BDL Discussion Thread 2021

Jlash

Just now, Blue said:

Jones is 31 and Shenault averaged 10 YPR last year.

I’m not saying anything about Jones long term prospects but him being 31 should have zero impact on his 2021 performance.

DJ Chark will be back.

6 minutes ago, MD4L said:

He was really good last year and should again be a useful target this season.

He's still getting older and at the age most receivers drop off at the same time he's changing teams to play with a rookie quarterback (albeit a really good one). It's not like Marvin Jones has ever been an elite deep threat or anything.

7 minutes ago, Blue said:

He wasn't really a deep threat in college, either.

1.  Colorado QB 

2. He was used as a RB and wildcat qb in college also. They let him get yac yards and he was constantly double teamed over the top 

3.  Take this from a guy who really really likes Shenault from scouting him last year so I might be a bit biased 

1 minute ago, bcb1213 said:

1.  Colorado QB 

2. He was used as a RB and wildcat qb in college also. They let him get yac yards and he was constantly double teamed over the top 

3.  Take this from a guy who really really likes Shenault from scouting him last year so I might be a bit biased 

Yeah, I remember watching him coming out and thinking he was a guy who got by on raw talent and didn't really develop. He has the ability to be a deep threat, sure, but my point is that he hasn't proven it yet.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Blue said:

He's still getting older and at the age most receivers drop off at the same time he's changing teams to play with a rookie quarterback (albeit a really good one). It's not like Marvin Jones has ever been an elite deep threat or anything.

I disagree. Marvin Jones can go deep. Fair point on potential drop off.

Also DJ Chark does suffice as a deep threat and Lawrence will be the best QB he’s played with by far. 

7 minutes ago, Blue said:

Yeah, I remember watching him coming out and thinking he was a guy who got by on raw talent and didn't really develop. He has the ability to be a deep threat, sure, but my point is that he hasn't proven it yet.

Shenault would be baller in the slasher role, which makes me again question why they are using Etienne to a similar role. And then they aren’t even playing them.

Edited by MD4L
  • Like 1

Just now, samsel23 said:

Did Lawrence have many burners in college?   Seems like his best guys were identical to Jones skill set 

His receiving core got progressively worse each year at Clemson. The only true vertical burner (at this level) would be Justyn Ross.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MD4L said:

I disagree. Marvin Jones can go deep. Fair point on potential drop off.

Also DJ Chark does suffice as a deep threat and Lawrence will be the best QB he’s played with by far. 

He can, I just don't think anyone reasonably expects him to be a consistent deep threat. Dude's always been a short to intermediate guy outside of one year in Detroit.

And yo, I don't think either of these guys are bad! You're just not building much of a deep passing game around either of them. Chark's the guy there.

1 minute ago, samsel23 said:

Did Lawrence have many burners in college?   Seems like his best guys were identical to Jones skill set 

Not really, but it's a different game in college. You can generate big plays downfield with guys who aren't gonna be deep threats in the NFL.