Your all-time top 10 WRs?

notthatbluestuff

According to Randy Moss, he's #1, with TO 2nd and Jerry Rice 3rd or 4th. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/18/randy-moss-im-the-best-receiver-ever-t-o-is-second-jerry-rice-third-or-fourth/

“I’ll put myself first, I’ll put T.O. second,” Moss said. “I would put Jerry probably third or fourth. I’m talking about dominating the game and changing the game of football. I don’t live on statistics because if you live on statistics and live on championships that’s all political. You’ve seen guys released or cut from a team just by a couple words in the media. You’ve seen guys given contracts or you’ve seen guys not given contracts just because of the color of their skin. You’ve got to throw politics out of the game of football, and look at the impact of what each individual was able to make in the game of football.”

Anyone want to provide their own top 5 or 10 all time WRs? Where does Moss rank for you?

22 hours ago, Jeezla said:

I never watched Don Hutson.

Hutson was surpassing entire TEAMS passing #s in the day; he held the record for most NFL records; he doubled and tripled up on the #2 guys in rec/yds/tds for like a 5 or 6 yr stretch. He was possibly the most DOMINANT player in NFL history. 

That said, he also played in an era where the idea of "instead of just running around to get open, I'm going to go 10 yds, fake inside, and then cut outside, throw it to me when I make the cut" was a mindblowing innovation. He had good size (6'1", 185 lbs), great hands, and was sprinter-fast, so I'm sure he'd at worst manage a Wes Welker career in the modern age. 

But I don't see any way you don't put Rice at WR1. Even with the caveat that he generally had HoF/MVP level QBs, he produced as one of the best 2-3 WRs in the league for a decade, and a top 10-level for about another decade. Owens and Moss might've had more physical ability, but Moss in particular is a player who didn't seem to max that out (Owens wrung every drop of talent out of himself, but his issues were more poor-teammate type stuff). 

Off the top of my head: 

1) Rice

2) Fitzgerald

3) Owens

4) Moss

5) Alworth

6) Hutson

7) Calvin Johnson

8 ) Steve Largent

9 ) Sterling Sharpe

10) Andre Johnson

Under consideration: Isaac Bruce, Henry Ellard, Gary Clark, Anquan Boldin, Julio Jones, Reggie Wayne

Edited by Mr Bad Example

1. Jerry Rice - undisputed GOAT
2. Randy Moss - Greatest specimen and one of the next greatest careers (minus his time in Oakland).
3. Lance Alworth - Opened the game up and truly revolutionized the position. Was decades ahead of his time.
4. Larry Fitzgerald - Consistency and the model of what every franchise wants. The start of the what-if dream tier where they were phenomenal, but if only ___ they could have been the GOAT. Larry's is a team with a QB.
5. Terrell Owens - A model for physical WR and the diva personality. Brandon Marshall challenged TO at being the best version of TO.

6 through 10 would pick from:
Don Hudson - The original GOAT, unlike an Alworth type Hudson was so long ago I feel like the era is a negative as he was even pre-integration and it was truly a running sport, so his dominance really has no rival. He's like the equivalent of a late 1800s pitcher that was hyper dominant. He is a GOAT, but where in a list with more modern guys, who knows where to rank him.

Calvin Johnson - Barry Sanders like with the roughly 10 year ultra-dominant career with low team success and retiring in their prime -- although Megatron had some back issues if I remember right. His numbers the year with Orlovsky and the winless season are insane. Then he threatened 2000 yards. One of the great "What if ___" careers, that is still HOF-worthy as is, but could have threatened GOAT or top 3.

Raymond Berry - Johnny Unitas still makes top 10 QB lists, and Berry was the WR. His technical dominance in route running, steps and cuts brought about a science of the position that still separates the pure athletes from the truly successful wide receivers.

Steve Largent - Consistent without talent surrounding him. Being the face of a franchise as a WR is uncommon and the only other one that comes to mind as similar situation is Andre Johnson.

Andre Johnson - Speaking of him, Andre Johnson was extremely consistent. I still feel like Julio compares to Andre and it's weird that Andre Johnson has been retired for so long at this point. It's amazing to think back to those teams and what talent surrounded him and how Andre would consistently keep Texans in games. A what if contender for a QB and/or being draft by anything other than an expansion team.

Sterling Sharpe - Jerry Rice defines the 90s receivers and the 90s were the receivers decade, but if Sharpe's neck wasn't injured the what if scenario is insane to think of. That short stretch he had with Farve was A+. Contextually it was during the 49ers/Cowboys insane years and Sharpe was  3,854 yards 54 TD, while Jerry Rice was 4,203 yards and 38 TD, and Michael Irvin was 3,967 and 20 TDs. Only thing Sharpe is missing is the end of his career with the neck ending it. The Packers won the SB in 1996 and made it back in 1998, so a ring or two could easily be imaginable as well (and Sharpe balled out in the two playoff games he did get to play in). What you don't have to imagine was his excellence in the 7 years he played though.

