Historical Run on QB's 2021 NFL Draft

Big T

In the 2021NFL Draft I believe there will be an unprecedented run on QB's possibly as many as 6 in a row.

11 Teams have a need for QB's the Jets are included in this list

N.E., 49ers, Broncos, Miami, Atlanta, Raiders, Saints, Steelers, Vikings, Washington, and our beloved Jets.

Now for arguments sake the Jets could hold on to Darnold, which would leave the top 6 QB's in this draft class available to the afore mentioned teams.

Should the Jets feel that they can salvage Darnold's career (23 yrs old) then the second pick becomes very lucrative for the Jets draft capitol wise.

T. Law will be the first off the board (Jacksonville would be committing NFL suicide otherwise)

Which leads us to the second pick available and where it gets interesting. You see Miami is not sold on Tua, in fact they are looking to draft a QB with the 3rd pick.

Suppose Miami wants a certain QB, be it Wilson or Fields and would be willing to hop skip one spot to grab one of them.

The Jets could land in the 3rd spot with added draft capitol, Miami could offer up a second rounder this year plus some future compensation.

Next up is Atlanta, the Falcons have to be thinking long term here and grabbing a Wilson or Fields would be a no brainer.

The Jets could certainly swap out with Atlanta pick up the Falcon's pick and future compensation.

Cincinnati picks Sewell here

Here's really where the fun begins, because there are teams who are playoff calibre who missed the playoffs in particular the 49ers.

But their sitting at the 12th position and would have to jump up 6 spots to draft a QB (IMHO Darnold will be a 49er next season)

N.E. surely would want to move up having no QB whatsoever, they are desperate for a QB they would have to move up 8 spots.

The lower 3 QB's undrafted at this juncture IMHO is Jones, Trask, and Lance. 

Outside of the top 3, Jones is a favorite of mine and I would even be happy with him if the Jets drafted down and picked him up as a replacement for Darnold. He is a student of the game and his numbers, ball placement, and T.O. ratio are off the charts.

I regress,  Detroit surely has to be looking to the future someone to replace Stafford

Carolina, Denver?

Now granted its all speculative at this juncture, but what is not speculative is the needs of 11 of these teams to find a viable solution at the most important position on any NFL team.

So as a GM who's franchise is made the playoffs the year before and are sitting on playoff calibre teams would be willing to pony up 6-8 spots, or trade future picks for a QB?

Here we come back to the Jets, say a team like the 49ers would not be willing to sell the farm to grab a QB, but would be willing to part with a 1st rounder in 2022, Darnold will be wearing a 49er uniform.

So I think you see, that a run on QB's could very well be in play, and should the Jets decide that they are going all in on Darnold, they will be picking up some major draft capitol along the way.

If the Jets decide to draft a QB then the first 4 picks in the draft would be QB's, surely Detroit will want to move up and grab one of the remaining QB, that would be 5, Carolina, Denver and the 49ers could be positioning themselves to grab the final of the top 6.

I tell you this could be a very interesting and historical draft, and the Jets should they decide to move on from Darnold could find themselves with a huge haul of draft capitol in 2021 and 2022.

6 minutes ago, Big T said:

In the 2021NFL Draft I believe there will be an unprecedented run on QB's possibly as many as 6 in a row.

11 Teams have a need for QB's the Jets are included in this list

N.E., 49ers, Broncos, Miami, Atlanta, Raiders, Saints, Steelers, Vikings, Washington, and our beloved Jets.

Now for arguments sake the Jets could hold on to Darnold, which would leave the top 6 QB's in this draft class available to the afore mentioned teams.

Should the Jets feel that they can salvage Darnold's career (23 yrs old) then the second pick becomes very lucrative for the Jets draft capitol wise.

T. Law will be the first off the board (Jacksonville would be committing NFL suicide otherwise)

Which leads us to the second pick available and where it gets interesting. You see Miami is not sold on Tua, in fact they are looking to draft a QB with the 3rd pick.

Suppose Miami wants a certain QB, be it Wilson or Fields and would be willing to hop skip one spot to grab one of them.

The Jets could land in the 3rd spot with added draft capitol, Miami could offer up a second rounder this year plus some future compensation.

Next up is Atlanta, the Falcons have to be thinking long term here and grabbing a Wilson or Fields would be a no brainer.

The Jets could certainly swap out with Atlanta pick up the Falcon's pick and future compensation.

Cincinnati picks Sewell here

Here's really where the fun begins, because there are teams who are playoff calibre who missed the playoffs in particular the 49ers.

But their sitting at the 12th position and would have to jump up 6 spots to draft a QB (IMHO Darnold will be a 49er next season)

N.E. surely would want to move up having no QB whatsoever, they are desperate for a QB they would have to move up 8 spots.

