The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

X_Factor_40

14 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Pistons have good odds again in lottery. 

Despite that who would you all want Pistons to look at this draft ?

I am not excited about many in this draft so its not a great year to have a top pick.  I think Sarr and Risacher have the most upside and if Sarr can play the 4 he and Duren can play together.  Risacher has a ton of upside to be that stretch 4 as well but both are high risk.  Cody Williams seems to have some upside but not sure he should be top 3 in a draft and if he is, it means its a weak draft. 

If we drop in the draft like last year there isn't much else.  Buzelis has upside but is raw and unlikely to reach his potential.  There are a bunch of PG's or combo guards projected high but that is the last thing we need unless we trade Ivey.  I actually like a few guysa projected lower to fit better if we did have to pick like Filipowski, Kel'el Ware and Ron Holland.  

I would probably rather trade this pick if we can get someone who is a fringe star.  We have enough youth and need to start putting solid vets around them to help them grow.  

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I am not excited about many in this draft so its not a great year to have a top pick.  I think Sarr and Risacher have the most upside and if Sarr can play the 4 he and Duren can play together.  Risacher has a ton of upside to be that stretch 4 as well but both are high risk.  Cody Williams seems to have some upside but not sure he should be top 3 in a draft and if he is, it means its a weak draft. 

If we drop in the draft like last year there isn't much else.  Buzelis has upside but is raw and unlikely to reach his potential.  There are a bunch of PG's or combo guards projected high but that is the last thing we need unless we trade Ivey.  I actually like a few guysa projected lower to fit better if we did have to pick like Filipowski, Kel'el Ware and Ron Holland.  

I would probably rather trade this pick if we can get someone who is a fringe star.  We have enough youth and need to start putting solid vets around them to help them grow.  

Yea a trade makes sense. We see it a lot less in NBA but that's a valid point 

18 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

This whole Ohtani thing and his translator gambling and money wired from Ohtani to pay gambling stuff is odd

It does seem fishy.  It could be a cover for Ohtani's gambling addiction or he really could have been taken advantage of.  Will be interesting to see how it plays out after they investigate further. 

6 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

It does seem fishy.  It could be a cover for Ohtani's gambling addiction or he really could have been taken advantage of.  Will be interesting to see how it plays out after they investigate further. 

That type of money can't be transferred without knowledge of Ohtani. I've read several articles on it and someone else said same thing in MLB forum. The level of protection on transfers of that size are not small.

Plus watching highlights him and his translator were laughing and joking. And then all sudden he's fired for stealing? 

This has been going on for a bit now so the narrative is moving all over 

4 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

That type of money can't be transferred without knowledge of Ohtani. I've read several articles on it and someone else said same thing in MLB forum. The level of protection on transfers of that size are not small.

Plus watching highlights him and his translator were laughing and joking. And then all sudden he's fired for stealing? 

This has been going on for a bit now so the narrative is moving all over 

Yeah, not to mention the tax implications if he did cover the debt for his interpreter, and the wire fraud issues if it was him sending to an illegal gambling ring.  There are a lot of layers to it and a lot of potential legal issues other than just the gambling.  Its not a good look, and if he does have a gambling problem, it makes a lot of sense on why he would want to defer his income to make sure he had something in the future before he blows it all.  

53 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Yeah, not to mention the tax implications if he did cover the debt for his interpreter, and the wire fraud issues if it was him sending to an illegal gambling ring.  There are a lot of layers to it and a lot of potential legal issues other than just the gambling.  Its not a good look, and if he does have a gambling problem, it makes a lot of sense on why he would want to defer his income to make sure he had something in the future before he blows it all.  

The issue is people are like who cares. I'm like well Pete Rose for one. This isn't as small of a deal as some fans are alluding to 

4 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

The issue is people are like who cares. I'm like well Pete Rose for one. This isn't as small of a deal as some fans are alluding to 

The Pete Rose thing I don't think is in play unless Ohtani was betting on his own team or even just on baseball.  Pete Rose was betting on his team while he was the manager and had a major impact on the outcome.  Now I still think Rose should be in the HOF because that shouldn't detract from his skill and accomplishments, but its very different than Ohtani betting on football or cricket.  

And I get that a lot of people don't care, and I sort of get that because white collar crime is very different in most people's eyes even though it tends to impact them more.   I don't think its a major deal as far as people getting hurt, but it is a major deal in that he potentially broke laws that normal people go to jail for.  

On 3/22/2024 at 9:33 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

It seems bizarre to me. Why would his interpreter have access to his $$$$. 

I guess nothing should be surprising given the contract he agreed to. 

On 3/23/2024 at 11:58 PM, diehardlionfan said:

It seems bizarre to me. Why would his interpreter have access to his $$$$. 

I guess nothing should be surprising given the contract he agreed to. 

The whole thing is fishy and the stories keep changing. The story I most recently heard is his interpreter told him about the gambling debt and Ohtani agreed to pay it for him.  In doing so Ohtani wired the money directly because he didn't trust him to pay it if he gave him the money instead.  But that still would have some wire fraud and tax evasion issues included. 

But even if it truly is Ohtani gambling, I still don't think its on the level of Pete Rose and is more like when Jamo was busted betting from the parking lot on non-football stuff as long as he didn't bet on baseball.  But the difference is it is illegal in CA still so he has legal issues that could get him prison time even though its not likely.

Either way it is a crazy story and gambling could bring down another one of the all time greatest players if not the greatest player ever.  Its sad and unfortunate. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 5:18 PM, detfan782004 said:

Tigers now 2-0. Perfect season coming. lol.

In all seriousness this team looks like it can be best one in a while and at least fun to watch while they rebuild 

They’re coming along. It would be nice to see them compete again.

49 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

The Red Wings have a big game against Tampa today. They need the win in the chase for the last wild card birth.

Such a horrible slide they have been on lately.  Had some big games that they could have got some separation and are losing them all.  Really need to find that fire again to sneak into the playoffs.  

• Like 1