Tyty’s Gaming Journal

Ty21

11 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

This game is super long.  If you’re not a huge DBZ fan (I am) I’m not sure you’ll get a ton out of it. 

I was an enormous DBZ fan. I’ve read all the manga several times over. I haven’t cared much for the Super stuff but haven’t tried too hard with it. The cat god and his friend and their constant filler episodes of just eating was too much for me. At least through the saiyan saga in the game they cut out all the filler junk that makes it impossible to watch the show and it’s just the key moments. I like being back in it. There hasn’t been a good game since ps2. 

3 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I was an enormous DBZ fan. I’ve read all the manga several times over. I haven’t cared much for the Super stuff but haven’t tried too hard with it. The cat god and his friend and their constant filler episodes of just eating was too much for me. At least through the saiyan saga in the game they cut out all the filler junk that makes it impossible to watch the show and it’s just the key moments. I like being back in it. There hasn’t been a good game since ps2. 

I really liked Super, a lot more than the Cell and Buu sagas

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Is Kakarot a fighting game, or like an RPG/adventure game?

It’s a free roaming adventurey rpg with a ton of fight elements. It’s what I think Budokai 3 was but I never got to play that one (my copy I got from GameStop didn’t work, so I only played 1+2 and all the budokai tenkaichis). The vibe I guess is kinda similar to the Yakuza series (even though I didn’t enjoy them) where you kinda run around collecting stuff, doing side missions and this and that but a considerably enhanced version. Fights are pretty static so far, probably feel repetitive after a while especially after fighting the random encounter enemies that aren’t a part of the story lol. But I’m having more fun than I expected with it. I’m enjoying leveling super attacks and unlocking new ones and whatnot. There’s a level of strategy to it, but I just Leroy jenkins it every time unless I’m krillin 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I really liked Super, a lot more than the Cell and Buu sagas

I was at a pretty much perfect age for those, 8 when cell released in America and like 11 for buu. It was amplified by the mystique of it all as my ability to even see episodes was hindered by my parent’s hatred of technology so I really could only watch randomly at my grandmas. Experiencing it as it’s going hits different but in hindsight I don’t like regenerative enemies at all, so I might agree. I think I’d be more into super if I could skip the beerus cat stuff 

So yeah I’m having fun with the game actually, totally unexpectedly. Playing as vegeta now on Namek. I wish Akira Toriyama had been a bit more consistent with the power level scouting stuff. It hasn’t said it yet but I remember Frieza boasting at his base form having a power level of a million, so Vegeta going his entire life battling and surviving to only have a power level of 24,000 that eventually boosts up to the point he can compete with a frieza evolution just doesn’t really make sense. 

On 4/30/2023 at 6:30 PM, MKnight82 said:

This game is super long.  If you’re not a huge DBZ fan (I am) I’m not sure you’ll get a ton out of it. 

I was the opposite.  I was never much of a DBZ fan.  I watched a couple episodes, as a kid, and had friends who were huge fans, so I learned some things just through them, but it never really grabbed me, when I did watch, and I had zero interest of watching it as an adult.  The game was a great way for me to learn about the universe and the characters that I knew the names off but not much outside of really basic info on them.  

The game was perfect for someone like me who had a mild interest in the world, but didn't want to invest the time into watching hundreds of episodes.  I actually thought it seemed geared more toward the casual fan than the hardcore, who have heard those sagas told to death.  

I tried Xenoverse a few years back but it just felt to convoluted.  It seemed like you needed some background knowledge to know what was going on, where Kakarot felt more contained and linear.  

Edited by OkeyDoke21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I was the opposite.  I was never much of a DBZ fan.  I watched a couple episodes, as a kid, and had friends who were huge fans, so I learned some things just through them, but it never really grabbed me, when I did watch, and I had zero interest of watching it as an adult.  The game was a great way for me to learn about the universe and the characters that I knew the names off but not much outside of really basic info on them.  

The game was perfect for someone like me who had a mild interest in the world, but didn't want to invest the time into watching hundreds of episodes.  I actually thought it seemed geared more toward the casual fan than the hardcore, who have heard those sagas told to death.  

