems.

I like Antarctica's new look game plan and I think they should stick with it going forward. I like the idea to mix it up and throw the ball more to catch Gotham off guard, problem is Gotham's CB's match up very well and his defensive line against a patchwork offensive line is going to cause major issues for LJ being able to sit back and throw.