The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

X_Factor_40

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Lyon has been a nice bright spot at G but still would be nice to find an upgrade to him. The Wings have a couple prospects playing well and hopefully Cossa can get a shot late this year or next.  Looks like we could also still use some more defensemen to help the goalies out.  I don't watch often but follow whats happening and if they make the playoffs I will definitely jump on board again.  Hockey has always been my bandwagon sport.  

Unfortunately everyone needs defensemen, especially RD.

I was huge on Cossa entering the draft but haven’t followed his development. I th8nk he’s going to be a terrific player.

So I've always said when NCAA came out with football again I'd break down and buy a new system. I haven't owned one in over a decade. 

So as I go to invest in the next game console what would you all recommend?

Ive always been XBox but want to hear what others may be saying before I make my move 

I'm not sure it matters in this particular case but I've been reading that Xbox is phasing themselves out of the hardware market and is going to be focusing more on publishing, pretty much ceding the market to Sony and Nintendo. It's also very possible that NCAA25 releases on PC though there isn't any word yet... and PC ports of sports games tend to be pretty bad.

If I were buying a console it would be Playstation.

HOWEVER! NCAA 25 will release on the series X AND S for xbox.

Playstation 5- $400-500
Xbox X - $450-550
Xbox S - $200-300

(S doesn't have a disc drive or 4k)

Edited by nagahide13

1 minute ago, nagahide13 said:

I'm not sure it matters in this particular case but I've been reading that Xbox is phasing themselves out of the hardware market and is going to be focusing more on publishing, pretty much ceding the market to Sony and Nintendo. It's also very possible that NCAA25 releases on PC though there isn't any word yet... and PC ports of sports games tend to be pretty bad.

If I were buying a console it would be Playstation.

HOWEVER! NCAA 25 will release on the series X AND S for xbox.

Playstation 5- $400-500
Xbox X - $450-550
Xbox S - $200-300

Cost isn't a concern. Xbox phasing out is a concern so that's good to know.

• Like 1

I have always been a PS guy so I am biased.  I have felt that whatever you grew up on and preferred will always remain the preference.  I haven't heard of X-Box phasing out and if they did I am assuming it would be as far as not creating a next Gen console so I doubt that it would have much impact in the current ones.  Many games are cross platform compatible now anyways so you can still play with friends on other systems its just the chat formats sometimes suck in game.  

Given you haven't bought one in years, unless there is a game specific to a system that you want, just get what you are comfortable with.  I think the speeds, graphics, functionality etc are pretty similar these days. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I have always been a PS guy so I am biased.  I have felt that whatever you grew up on and preferred will always remain the preference.  I haven't heard of X-Box phasing out and if they did I am assuming it would be as far as not creating a next Gen console so I doubt that it would have much impact in the current ones.  Many games are cross platform compatible now anyways so you can still play with friends on other systems its just the chat formats sometimes suck in game.  

Given you haven't bought one in years, unless there is a game specific to a system that you want, just get what you are comfortable with.  I think the speeds, graphics, functionality etc are pretty similar these days. 

Good feedback. Yea I have old Xbox under bed but I don't allow game systems in house for kids. So ncaa 25 is changing some things.

Doing the job search thing. It stinks. I've been a level 1 manager for 10+ years and am finding that I don't have a ton of marketable skills on paper. I'm slowly working on a real estate license but the entire industry is such a scam... It's incredibly disheartening. I'm not sure if it's impossible to break into commercial real estate at 40 but it's what we're going for baby!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

Doing the job search thing. It stinks. I've been a level 1 manager for 10+ years and am finding that I don't have a ton of marketable skills on paper. I'm slowly working on a real estate license but the entire industry is such a scam... It's incredibly disheartening. I'm not sure if it's impossible to break into commercial real estate at 40 but it's what we're going for baby!

I've been dabbling in studying for real estate myself. When I retired from my first gig and started over I was nearing 40. It's manageable. I'm well into my second career now. I think you would be surprised what you can do to make yourself marketable on paper. 

Always willing to help review a resume if you ever want let me know. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

I lost the job I had in May and was just moving around various gigs until I started a new position in January. It sucks and I don’t recommend. I had to self evaluate myself and my abilities and it’s a lot. A lot of stress, adjustments and reflection. Kudos for going out and trying something new. 👏🏿

• Like 3

3 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

I've been dabbling in studying for real estate myself. When I retired from my first gig and started over I was nearing 40. It's manageable. I'm well into my second career now. I think you would be surprised what you can do to make yourself marketable on paper. 

Always willing to help review a resume if you ever want let me know. 

Thanks! After I work on it a little more I may take you up on that offer. Currently I'm kind of embarrassed about the state of it.

I'm getting a bit restless. I've gotten a few offers to manage restaurants but I'm trying to break out of the service industry. I don't really want a lateral or downward move. I have options if my reserves run too low, which is nice... But I'm pretty sick of killing myself to make someone else's dreams come true.

I kind of feel like I'm in high-school again. Everyone I'm interested in won't look my way and I'm not interested in the people that do. 😁 I gotta hit the gym, build up some certifications and see if that improves my options.

Edited by nagahide13
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

Thanks! After I work on it a little more I may take you up on that offer. Currently I'm kind of embarrassed about the state of it.

I'm getting a bit restless. I've gotten a few offers to manage restaurants but I'm trying to break out of the service industry. I don't really want a lateral or downward move. I have options if my reserves run too low, which is nice... But I'm pretty sick of killing myself to make someone else's dreams come true.

I kind of feel like I'm in high-school again. Everyone I'm interested in won't look my way and I'm not interested in the people that do. 😁 I gotta hit the gym, build up some certifications and see if that improves my options.

No worries. Nothing to be embarrassed about. My wife is hiring manager herself at her place so we tend to see a lot. I also have to review resumes for hiring of our staff.

i think the biggest mistake people make is putting soft skills etc near end of resume. Depending on length of resume people may never even make it to those skills.

So we flip the script a bit and out soft skills, awards, education etc at top and then slow the work experience later.

In our line of work our resumes can get long and sometimes hiring managers cut it off at 5 pages. 

More traditional resumes are obviously way shorter but same concept applies. I want to see what soft skills a person has and sifting through resumes I can glance at that up front quickly or sometimes the resumes lose interest if I'm digging to figure it out. 

Just like in interview the resume has seconds for that first impression 

• Like 1

I’m a hiring manager in tech and I can tell you finding people right now is rough. If I can find a person willing to learn, show up and integrates well with my team and adds skill diversification, they move to the top of my list. I respect and value the self learner who is chugging away on coursera, edx, etc. I hired my last analyst over a more “qualified” applicant and don’t regret it in the least. Her outlook adds a completely different perspective on things that has become rather valuable.

dont sell your current skill set short. Your experience and knowledge is valuable.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

If you've got some time on your hands and enjoy fantasy football, we've got a simulation league on the site that's a blast and in need of an owner. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

What is a simulation league