Your all-time top 10 WRs?

notthatbluestuff

On 12/23/2020 at 2:13 AM, Trojan said:

1. Jerry Rice - undisputed GOAT
2. Randy Moss - Greatest specimen and one of the next greatest careers (minus his time in Oakland).
3. Lance Alworth - Opened the game up and truly revolutionized the position. Was decades ahead of his time.
4. Larry Fitzgerald - Consistency and the model of what every franchise wants. The start of the what-if dream tier where they were phenomenal, but if only ___ they could have been the GOAT. Larry's is a team with a QB.
5. Terrell Owens - A model for physical WR and the diva personality. Brandon Marshall challenged TO at being the best version of TO.

6 through 10 would pick from:
Don Hudson - The original GOAT, unlike an Alworth type Hudson was so long ago I feel like the era is a negative as he was even pre-integration and it was truly a running sport, so his dominance really has no rival. He's like the equivalent of a late 1800s pitcher that was hyper dominant. He is a GOAT, but where in a list with more modern guys, who knows where to rank him.

Calvin Johnson - Barry Sanders like with the roughly 10 year ultra-dominant career with low team success and retiring in their prime -- although Megatron had some back issues if I remember right. His numbers the year with Orlovsky and the winless season are insane. Then he threatened 2000 yards. One of the great "What if ___" careers, that is still HOF-worthy as is, but could have threatened GOAT or top 3.

Raymond Berry - Johnny Unitas still makes top 10 QB lists, and Berry was the WR. His technical dominance in route running, steps and cuts brought about a science of the position that still separates the pure athletes from the truly successful wide receivers.

Steve Largent - Consistent without talent surrounding him. Being the face of a franchise as a WR is uncommon and the only other one that comes to mind as similar situation is Andre Johnson.

Andre Johnson - Speaking of him, Andre Johnson was extremely consistent. I still feel like Julio compares to Andre and it's weird that Andre Johnson has been retired for so long at this point. It's amazing to think back to those teams and what talent surrounded him and how Andre would consistently keep Texans in games. A what if contender for a QB and/or being draft by anything other than an expansion team.

Sterling Sharpe - Jerry Rice defines the 90s receivers and the 90s were the receivers decade, but if Sharpe's neck wasn't injured the what if scenario is insane to think of. That short stretch he had with Farve was A+. Contextually it was during the 49ers/Cowboys insane years and Sharpe was  3,854 yards 54 TD, while Jerry Rice was 4,203 yards and 38 TD, and Michael Irvin was 3,967 and 20 TDs. Only thing Sharpe is missing is the end of his career with the neck ending it. The Packers won the SB in 1996 and made it back in 1998, so a ring or two could easily be imaginable as well (and Sharpe balled out in the two playoff games he did get to play in). What you don't have to imagine was his excellence in the 7 years he played though.

Antonio Brown - Outside of the meltdown, Brown was a contender to launch into the top 5 all time. I think he is contention for a top 10 list as it stands though, but technically it isn't over so he may rise?

Marvin Harrison - Similar to Antonio Brown, Largent and Berry I guess? A true route runner and in the race for placement in the top 10 and had the benefit of Peyton Manning.

Torry Holt - Greatest Show on Turf was truly special and Holt was one of the probably top 5 WRs of the early 2000s, but it's a loaded era.

Isaac Bruce - The other WR in the GSoT, Was 1B to Holt's 1A, but gets a longevity boost.

Jimmy Smith - Given he played on the Jaguars I think he is kinda forgotten, but Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell was a hell of an entertaining duo to watch for a number of years. Jimmy Smith was the man on those teams and really has most of the career to argue fringe top 10 placement outside of team success and post-football life.

Steve Smith - I think Steve Smith's stature is one of the defining attributes of his career. The era of looking for that monster Moss-build guy, and little bully Smith rocks CBs physically, burns them with speed and has that I'm the best attitude that wasn't the diva-type so much just an ultra confidence. He didn't have that star QB either until a very young Cam Newton very late in his career, and maybe you could stretch and say Flacco after that in his twilight days. Smith carried that Panthers passing game though and did it for a long time.

Julio Jones - It's not over, but as is I think I would land him as between Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson, but I don't know if that's top 10.

Michael Irvin - The physical 90s WR, but I think he's more top 20 than top 10. Team success helps, but I don't think he was the best WR in any year he played (or second best if you want to argue Jerry is always just #1).

Art Monk - The Skin's great WR is worthy of listing for possible top 10 inclusion with the team success and numbers to back it as well. I think he was on all the Skins SB teams if I remember right, but may have just been 2? I am not super familiar with his career, but I know it belongs in the talk.

The Raiders - Tim Brown, Fred Biletnikoff, Cliff Branch - I think they are all closer to the 10-20 range, but I'd put them in contention (and in the order I listed them). Might be because I'm a Raider fan though, so I'll just leave there names at the bottom.

Best list so far, even though you are a Raider fan.  

• Like 1

1) Jerry Rice

2) Randy Moss

3) Don Hutson

4) TO

5) Larry Fitzgerald

6) Lance Alworth

7) Marvin Harrison

8 ) Calvin Johnson

9) Raymond Berry

10) There's so many guys I want to put here Carter, Holt, Largent, Brown, Smith, etc., but I think I gotta go Antonio Brown here

I'd love to play, but I can't with a straight face put; 3. Lance alworth, or 4. Steve Largent when I haven't seen a single snap of their play outside grainy highlights.

From what I've seen only; 

Rice, Moss, Owens, Johnson, Fitzgerald, Holt, Jones, Brown, Smith, Harrison