Antonio Brown - Outside of the meltdown, Brown was a contender to launch into the top 5 all time. I think he is contention for a top 10 list as it stands though, but technically it isn't over so he may rise?

Marvin Harrison - Similar to Antonio Brown, Largent and Berry I guess? A true route runner and in the race for placement in the top 10 and had the benefit of Peyton Manning.

Torry Holt - Greatest Show on Turf was truly special and Holt was one of the probably top 5 WRs of the early 2000s, but it's a loaded era.

Isaac Bruce - The other WR in the GSoT, Was 1B to Holt's 1A, but gets a longevity boost.

Jimmy Smith - Given he played on the Jaguars I think he is kinda forgotten, but Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell was a hell of an entertaining duo to watch for a number of years. Jimmy Smith was the man on those teams and really has most of the career to argue fringe top 10 placement outside of team success and post-football life.

Steve Smith - I think Steve Smith's stature is one of the defining attributes of his career. The era of looking for that monster Moss-build guy, and little bully Smith rocks CBs physically, burns them with speed and has that I'm the best attitude that wasn't the diva-type so much just an ultra confidence. He didn't have that star QB either until a very young Cam Newton very late in his career, and maybe you could stretch and say Flacco after that in his twilight days. Smith carried that Panthers passing game though and did it for a long time.

Julio Jones - It's not over, but as is I think I would land him as between Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson, but I don't know if that's top 10.

Michael Irvin - The physical 90s WR, but I think he's more top 20 than top 10. Team success helps, but I don't think he was the best WR in any year he played (or second best if you want to argue Jerry is always just #1).

Art Monk - The Skin's great WR is worthy of listing for possible top 10 inclusion with the team success and numbers to back it as well. I think he was on all the Skins SB teams if I remember right, but may have just been 2? I am not super familiar with his career, but I know it belongs in the talk.

The Raiders - Tim Brown, Fred Biletnikoff, Cliff Branch - I think they are all closer to the 10-20 range, but I'd put them in contention (and in the order I listed them). Might be because I'm a Raider fan though, so I'll just leave there names at the bottom.

• Like 6

Again.

1) Jerry Rice - The GPoAT.

2) Moss - Had the highest-ceiling and best chance, skills-wise, to surpass Rice as the best WR of all-time but, imo, he never reached his full potential which is saying alot after what he accomplished despite this.

3) Larry Fitzgerald - The definition of consistency and I want his dietitian, whoever he or she is. The man has over 350 receptions and 21 TD's alone SINCE he "lost a step"! Think about that.

4)  TO - One of the greatest to ever do it, but much like Moss he let himself get in his own way alot. 

5) Calvin Johnson - A freak of nature that had the second highest peak of any WR not named Moss. It's just too bad that he quit as soon as he did. Not that I'm mad at him for that.

6) Cris carter 
7) Tim Borwn
8) Steve Smith
9) Marvin Harrison
10) Andre Johnson

3 hours ago, Trojan said:

1. Jerry Rice - undisputed GOAT
2. Randy Moss - Greatest specimen and one of the next greatest careers (minus his time in Oakland).
3. Lance Alworth - Opened the game up and truly revolutionized the position. Was decades ahead of his time.
4. Larry Fitzgerald - Consistency and the model of what every franchise wants. The start of the what-if dream tier where they were phenomenal, but if only ___ they could have been the GOAT. Larry's is a team with a QB.
5. Terrell Owens - A model for physical WR and the diva personality. Brandon Marshall challenged TO at being the best version of TO.

6 through 10 would pick from:
Don Hudson - The original GOAT, unlike an Alworth type Hudson was so long ago I feel like the era is a negative as he was even pre-integration and it was truly a running sport, so his dominance really has no rival. He's like the equivalent of a late 1800s pitcher that was hyper dominant. He is a GOAT, but where in a list with more modern guys, who knows where to rank him.

Calvin Johnson - Barry Sanders like with the roughly 10 year ultra-dominant career with low team success and retiring in their prime -- although Megatron had some back issues if I remember right. His numbers the year with Orlovsky and the winless season are insane. Then he threatened 2000 yards. One of the great "What if ___" careers, that is still HOF-worthy as is, but could have threatened GOAT or top 3.

Raymond Berry - Johnny Unitas still makes top 10 QB lists, and Berry was the WR. His technical dominance in route running, steps and cuts brought about a science of the position that still separates the pure athletes from the truly successful wide receivers.

Steve Largent - Consistent without talent surrounding him. Being the face of a franchise as a WR is uncommon and the only other one that comes to mind as similar situation is Andre Johnson.

Andre Johnson - Speaking of him, Andre Johnson was extremely consistent. I still feel like Julio compares to Andre and it's weird that Andre Johnson has been retired for so long at this point. It's amazing to think back to those teams and what talent surrounded him and how Andre would consistently keep Texans in games. A what if contender for a QB and/or being draft by anything other than an expansion team.

