The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

X_Factor_40

On 5/11/2024 at 9:09 PM, diehardlionfan said:

Tork has never come close to living up to the hype.

I mean, hitting 31 HRs last year while improving his avg was definitely starting to live up to the hype.  The hope was he keeps improving but that looks like its not happening. 

15 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

Really not a fan of any of the lottery systems.

I agree.  I do agree teams shouldn't actively tank but at the same time, if you want teams to be able to get out of the gutter, you can't keep hurting their draft status. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree.  I do agree teams shouldn't actively tank but at the same time, if you want teams to be able to get out of the gutter, you can't keep hurting their draft status. 

Right. 

On 5/13/2024 at 8:37 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

Just tick off the entire NBA. Nobody is worth #5 in this draft. Everyone wants Bronny (overrated) to land Lebron.

Detroit should give them all the what's up and take Bronny. lol.

Lebron in Detroit would be comedy. I hate Lebron but NBA needs a wake up call on this lottery crap 

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone does best ball fantasy leagues, its fun this year seeing three Detroit Lions go in the first round (ranked top 15 but the one I just did all were gone before the end of the first round.  ARSB went ahead of JJ at 5, Gibbs ahead of Bijan as the RB3 at 9 and Laporta as TE1 at 12.  Jamo, Monty and Goff all went top 100 with Goff being ranked and drafted ahead of Herbert and Lawrence.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Torkelson sent to minors. Man he is not doing good 

He has been one of the worst 1B in history using career OPS.  And that's with hitting 31 HRs last year. He also is worst in the league with hitting .106 against fastballs from right handed pitchers that are at least 93 mph.  The league average is .243.  How can you not hit fastballs at least? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Guess he will be stubborn when they send him out of Detroit too. 

Sad part is he has almost no value right now.  Sure someone will take a chance on him but Kelenic went for scraps this offseason.  We also don't have a ton of options at 1B waiting but maybe that will be where Justin henry-Malloy ends up since he is pretty rough on D elsewhere.  

I definitely think the Tigers need to look to trade some pitching.  We have some solid guys waiting in Toledo that we could move but if teams want a more proven arm we could move Maeda, Mize, or Manning and add some young bats.  Flaherty is another option to move but he has been elite and I doubt we get elite return from him given he is on a bounce back year and last year of his deal.  But either way our bats are so bad and the pitching is so good, we need to better balance the resources.  

Also we need to send Javy down too.  DFA him and just eat the contract at this point.  He isnt even great on D anymore so he just is adding to the L's out there.  

On 6/3/2024 at 11:03 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

Sad part is he has almost no value right now.  Sure someone will take a chance on him but Kelenic went for scraps this offseason.  We also don't have a ton of options at 1B waiting but maybe that will be where Justin henry-Malloy ends up since he is pretty rough on D elsewhere.  

I definitely think the Tigers need to look to trade some pitching.  We have some solid guys waiting in Toledo that we could move but if teams want a more proven arm we could move Maeda, Mize, or Manning and add some young bats.  Flaherty is another option to move but he has been elite and I doubt we get elite return from him given he is on a bounce back year and last year of his deal.  But either way our bats are so bad and the pitching is so good, we need to better balance the resources.  

Also we need to send Javy down too.  DFA him and just eat the contract at this point.  He isnt even great on D anymore so he just is adding to the L's out there.  

It’s an unfortunate situation. The Tigers have some good pieces but two players Tork and Baez were supposed to be very good but haven’t provided much. 

I understand what you suggest about balancing resources. It makes sense. Before I made any big decisions I would take a hard look at upcoming free agents and strengths of the draft.

The Tigers have struggled for years now

16 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

It’s an unfortunate situation. The Tigers have some good pieces but two players Tork and Baez were supposed to be very good but haven’t provided much. 

I understand what you suggest about balancing resources. It makes sense. Before I made any big decisions I would take a hard look at upcoming free agents and strengths of the draft.

The Tigers have struggled for years now

I never suggest counting on the draft in baseball, especially for helping the team as it is now.  Especially with Scott Harris and Jeff Greenberg's tendency to draft high school kids with upside opposed to college bats.  It just takes so long for them to get to the big leagues, even for some college guys that its hard to predict what you need.  Its more likely to draft a tradeable player than to draft someone who will help us out in the next 2 to 3 years. We actually do have a pretty solid farm system right now with some balance between young guys (Clark, McGonigle, and Briceno) and guys who are older and moving quickly or already at AA/AAA (Jung, Madden, Hamm, Jobe).  So we could go in any direction in the draft and sounds like college bats are the prize once again in this draft but would expect us to go under slot for a young bat to grab someone who is dropping later.  

But I do agree on looking at up coming free agents though.  But also we have to be able to get the free agents here. Next year Juan Soto is a free agent but there is zero chance we will be able to get him here even if we throw tons of money at him.  Someone like Pete Alonso or Alex Bregman could be targets though.  There aren't a lot of other high impact targets aside from that bat wise that I think would make a huge difference. Tyler O'Neil, Danny Jansen, Gleybar Torres, could be helpful but not organizational changers. 

My take on trading pitching is to get young bats back for young pitching.  Baltimore is in the same boat we are but with hitting prospects.  They have too many to bring them all up and they have an elite AAA lineup but their arms are weaker even though they have got some solid production so far this year.  But if we can flip some arms to get Norby, Mayo, Kjerstad, Cowser etc (no way they move Holliday), it would balance us out some. 

Or would be much nice to try and find a deal like the Cubs got for Michael Busch or the Brewers getting Joey Ortiz in the offseason with guys who are aging out of the minors but are blocked at the MLB level.  Or taking a chance on guys who struggled in brief call ups and giving them a chance to adjust like Matt Mervis.  Not sure that helps us a ton but would at least give us a chance on some upside for cheaper than free agency or trading for a top prospect.   

• Like 2