The lower 3 QB's undrafted at this juncture IMHO is Jones, Trask, and Lance. 

Outside of the top 3, Jones is a favorite of mine and I would even be happy with him if the Jets drafted down and picked him up as a replacement for Darnold. He is a student of the game and his numbers, ball placement, and T.O. ratio are off the charts.

I regress,  Detroit surely has to be looking to the future someone to replace Stafford

Carolina, Denver?

Now granted its all speculative at this juncture, but what is not speculative is the needs of 11 of these teams to find a viable solution at the most important position on any NFL team.

So as a GM who's franchise is made the playoffs the year before and are sitting on playoff calibre teams would be willing to pony up 6-8 spots, or trade future picks for a QB?

Here we come back to the Jets, say a team like the 49ers would not be willing to sell the farm to grab a QB, but would be willing to part with a 1st rounder in 2022, Darnold will be wearing a 49er uniform.

So I think you see, that a run on QB's could very well be in play, and should the Jets decide that they are going all in on Darnold, they will be picking up some major draft capitol along the way.

If the Jets decide to draft a QB then the first 4 picks in the draft would be QB's, surely Detroit will want to move up and grab one of the remaining QB, that would be 5, Carolina, Denver and the 49ers could be positioning themselves to grab the final of the top 6.

I tell you this could be a very interesting and historical draft, and the Jets should they decide to move on from Darnold could find themselves with a huge haul of draft capitol in 2021 and 2022.

I don't see a historic run on QB's. There are more QB FA(Dak) than ever before then you add QB's that could be traded like Carson Wentz, Watson, Darnold. You will see your usual 4 QB's get picked in the first round and the top 2 picks being the QB. 

2 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I don't see a historic run on QB's. There are more QB FA(Dak) than ever before then you add QB's that could be traded like Carson Wentz, Watson, Darnold. You will see your usual 4 QB's get picked in the first round and the top 2 picks being the QB. 

Sorry, Dak, isn't going anywhere, Wentz? Who's picking up his guaranteed contract, Watson? as in Houston? He's not going anywhere, so where left with Darnold, and perhaps Garappolo who's been hurt and who the 49ers want to move on from. Rumor has it N.E. may be interested in bringing him back.

2 minutes ago, Big T said:

Sorry, Dak, isn't going anywhere, Wentz? Who's picking up his guaranteed contract, Watson? as in Houston? He's not going anywhere, so where left with Darnold, and perhaps Garappolo who's been hurt and who the 49ers want to move on from. Rumor has it N.E. may be interested in bringing him back.

Dak is up in the air with the injury. I'm not sold on the Cowboys brining him back. If they wanted him that bad they would have given him a contract a year or 2 ago. Now you add the injury and it is even more of a major risk to sign him. You also add Fitz to the mix too. Ryan Fitz could be the Pats QB too. I would not be shocked if the Texans do trade Watson. It seems he is pretty upset how Houstin is being run and wants nothing to do with it. From his tweets he was not to happy about the NEW GM coming over from the Pats. Probably he is thinkig it is Bill O'Brien all over again. 

All 11 of those teams do not NEED a QB. They have QB’s in place. Maybe some teams WANT a QBOTF (ATL, Pitt, Det), but outside of NE, Jets, Jax, Denver, maybe Car. there is not a need. In other words, these teams will most likely not pay the price to move up. They can wait or select a QB later in the draft and hope they work out. 

On 1/7/2021 at 8:33 AM, jetfuel34 said:

Dak is up in the air with the injury. I'm not sold on the Cowboys brining him back. If they wanted him that bad they would have given him a contract a year or 2 ago. Now you add the injury and it is even more of a major risk to sign him. You also add Fitz to the mix too. Ryan Fitz could be the Pats QB too. I would not be shocked if the Texans do trade Watson. It seems he is pretty upset how Houstin is being run and wants nothing to do with it. From his tweets he was not to happy about the NEW GM coming over from the Pats. Probably he is thinkig it is Bill O'Brien all over again. 

I just found out about Watson supposedly wanting out of Texas, and I wanted Watson when he came out and when the Jets were on the clock saw him slip through our hands. He attends my church from time to time in Georgia. Really great guy, great citizen too. Well, we'll see.

22 hours ago, xrade said:

All 11 of those teams do not NEED a QB. They have QB’s in place. Maybe some teams WANT a QBOTF (ATL, Pitt, Det), but outside of NE, Jets, Jax, Denver, maybe Car. there is not a need. In other words, these teams will most likely not pay the price to move up. They can wait or select a QB later in the draft and hope they work out. 

Considering the strength of this years draft when it comes to QB's teams that have potential to reach the playoffs will very definitely be in play for a QB, I just happen to disagree with you.