Sterling Sharpe - Jerry Rice defines the 90s receivers and the 90s were the receivers decade, but if Sharpe's neck wasn't injured the what if scenario is insane to think of. That short stretch he had with Farve was A+. Contextually it was during the 49ers/Cowboys insane years and Sharpe was  3,854 yards 54 TD, while Jerry Rice was 4,203 yards and 38 TD, and Michael Irvin was 3,967 and 20 TDs. Only thing Sharpe is missing is the end of his career with the neck ending it. The Packers won the SB in 1996 and made it back in 1998, so a ring or two could easily be imaginable as well (and Sharpe balled out in the two playoff games he did get to play in). What you don't have to imagine was his excellence in the 7 years he played though.

Antonio Brown - Outside of the meltdown, Brown was a contender to launch into the top 5 all time. I think he is contention for a top 10 list as it stands though, but technically it isn't over so he may rise?

Marvin Harrison - Similar to Antonio Brown, Largent and Berry I guess? A true route runner and in the race for placement in the top 10 and had the benefit of Peyton Manning.

Torry Holt - Greatest Show on Turf was truly special and Holt was one of the probably top 5 WRs of the early 2000s, but it's a loaded era.

Isaac Bruce - The other WR in the GSoT, Was 1B to Holt's 1A, but gets a longevity boost.

Jimmy Smith - Given he played on the Jaguars I think he is kinda forgotten, but Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell was a hell of an entertaining duo to watch for a number of years. Jimmy Smith was the man on those teams and really has most of the career to argue fringe top 10 placement outside of team success and post-football life.

Steve Smith - I think Steve Smith's stature is one of the defining attributes of his career. The era of looking for that monster Moss-build guy, and little bully Smith rocks CBs physically, burns them with speed and has that I'm the best attitude that wasn't the diva-type so much just an ultra confidence. He didn't have that star QB either until a very young Cam Newton very late in his career, and maybe you could stretch and say Flacco after that in his twilight days. Smith carried that Panthers passing game though and did it for a long time.

Julio Jones - It's not over, but as is I think I would land him as between Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson, but I don't know if that's top 10.

Michael Irvin - The physical 90s WR, but I think he's more top 20 than top 10. Team success helps, but I don't think he was the best WR in any year he played (or second best if you want to argue Jerry is always just #1).

Art Monk - The Skin's great WR is worthy of listing for possible top 10 inclusion with the team success and numbers to back it as well. I think he was on all the Skins SB teams if I remember right, but may have just been 2? I am not super familiar with his career, but I know it belongs in the talk.

The Raiders - Tim Brown, Fred Biletnikoff, Cliff Branch - I think they are all closer to the 10-20 range, but I'd put them in contention (and in the order I listed them). Might be because I'm a Raider fan though, so I'll just leave there names at the bottom.

Gotta say, this was an excellent read.

5 hours ago, Trojan said:

Don Hutson - The original GOAT, unlike an Alworth type Hudson was so long ago I feel like the era is a negative as he was even pre-integration and it was truly a running sport, so his dominance really has no rival. He's like the equivalent of a late 1800s pitcher that was hyper dominant. He is a GOAT, but where in a list with more modern guys, who knows where to rank him.

- I mentioned in Hutson in my post, and I agree passing was so rudimentary at the time it's tough to project. But I feel that he has to be put on any top 10 list because he was Ruthian in his dominance. 

- Andre Johnson is one of those players that you think is "oh  yeah, he was good" and then look at the numbers and your jaw drops. Playing for an "oh yeah, there's a team in that city!" franchise in Houston didn't do him any favours. 

- I've been watching Green Bay since the mid 80s, and Sharpe ranks among the best players regardless of position that I've seen play for that franchise (a list that include Favre, Rodgers, White, Woodson, Bakhtiari, and Leroy Butler. Probably Nick Collins as well). Considering the numbers that a lesser player like Antonio Freeman put up playing with Favre in his prime, I think it's fair to assume that Sharpe left 300 catches and 40 tds on the table due to his injury. 

- Jimmy Smith was amazing. He was consistently among the best in the league from 96-01. Probably had something of the Andre Johnson syndrome. 

- Steve Smith was only "great" for one or two years, but he was consistently very, very good for the bulk of his career. 

- Art Monk is an interesting case. He set the all-time single season (106 in 1983) and career rec record, but beyond that, he's a "Hall of Very Good" player; I'd argue that he was the 2nd best WR on his own team behind Gary Clark for a long chunk of his career. 

Never watched Jerry in his prime, Moss is the greatest talent I’ve seen. If we’re removing the entire politics from it, he’s certainly #1 for me. Though I still wouldn’t put TO 2nd.

1. Randy Moss
2. Megatron
3. TO

4. Andre Johnson
5. Larry Fitzgerald
6. Julio Jones

7. Torry Holt
8. Antonio Brown
9. Chad Johnson
10. Steve Smith

I can only rank what I’ve seen. Especially when we consider removing the “politics” of it all, as Moss is stipulating with his comments.

Edit: Though I can understand why Moss would have TO second, considering his short area quickness allowed him to be a bigger threat in the short passing attack than Megatron could hope to accomplish.

Edited by diamondbull424