2021 Free Agent Thread

NcFinest9erFan

2 hours ago, GW21 said:

I'm not saying he'll be cheap, but cheaper than some of the other alternatives out there like Ngakoue. I expect a lot of guys to sign one year deals this offseason with hopes of cashing in during the next couple of offseasons. I think we'd be a pretty desirable location for pass rushers trying to increase their value with Bosa playing on the other side. Obviously we aren't going to be big players in FA if we can resign Trent Williams, but as you have often alluded to many times, that is far from a certainty. I still want to draft an edge high in this draft, but as our history has shown, you can never have too many pass rushers. 

I expect guys to sign those type of deals, I don't expect Lawson to be that type. I expect a lot of the mid tier free agents vets to be the ones who get squeezed. I think Lawson is going to be highly, highly sought after. I'd expect a guy like Smoot or Okwara to get squeezed maybe. But thats just an evaluation on the player and how I think they'll do in this upcoming market. 

The secondary problem is that one year deals, unless they are super cheap, are not our friend this year. There will definitely be guys that sign one year deals, but think about a cheap, 1 year 5 million dollar deal. We have no way to hide that cap on a one year deal. So it's just 5 million. Right now that would be almost 40% of our available cap. Even using my structure without Jimmy it'd be about one quarter of the cap after accounting for rookies. That's why I so badly just want this team to lean into the transition year. Roll with the rookie or take a chance on Darnold (okay, I really don't like Darnold, but I get it) or Minshew and use that money from Jimmy to balance the team around the QB spot. Going to be super tricky. 

Big thanks to @Shanedorf for this golden nugget (49ers puns ftw)

Packers backup QB Tim Boyle is a RFA. He seems to be a guy that is revered by the local media up there.

The packers may not even tender him considering resources spent on Jordan Love. Even if they do, it would certainly be an original round tender which means we can sign him and they would have to match. So we could offer him a few extra bucks and either the packers have less cap space to work with or we get ourselves a solid backup QB for a decent enough price.

We need to completely overhaul the QB room. This guy knows the system to some degree and has had a decent enough showing in the preseason. 

"Tim Freakin' Boyle" (Tim Boyle 2018-2019 Highlights) - YouTube 

There is something I dont love about his release but its hard to put my finger on. He does look like he knows how to throw touch passes. I like his height and he looks like he can move decently well within the pocket. This is preseason from 2 and 3 years ago lol and its a highlight tape, so dont read too much into it, but still... he is probably an upgrade for our QB3 position at an absolute minimum 

Kyle winning games with a QB that MLF cast aside would be the ultimate "big league" move. 

On 3/5/2021 at 11:29 PM, N4L said:

Packers backup QB Tim Boyle is a RFA. He seems to be a guy that is revered by the local media up there.

the beat writers had a lot of fun with Boyle in the offseason, calling him the "Tim Boyle Laser Show" because he was throwing ropes.
And here's a comment from an NFC North scout via The Athletic:

"Opponents haven’t seen much of Boyle since his 109 snaps in the 2019 exhibition season, but they seem to like him nonetheless. For two years, personnel from the NFC North have been singing his praises despite the small sample size.

“Maybe I’m messed up, but I’m a fan of his,” said one scout. “I like the way he throws the ball. I like his decision-making. Obviously I haven’t seen much in the regular season, but I think the guy has some upside. Everything I’ve seen in the preseason I really like. I think they’re seeing something in the guy, too. I think they feel comfortable with him in the offense if he had to go in there. He’s a really, really interesting guy.”

• Like 2