Likely or unlikely Sam Darnold trade scenarios

Big T

When a trade is made, the contract the player is on goes with him including the 5th year option. Since the option may be too expensive for the team acquiring Sam, they may decline the option but negotiate an extension.

I am not sure if it has ever happened so there may be some weird CBA rule that only lawyers can decipher regarding this.

10 minutes ago, xrade said:

When a trade is made, the contract the player is on goes with him including the 5th year option. Since the option may be too expensive for the team acquiring Sam, they may decline the option but negotiate an extension.

I am not sure if it has ever happened so there may be some weird CBA rule that only lawyers can decipher regarding this.

Yeah.. many teams barked at 5th year option price for struggling player.  Successful players like Mack and Donald got new contract via trade. 

Just now, JetsandI said:

Yeah.. many teams barked at 5th year option price for struggling player.  Successful players like Mack and Donald got new contract via trade. 

So it has happened but with a new contract not an exercising of the 5th year option.

Who is Donald?  I am sure I will be a little embarrassed by the answer.

1 minute ago, xrade said:

So it has happened but with a new contract not an exercising of the 5th year option.

Who is Donald?  I am sure I will be a little embarrassed by the answer.

I am sorry.  Not Donald. I accidentally included him there.

So far, I haven't seen anyone with 5th year option exercised by new team.