The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

X_Factor_40

5 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

What is a simulation league 

Oh boy.... be prepared to be amazed (it's actually quite a bit of fun)

So it's kind of like Madden without playing the games. 

You build up a roster, designate them in different positions, come up with team philosophies (defensive scheme, how much you want to run vs pass, etc.). Then @TheKillerNacho runs a simulation against the other team. They post it on YT and you will see whether your team won a close game or got blown out, etc. 

There's a bit of a learning curve but it was fun. You can choose your team name, logo, etc. 

• Like 1

I know I tend to be the optimist in general, but I am starting to like the way this Tigers team is coming together.  Our star young guys were starting to get it together last year in Green and Tork.  Green got hurt and may take some time to get his power back after tommy john surgery in his non-throwing arm but his plate recognition and patience at the plate were inspiring last year.  Tork finally tapped into his power and his average and OPB improved dramatically throughout the year last year.  If he can keep that average around .250 and OBP around .330 he will be Peter Alonso.  Colt Keith had a great year in AA and AAA last year and with his extension he likely will start in the majors and lock down 2B for a long time hopefully. Parker Meadows showed last year that he may actually be an MLB caliber CF even if he isn't an all star level player and he greatly helps the defense in the OF.  Cahna and Urshela are seasoned vets with solid OBP and gloves as short term solutions until Henry-Malloy, Jung, Bigbie, Lee and Max Anderson are ready which may be this year for Jung and JHM.  

The pitching staff is coming together nicely as well with Skubal touching 100 and looking like an ace.  Some have called him a top 3 candidate for the Cy Young this year.  Maeda and Flaherty are place holders for now.  The whole staff has been working on their velocity and movement and Manning, Olsen and Mize all look much better so far in ST.  Sawyer Gipsin-Long could push for a rotation spot as well or at worst be a solid long reliever

Then when looking at prospects, we have pitching galore on the rise.  Jobe has turned into the elite prospect he was supposed to be when we drafted him so high and is now above Mayer and Lawler in most listings.  Ty Madden is on the cusp of pushing for a rotation spot as is Wilmer Flores who is touching 99 regularly today.  Then we have lesser known pitchers rising on most prospect listings like Troy Melton, Brant Hurter, and Tyler Mattison with a few exciting arms we just drafted out of high school in Paul Wilson (Trevor Wilson's son),  Blake Dickerson and Jantk Diaz.  

As for other hitting prospects, Max Clark looks legit and better be with Langford and Walker Jenkins getting drafted right behind him.  Kevin McGonicle was another HS bat we took early in round 2 who made it to A ball last year and looked solid. Carson Rucker was a HS kid we took in the fourth and he looked great in rookie ball. There also has been a lot of chatter from prospect evaluators about Josue Briceno who we signed in the international signings last year.  He came to the rookie league last year and dominated and then moved up to A ball and continued to mash at 18 years old.  The talk is he could be this years Sam Basallo who moved into the top 20 prospects last year from being a relatively unknown.  Hao-Yu Lee is another prospect we got for Lorenzen last year who many think at least has utility upside.  

We still have some duds like Faedo, Dingler, Briske, Campos etc but honestly a lot of these guys that are causing excitement are Avila guys.  Now if only he knew how to trade and sign free agents we wouldn't be stuck with Javy for a few more years. But overall I am excited with the direction again and in a weak AL Central, if we get some decent play from guys like Keith and can keep guys like Manning and Mize healthy, we could have an exciting season.  But at a minimum should be carrying more excitement into next year as more young guys debut and develop.  

3 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Oh boy.... be prepared to be amazed (it's actually quite a bit of fun)

So it's kind of like Madden without playing the games. 

You build up a roster, designate them in different positions, come up with team philosophies (defensive scheme, how much you want to run vs pass, etc.). Then @TheKillerNacho runs a simulation against the other team. They post it on YT and you will see whether your team won a close game or got blown out, etc. 

There's a bit of a learning curve but it was fun. You can choose your team name, logo, etc. 

that's intense 

51 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Did not hear that... you just know there's going to be people moving their whole families around just to take advantage of this. 

It's kind of gross. 

I don't hate it. And I doubt there will be a ton of families moving as I am surer HS money isn't much but if someone has enough fame in their local area, get paid.  We let actors, tennis players, gymnasts, musicians, etc make money off of their talents at all ages.  If you have something that someone is willing to pay you for, you should be able IMO.  I am sure there will be some gross situations, but in general I think its good for kids.  

18 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't hate it. And I doubt there will be a ton of families moving as I am surer HS money isn't much but if someone has enough fame in their local area, get paid.  We let actors, tennis players, gymnasts, musicians, etc make money off of their talents at all ages.  If you have something that someone is willing to pay you for, you should be able IMO.  I am sure there will be some gross situations, but in general I think its good for kids.  

