Niners trade Kwon Alexander to the Saints we get Kiko Alonso

49erurtaza

Just now, Forge said:

This was not free agency. 

Juice's contact was too small to be impactful, which is not typical. That being said, it was still a ridiculous overpayment that was unnecessary. Just because it wasn't big enough to be really impactful doesn't mean it was a good idea

Still resets the market. Would he be paid even more if he hit free agency? Yeah probably but still he got more than 5 mil a year more then the biggest contract at that point. So it still did reset the market in a pretty big way. 

Juice for sure was overpaid compared to other FB's but then there are no other FB's that do the things he does. No idea if we where bidding against ourselves there or if other teams where willing to pay that much for him. We probably paid too much for him but the impact he has on this team is way bigger than that of any other FB in the league and probably even bigger than most TE2's. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Still resets the market. Would he be paid even more if he hit free agency? Yeah probably but still he got more than 5 mil a year more then the biggest contract at that point. So it still did reset the market in a pretty big way. 

I didn't say you couldn't reset the market...I said you don't want to be the team that does that in free agency. 

Of course teams will have to reset the market every now and again if you draft someone special. Special players seldom hit  the market though, and there's a reason for it. If they are hitting free agency, there is likely a reason for it as well. 

24 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Juice for sure was overpaid compared to other FB's but then there are no other FB's that do the things he does. No idea if we where bidding against ourselves there or if other teams where willing to pay that much for him. We probably paid too much for him but the impact he has on this team is way bigger than that of any other FB in the league and probably even bigger than most TE2's. 

They all pretty much do what he does; they may not be utilized in that way all the time. You want to argue that he does it better, that's true, but he's not  unique at the position in my opinion....and he certainly doesn't play his position so much better than the rest of the NFL that he deserved  a contract so out of whack with the rest of the league. That's why unless he takes a substantial paycut next season, he shouldn't be back...I'm willing to gamble that we don't see a significant decrease in performance moving on to Hokit.  It was a preposterous contract...it just doesn't matter in this particular instance because it was still so little which is why everyone, including myself, was fine with it. But that fact doesn't change that the concept behind it is still bad. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I didn't say you couldn't reset the market...I said you don't want to be the team that does that in free agency. 

Of course teams will have to reset the market every now and again if you draft someone special. Special players seldom hit  the market though, and there's a reason for it. If they are hitting free agency, there is likely a reason for it as well. 

My bad. Lost that part somewhere in thise discussion but in general i would agree with that. Altough with the way the QB-market is going you really have to wonder when a team will stop resigning the next half decent QB to a bigger contract than the last half decent one. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

They all pretty much do what he does. You want to argue that he does it better, maybe that's the case, but he's not  unique at the position....and he certainly doesn't play his position so much better than the rest of the NFL that he deserved a contract so out of whack with the rest of the contract. It was a preposterous contract...it just doesn't matter in this particular instance because it was still so little. But that fact doesn't change that the concept behind it is still bad. 

Not many FB's line up as WR's and are the main target on passing plays. I agree he was paid more than he probably should based on other guys playing FB. And in the current situation we probably don't give him such a big deal. I have to say though in my head his deal was less idiotic as it really is. His cap number is 6,7 this year which is more than triple the next guy. In my mind he was around 4/5 but looking at it i have to say i agree.

On 11/3/2020 at 9:44 AM, 757-NINER said:

He was definitely overpaid but make no mistake about it, Kwon helped transform the defense last year into elite. His speed and coverage along with Warner were a vital part of making the Wide 9 work for us and he fit mold of the type of weakside LB needed in this scheme.

But hitting on Greenlaw made him expendable to say the least. Sure won't miss the missed tackles but I appreciate energy and athleticism he brought to the unit.

Yeah I'll miss his energy. But a lot of fans questioned signing him in the first place. Remember the general attitudes here?

Him getting the axe this early is another whiff on ShanaLynch regarding handing out free agent linebackers contracts they don't deserve (see Smith, Malcolm). Kwon was overpaid and an injury burden. 49ers didn't need him to get to the Super Bowl. Regardless if Greenlaw developing he shouldn't have been signed. At least not for that much. 

Best mascot we had since Boobie Dixon though. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe