Tyty’s Gaming Journal

Ty21

Played about 3 minutes of God of War last night to start it but I was pretty worn out from the day so I turned it off. I liked the previous game but not as much as everyone else for a few reasons: incredibly repetitive enemies, lack of big splash bosses (hopefully I can finally fight thor or Odin or something), and I played it immediately after playing AC Valhalla so I was Norse Mythologied out. 8.5/10 on the first one, Im expecting more from this 

19 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Played about 3 minutes of God of War last night to start it but I was pretty worn out from the day so I turned it off. I liked the previous game but not as much as everyone else for a few reasons: incredibly repetitive enemies, lack of big splash bosses (hopefully I can finally fight thor or Odin or something), and I played it immediately after playing AC Valhalla so I was Norse Mythologied out. 8.5/10 on the first one, Im expecting more from this 

The sequel is definitely better considering your issues. There are a couple parts where it gets a tad slow but overall it is a great game

• Like 1

Solid start, the fight with Thor was badass. But I’ve already had to fight raiders that were absolute clones of each other, which is annoying. I’m not asking for Shadow of Mordor diversity, but it shouldn’t be that hard to change up anything between two enemies. They’re just copy paste and nameless 

• 2 weeks later...

I’d say so far it’s considerably better than the first one. But I am kinda annoyed by the forced backtracking. Locked out of certain areas and mechanics until you unlock it later in the game so you’ll have to come through again later on of your own volition. Wouldn’t bother some people but I am a fringe completionist so it’s gonna cost me some time lol. 

The maps in this game undeniably suck, but they’re still better than the Jedi survivor games. Would be better just having a vague compass system instead of sometimes not even sending you the right way. each place on the map you can interact with should say cleared once you finish it. And parts you can’t interact with until you get to a certain main story part should say locked so you don’t go all the way to that part to learn you can’t do anything.  

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 12:34 PM, Ty21 said:

I’d say so far it’s considerably better than the first one. 

Man gotta respectfully disagree with you here.  Maybe the gameplay is better but the story in Ragnarok is so bad IMO.  Still a good game but the story was so bad I was just happy to get it over with by the end.  

6 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Man gotta respectfully disagree with you here.  Maybe the gameplay is better but the story in Ragnarok is so bad IMO.  Still a good game but the story was so bad I was just happy to get it over with by the end.  

I like more involved it seems. Different side characters, more new mechanics and weapons. And you are gearing up to fight actual gods. Baldur and thors lame kids don’t count 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I agree with this.  

I loved the 2018 GoW (first play through at least) but after about the 4 or 5 hour mark of Ragnarok I ******* hated this game. I got 16 hours in before I quit and sold my PS5.  

I felt the pacing was awful as well as the story and unskipable (gaming sin) cutscenes.  The combat was ok-ish to me. 

Also **** Atreus and his existence.  

I felt the story in Ragnarok wass still really good. There were some moments

Spoiler

(Atreus missions)

where I was ready to take a break for sure. 2018 GoW story was surely better, and imo

Spoiler

this should have been a trilogy. 

I guess I’m against the pack since I’m actually liking this game. Maybe I didn’t like the first as much because everyone acted like it was the GOAT. So I unfortunately had it on an unrealistic pedestal when I played. 

I was confused with the treatment of Fenrir in this game. Having him be a sickly wolf that dies in the beginning didn’t make much sense to me, but then imparting his soul into the mega wolf makes it more in line with the Norse mythology I’m familiar with. 

also, to carry on my map complaints: I was lined up perfected with my quest destination and beelined to it. The quest marker on the compass flopped all over the place as I moved towards it. Makes it an absolute nightmare when you’re hoping to use that marker to find out where you’re going. 

7 hours ago, JBURGE said:

I felt the story in Ragnarok wass still really good. There were some moments

Hide contents

(Atreus missions)

where I was ready to take a break for sure. 2018 GoW story was surely better, and imo

Hide contents

this should have been a trilogy. 

100% agree with your second point 

Spoiler

I have a lot of issues with the story, but among the biggest that could have been solved by having a 3rd game is how underwhelming Ragnarok (the name of the game!) is.  You are told time and time again how big of a deal this is.  And then nothing really comes out of it and Kratos beats Odin like its nothing.  Kratos had a harder time defeating Baldur in the 1st GOW than he did ending Ragnarok/beating Odin.  It makes everything after the Tyr/Odin twist feel super rushed.  If they could have delivered on that it changes everything.  But it makes the whole game feel like a lie.  Also at the end of GOW 2018 Kratos sees that he dies... and then in GOWR at no point did it ever feel like Kratos was ever in serious danger.  

I could go on and on.  The plot is just all over the place.  Someone said the game felt like it got taken over by Disney writers and I've got to agree.  They push this "Kratos doesn't want to kill" anymore mumbo jumbo but all you do with Kratos is kill.  It makes no sense.  They try too hard to make everyone some sympathetic character.  And the dialogue was much worse in this game than the original too.

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

I guess I’m against the pack since I’m actually liking this game.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the game.  I'd never tell anyone to not play it.  But if I could go back in time and lower my expectations of what to expect from the story, I would have.  That is why I'm so harsh on it - not because it is a bad game, but because the expectations were stupid high and it undelivered in a big way

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

I’m wary to google this game but I’m trying to make sense of Mimir being totally fine after getting decapitated but Heimdall dying from being strangled. Only makes sense if Mimir is immortal