I tried Xenoverse a few years back but it just felt to convoluted.  It seemed like you needed some background knowledge to know what was going on, where Kakarot felt more contained and linear.  

I find that strange because this game is basically you just playing through the tv show. 

One thing I don’t like about this game which is a small nitpick, but it’s something that was done in a prior dbz game: when you’re in a battle where you’re destined to lose, they should let you play as the bad guy that canonically wins the fight. 

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I find that strange because this game is basically you just playing through the tv show. 

Not strange. The show is 90% filler and build up. The game is like DBZ: Greatest Hits. It’s watching a football player’s highlight reel over watching 10,000 hours of game film. I can relate to @OkeyDoke21 in that regard, but also suggest reading through the manga. It’s the same content as the show but more concise. There aren’t just entire episodes dedicated to some meaningless side story, it’s the thick of it with still enough depth to really feel the tension of the story. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Not strange. The show is 90% filler and build up. The game is like DBZ: Greatest Hits. It’s watching a football player’s highlight reel over watching 10,000 hours of game film. I can relate to @OkeyDoke21 in that regard, but also suggest reading through the manga. It’s the same content as the show but more concise. There aren’t just entire episodes dedicated to some meaningless side story, it’s the thick of it with still enough depth to really feel the tension of the story. 

Well they had to make filler episodes while they were waiting for him to write the next manga.  

• 2 weeks later...

So yeah I really didn’t expect to enjoy this game as much as I did. The YouTube vids I watched years ago just didn’t look interesting. I for the most part don’t have permanent nostalgia for the stuff I was into as a kid, but I’ll have moments where I’ll really love DBZ again and read all the manga and stuff. I thought the game was a ton of fun and I feel like I have some fresh takes on the series that I didn’t have before. 

•First off, idk if it’s just this but Goku is a totally s****y dad lol. Let’s Gohan get kidnapped from the get-go, then every interaction with him is like on a co-fighter level, never paternal. Even when he thought gohan got killed by buu, he instantly cycled to the plan moving forward, but he also seemed more upset by Vegeta’s death lol. Their dynamic isn’t father-son or even a dad being a friend instead of a parent, he’s straight up just another member of their fight squad lol. 

•Secondly, having autonomy to choose when to do missions and stuff is nice, but I took advantage by making my character land on the ground and sprint a couple miles into the mission cause it looks so freaking stupid lol. Yakety Sax esque 

•thirdly, I think why Akira Toriyama may or may not have hit a wall was making regenerative enemies. It’s dumb. I’d rather have a super imposing enemy than one that just bounces back 

•The Cell Saga is hands down the best. I was always on the fence between Frieza, Cell and Buu. Frieza was good but Cell is more emotionally compelling and I have to say, Gohan turning Super saiyan 2 was cooler than Goku turning ssj1. It gave me goosebumps. 

•Buu saga is genuinely hard to get through. Everyone hates the great saiyaman obviously but this time through goten/kid trunks/gotenks annoyed the **** out of me and Buu is just a bad enemy. I’d say everything in the buildup (outside of great saiyaman) up until Buu hatches is gold. 

•the voice actors for goten and trunks just straight up suck lol. They sound like my 6 year old daughter when she does her baby voice 

•One of my favorite but also least favorite parts about the game is the removal of filler and certain fights. There were a couple times I just sat there and watched the entire issue resolve in cutscenes that in previous games you had to battle through every little thing. The side missions were short and sweet. I would’ve personally changed a few things (I think I addressed before the previous game that let you play as a bad guy against the good guys when it was cannon for the bad guy to win). 

•I decided to go through and platinum the game for the first time in a long while. It wasn’t a difficult platinum, I put in 64 hrs all said and done. I got the game for free (which is probably why I wasn’t critical of it) but I’m trying to decide if I want to do the dlc for it. I’m pretty unfamiliar with Super. 

•8.3/10. Perfectly above mid B- type game. 

Star Wars Jedi Survivor will be up next