I've thought about that part... but I'm not sure I totally agree. There's already people who will move their families to place their kids to join certain programs (we've seen this in some of the documentary's like QB1) with the hopes that it'd be a pipeline into a D1 program. 

Tate Martell is from California and played at Bishop Gorman in Nevada. I know of a couple kids from my area that went to prep schools in the US in order to get chances at D1 schools (one went to Oklahoma and the other Penn State). When you throw in boosters and potential opportunities to move to D1 schools with bigger payoffs, this doesn't seem out of line. 

Your point on all of the other situations where younger people get paid is noted... hard to dispute. Sometimes it's nice to just have kids be kids. 

4 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

They shouldn't make more than the coaches trying on teach them character etc 

10 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

They shouldn't make more than the coaches trying on teach them character etc 

Most kids wont come close to that.  And the ones that are good enough, why not?  A 12 year old actor makes more than their acting coach.  A 15 year old pro tennis player makes more than their coach.  Parents and coaches can still teach character and raise kids right.  Parents need to be parents and not look at their kids as meal tickets but at the same time if a kid is poor and barely able to pay bills in high school but has the ability to bring in a few thousand dollars to help his family because of his talents, they should be able to.  

15 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I've thought about that part... but I'm not sure I totally agree. There's already people who will move their families to place their kids to join certain programs (we've seen this in some of the documentary's like QB1) with the hopes that it'd be a pipeline into a D1 program. 

Tate Martell is from California and played at Bishop Gorman in Nevada. I know of a couple kids from my area that went to prep schools in the US in order to get chances at D1 schools (one went to Oklahoma and the other Penn State). When you throw in boosters and potential opportunities to move to D1 schools with bigger payoffs, this doesn't seem out of line. 

Your point on all of the other situations where younger people get paid is noted... hard to dispute. Sometimes it's nice to just have kids be kids. 

So if kids are moving anyways, then its already an issue.  But again its relatively limited but also if there are kids who are good enough to go D1 and dont have the football resources available in their community, why not move?  If they enjoy something and have a passion for it, then find the best opportunity available.  Many families don't have the resources to do it and this likely isn't going to change that much since I don't see HS kids making millions.  But if they can get to a better situation, so be it. 

Yes it is nice to let kids be kids but also these kids are typically elite at what they do.  If they have a talent and are working hard in practice anyways, why not let them make money by doing an ad with the local car dealer?  The few kids that are the exception and will make more (top 100 recruits) are already living a weird life and not just a kid so again, why not let them help their family out.

It will be interesting to see where all this leads. Most other places in the world have academies and clubs that develop talent for whatever sport. We've done it through our local school systems. What I wonder is if there will be a saturation as the line between pro and amateur gets blurred even more. If college football becomes more like the NFL will people stop losing interest?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

So if kids are moving anyways, then its already an issue.  But again its relatively limited but also if there are kids who are good enough to go D1 and dont have the football resources available in their community, why not move?  If they enjoy something and have a passion for it, then find the best opportunity available.  Many families don't have the resources to do it and this likely isn't going to change that much since I don't see HS kids making millions.  But if they can get to a better situation, so be it. 

Yes it is nice to let kids be kids but also these kids are typically elite at what they do.  If they have a talent and are working hard in practice anyways, why not let them make money by doing an ad with the local car dealer?  The few kids that are the exception and will make more (top 100 recruits) are already living a weird life and not just a kid so again, why not let them help their family out.

It's just a double-edged sword, that's all. I agree with the free market and I get the whole idea of getting their true value.

We've also seen so many kids swallowed up by adults who don't have their best interests at heart. A great example is the damage we've seen this has caused in the acting field against child actors. 

• Like 2

I’m not really for this. At what point do we just get rid of child labor laws as well so a kid can get their true value? In the end, who does this profit more, the kids or schools/parents. I think when you look at it from that perspective, lines aren’t quite as blurred.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

It's just a double-edged sword, that's all. I agree with the free market and I get the whole idea of getting their true value.

We've also seen so many kids swallowed up by adults who don't have their best interests at heart. A great example is the damage we've seen this has caused in the acting field against child actors. 

Very true, and we have seen kids swallowed up in the athletics without being paid like Emoni Bates.  So it happens anyways, and having good character is on the parents.  If the parents suck, they will suck no matter if they are being paid or not.  For example, Reggie Bush lost his Heisman for being paid/getting his parents a house.  He came from nothing and his parents were struggling to survive and if he could have got them a house or helped pay the electric bill in high school, I am sure he would have.  Why make these kids live in poverty during their high school years if their talent is valuable?  Why force a kid to go to a school with a crap football program because he lives in the district when another district's coaches can help him get to college and better their life?  

I just don't like the mindset of make these kids stay poor or in a bad situation because I am uncomfortable with the norms that have been in place that also took advantage of the kids with no benefit to them.