St. Louis Stallions - Expansion Mock (Starting in 2021)

jrry32

Round 1 Pick #3 - Anthony Richardson QB Florida

Round 2 Pick #4 - Traded

Round 2 Pick #7 - B.J. Ojulari EDGE LSU

Round 3 Pick #3 - Clark Phillips III CB Utah

Round 4 Pick #4 - Adetomiwa Adebawore DL Northwestern

Round 5 Pick #3 - Traded

Round 5 Pick #6 - Chase Brown HB Illinois

Round 5 Pick #23 - Luke Wypler C Ohio State

Round 6 Pick #34 - Lonnie Phelps EDGE Kansas

Round 7 Pick #3 - Zack Kuntz TE Old Dominion

Round 7 Pick #6 - Mekhi Garner S LSU

With the draft over, I am signing the following UDFAs:

Kadeem Telfort OT UAB

Matt Landers WR Arkansas

Arquon Bush CB Cincinnati 

Tyrus Wheat EDGE Mississippi State

D.J. Dale DL Alabama

Brandon Joseph S Notre Dame

Travis Dye HB USC

Johnny Lumpkin TE Louisiana

Edited by jrry32

• 5 months later...

I unfortunately had some IRL stuff pop up and fell behind on this. Updating the depth chart and backfilling some roster moves:

Depth Chart

QB: Baker Mayfield - Anthony Richardson - Zach Wilson
HB: Breece Hall - Kenny Gainwell - Chase Brown
XWR: Amari Cooper - K.J. Hamler
ZWR: Elijah Moore - Ihmir Smith-Marsette
SLWR: Amon-Ra St. Brown - Jamison Crowder
TE: Cade Otton - Tommy Tremble - Zack Kuntz
LT: Orlando Brown Jr. - Zach Tom - Kadeem Telfort
LG: Zach Tom - Daniel Brunskill - Ike Boettger
C : Quinn Meinerz - Luke Wypler
RG: Shaq Mason - Daniel Brunskill - Ike Boettger
RT: Rob Havenstein - Zach Tom - Kadeem Telfort

DE: Sebastian Joseph-Day - Adetomiwa Adebawore - Christian Covington
NT: Greg Gaines - Nathan Shepherd
DE: Travis Jones - Matthew Butler - Christian Covington
OLB: B.J. Ojulari Trevis Gipson - Ronnie Perkins
ILB: Cody Barton - Jack Sanborn - Jabril Cox - Brandon Smith
ILB: Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah - Jack Sanborn - Jabril Cox
OLB: Aidan Hutchinson - Trevis Gipson - Lonnie Phelps 
CB: Kendall Fuller - Darius Rush
CB: Tariq Woolen - Sidney Jones
CB: Clark Phillips III
FS: Elijah Molden - Mekhi Garner
SS: John Johnson III - Shaun Wade

K: Evan McPherson
P: Ryan Wright
LS: Cal Adomitis
KR: Ihmir Smith-Marsette
PR: Ihmir Smith-Marsette

IR: OL Corey Linsley - CB Marcus Jones -  ILB Nakobe Dean

Practice Squad

Bam Knight HB

Matt Landers WR

Simi Fehoko WR

Josiah Scott CB

Amani Oruwariye CB

Tyrus Wheat EDGE

Brandon Joseph S

Janarius Robinson EDGE

Bravvion Roy DL

Jeff Gunter DL

Chasen Hines OL

Ty Nsekhe OL

Lucas Krull TE

Curtis Robinson ILB

Cade York K

2024 Picks

Round 1

Round 2 

Round 3

Round 4

Round 5 

Round 6

Round 7

2025 Picks

Round 1

Round 2 

Round 3

Round 4

Round 5 

Round 6

Round 7

Edited by jrry32

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

As we hit the offseason, my first order of business is to fire HC Brandon Staley. I had high hopes for Staley when I made him the inaugural HC for the franchise. I thought he could be a defensive Sean McVay. Unfortunately, it just never came together for him. I'll be going through a coaching search. Right now, my list is (in no order):

1. Raheem Morris DC LA Rams

2. Ben Johnson OC Detroit Lions

3. Lou Anarumo DC Cincy Bengals

4. Brian Flores DC Minnesota Vikings

5. Brian Johnson OC Philly Eagles

6. Dan Quinn DC Dallas Cowboys

7. Mike Macdonald DC Baltimore Ravens

8. Todd Monken OC Baltimore Ravens

9. Jim Harbaugh HC Michigan Wolverines

Evaluating the Team

Offense - The good news here is that our offense has blossomed. We have one of the best WRs in the NFL in Amon-Ra St. Brown (top 3 WR season this year), another very good WR who complements him in Amari Cooper (finished #10 in receiving yards), and a productive #3 WR in Elijah Moore, despite his injury issues. At HB, we have one of the NFL's best young all-around backs in Breece Hall and a good #2 HB in Kenny Gainwell. Our TE, Cade Otton, is a solid player. And our OL is one of the best units in the NFL. Zach Tom emerged this year as a great young OL. Havenstein had another strong year. Quinn Meinerz put up a great season in Denver. Brunskill and Mason were solid starters. And Orlando Brown, while not having his best year, is an above average LT. Add in Baker Mayfield coming out of nowhere with a good year and Anthony Richardson showing flashes, and we have one of the best offensive units in the NFL. My plan would have been for Baker to start and Richardson to spend the year as a backup.

