The Vikings (Not So) Special Teams Thread

SteelKing728

56 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Guess I haven’t noticed. I don’t mind bringing him back. Hate having to change up special teams every year just didn’t think he’s anything special. Joseph has a low FG % but I don’t mind him. Perhaps it’s because he has come through in the clutch often, except AZ.

I think Joseph can continue to improve and become a solid kicker. He's hitting at 84% right now (21/25) on field goals and 91.7% on extra points (22/24). This is really only his 2nd season kicking in the NFL. I think that continuing to kick in pressure situations is what makes a kicker better. They get used to it, the nerves subside, they breathe easier, and can focus on just going through the motions. Part of that comes from feeling confident that your coach won't immediately cut you if you miss a couple of kicks. I think we'd do very well to resign Joseph to a 3 year deal to help continue to build that confidence. I have to say that I have felt fairly confident that he's going to make his kicks, which isn't something I haven't really been able to say since the early days of Longwell.

Berry has been decent. I can't think of any absolutley terrible punts he's had, but I can't think of many memorable ones. He's in the bottom half for average distance, but is a little more favorable on Net Average, which I think is the metric punters should be judged on. He's been a solid holder, and that goes back to helping a kicker stay consistent. I don't think he's a game changer, but few punters are. I think he's earned another season or two unless there is a clear upgrade available. 

Frankly, this has been the best I've felt about our special teams in some time. They aren't elite, but they've been good enough to save me money on antacids. 

• Like 1