Defense - This is where we would have had problems. On the plus side, Aidan Hutchinson continued his ascent with a great second season, posting 11.5 sacks and strong all around numbers. JOK continued to be one of the best ILBs in the NFL. Travis Jones developed into a quality starter on the DL. And Clark Phillips provided strong play for a rookie when he stepped in due to injuries. Tariq Woolen had an up and down season, but he's still a talented starting CB. B.J. Ojulari showed flashes as a rookie, but I was hoping for a bit more. Our depth at ILB helped when Cody Barton and Nakobe Dean suffered injuries, as Jack Sanborn is a very solid backup ILB. Unfortunately, we didn't get a ton out of the DL, our #2 EDGE rusher was hit and miss, and JJIII and Kendall Fuller have both fallen off. Despite having some promising players, I'd anticipate this defense being one of the worst in the NFL, mostly because of Staley's issues as a HC. I'm also really kicking myself for letting Geno Stone walk this past offseason. He had a strong year for the Ravens at a position where I could have sorely used him (safety).

Special Teams - Ryan Wright and Evan McPherson both had solid years. McPherson was perfect inside 50 on the season. And Wright averaged over 40 yards net punting. Neither were the best at their positions, but they provided quality play. I expect my special teams unit was average to below average, mostly because I'm still trying to build up my depth.

Overall: With better coaching, I think this is a playoff team. We're more talented than some of the squads that made the playoffs, but I think we lose multiple games due to Staley's inept job as a HC. As I see it, we would have had one of the best offenses in the NFL (with some inconsistencies due to Baker) and one of the worst defenses in the NFL.

Verdict: 8-9 season

Looking Forward: If I can nail the HC hire, there are a lot of reasons to be optimistic. We have an extraordinarily talented offense and some good players at important spots on defense. The key is Anthony Richardson staying healthy and developing. But I'll have to hedge my bets on Richardson suffering an injury, as durability has been a persistent problem for him.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

Looking at my HC list, here are my general thoughts on the candidates:

1. Raheem Morris DC LA Rams - Morris isn't an X's and O's genius. He's respectable in the area, though. I see him as a guy who potentially could be a Mike Tomlin type. He's great at managing personalities, he knows the game well, and he's learned a lot since his early-career failure in Tampa Bay. IMO, that Tampa Bay situation was rough. Morris was a young HC who had to take over a roster Gruden blew up and then was handed a QB in Josh Freeman who didn't have the work ethic or leadership skills. I'm really favoring Morris, in part because Sean McVay thinks the world of him, and I'm a big believer in McVay's eye for talent (Brandon Staley notwithstanding).

2. Ben Johnson OC Detroit Lions - The next wunderkind OC who is destined to be a HC. I'm intrigued because his style feels like a great fit for my team. But I'm a little nervous about hiring another young guy after Staley burned me. I'm also not sure Johnson would want to come here with the QB uncertainty. He may have better options.

3. Lou Anarumo DC Cincy Bengals - Anarumo's unit wasn't good this year, but I have a lot of respect for the work he did in 2021 and 2022. He's on the low end of the list for me.

4. Brian Flores DC Minnesota Vikings - While I have a lot of respect for Flores and think he could be a good HC on a team that has a proven vet at QB, I'm leery about picking a HC who had such bad blood with his young QB in his last HC spot (Tua). Anthony Richardson is a good kid, but he's not the sort who would deal well with hard coaching. I think I'm out on Flores.

5. Brian Johnson OC Philly Eagles - The wheels coming off for the Eagles hurts Johnson. I also have seen the criticisms about his play calling this year. There are a few reasons why I'm tempted. First, Johnson is a great QB developer. Second, he has worked well with mobile QBs. Third, he has a relationship with Anthony Richardson (he recruited him to Florida and coached him for a year at UF). And fourth, I have the utmost respect for Brian Johnson based on what I know from his time at UF. He's one of my top candidates.

6. Dan Quinn DC Dallas Cowboys - Dan Quinn is a great defensive mind and had some success as HC. That said, the end of his tenure in Atlanta was really bad. I'm always reticent about retreads. Quinn has earned a second chance, but I'm not sure it's my team. I think he's too old school.

7. Mike Macdonald DC Baltimore Ravens - Young dude who has killed it with the Ravens. My concerns are twofold: (1) is he another Staley, and (2) his potential lack of network because he has spent his entire NFL career in Baltimore.

8. Todd Monken OC Baltimore Ravens - Monken is one of the best schemers and play callers around. He's great at bringing out the best in mobile QBs. And he has HC experience at the college level. I'm unsure of him because of his age (57) and his decision to walk away from his college HC job. Is this a guy who prefers being a coordinator?

9. Jim Harbaugh HC Michigan Wolverines - Despite his age (60), Harbaugh has to be my #1 option. He won in the NFL. He won in college. He saved Alex Smith's career and launched Colin Kaepernick's career. And he has proven in recent years that he can adapt with the times and will make the sacrifices needed to win. He's a weird dude and can be grating, but there's no denying that he's a man who can put aside his ego to win. That all said, I imagine if Harbaugh comes to the NFL, he'll choose a situation that is better than mine (established QB or his choice of QB). Still, he's at the top of my list if he's available.

Based on this, I'd say my short list is:

1. Jim Harbaugh

2. Raheem Morris

3. Ben Johnson

4. Brian Johnson

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Techbert said:

JMHO,

I think Todd wanted to be Big Time more than Head Guy. No one talks about him much, but he would be on my short list.

With that said, good luck signing Jim, cus he has essentially zero downside.

That's fair on Monken. I don't see Harbaugh selecting my team, but we'll see what decision he makes IRL. I'll take my cue from that.