12 minutes ago, Big T said:

I just found out about Watson supposedly wanting out of Texas, and I wanted Watson when he came out and when the Jets were on the clock saw him slip through our hands. He attends my church from time to time in Georgia. Really great guy, great citizen too. Well, we'll see.

You need to tell him the Jets would be a great fit for him. :)

• Like 1

A lot of the teams that need a QB don't need another prospect, developmental guy or project. They need to start winning and they need an established guy. I just don't see an historical run because free agency happens before the draft and teams cannot base their future solely with a draft pick for such an important position. Only the Jaguars can, really.

• 3 weeks later...

The line starts on the right, here we are Jan. 30th 2021 and there is more QB controversy in the NFL this year than at any time in my life that I can remember where QB's could be moved.

From contenders, to near contenders, to basement dwellers, and teams who have to find a future answer at the position.

It doesn't seem so out of place now that I believe there will be a run on QB's in this years draft, especially in light of the fact that playoff calibre teams are looking to trade their starters.

So if Detroit trades Stafford, and he will be traded, who do they replace him with? Carolina is looking to enrich itself with a QB, its reported that the Rams may part with Goff and who knows the deal in Philly with Wentz.

No, no, no, this year will be remembered as the year of the QB including the draft.

Do you think teams are eager to draft the next Jordan Love?

Teams have to be careful. You should not forcefeed quarterbacks when they are clearly not ready.

Yes, there is more QB controversy than in years past, no doubt about that. But I still believe free agency and trades are going to be the way to go for most teams. Sure, everybody is hoping to find the next Justin Herbert. But if you get the next Love, then what? 

All this controversy is good news for guys like Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, Mitchell Trubisky, Jimmy Garoppolo and possibly even Sam Darnold. They may all get a starting gig next year...or at least a chance to compete for No. 1. 

It might also be good news for Gardner Minshew II, Joe Flacco, Nick Foles and Taysom Hill. Maybe Drew Brees decides he wants to continue playing, as well. 

All of those guys are better 2021 starting QB options than most of the '21 draft class, save for maybe Fields and Wilson. Maybe.

On 1/30/2021 at 10:22 AM, Jag68Sid87 said:

Do you think teams are eager to draft the next Jordan Love?

Teams have to be careful. You should not forcefeed quarterbacks when they are clearly not ready.

Yes, there is more QB controversy than in years past, no doubt about that. But I still believe free agency and trades are going to be the way to go for most teams. Sure, everybody is hoping to find the next Justin Herbert. But if you get the next Love, then what? 

All this controversy is good news for guys like Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, Mitchell Trubisky, Jimmy Garoppolo and possibly even Sam Darnold. They may all get a starting gig next year...or at least a chance to compete for No. 1. 

It might also be good news for Gardner Minshew II, Joe Flacco, Nick Foles and Taysom Hill. Maybe Drew Brees decides he wants to continue playing, as well. 

All of those guys are better 2021 starting QB options than most of the '21 draft class, save for maybe Fields and Wilson. Maybe.

I don't think its fair to clump all QB's into the Love category, as for the QB's you've mentioned in Mariota, Winston, Trubisky, and Garoppolo they are below average, can take you some distance during the season, but none are reliable. As for Darnold, he has during his career in the NFL a passable defense and a less than adequate offense.

Listen to Joe Douglas as he talks with Darnolds parents "my priority is to protect Sam", first thing he does is surround him with a slightly better OL than he has had.

Listen to Frank Gore. "Give Sam the same tools that Mayfield has and Sam would excel"

Listen to  Q Williams "Don't draft a QB, draft a WR with the second pick"

As for Love, has he had any opportunity to succeed, perhaps he will sit and learn.

As for guy's the Jets passed on Watson they could have had him and I wanted him , Maccagnan passed on him, Russel Wilson ,a Jet scout who was GM at one time begged the Jets to draft him, Mahomes was loved by everyone in the organization except upper management, but passed on. We had Dak Prescott in for a look see before we drafted and passed on him.

So I can give Love some love and wait and see how his career goes.

Perhaps Darnold isn't a mistake, perhaps, he turns out to be who we believe he was all along a franchise QB.

The  D. Watson saga will determine that and the draft if need be.

I just don't agree with anyone, including his teammates and his GM, who believes Darnold has the goods. I hope I am wrong if he remains our starting QB, but I will be largely disappointed if the new regime decides that Sam Darnold is our best option. It is clearly not.

1 hour ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I just don't agree with anyone, including his teammates and his GM, who believes Darnold has the goods. I hope I am wrong if he remains our starting QB, but I will be largely disappointed if the new regime decides that Sam Darnold is our best option. It is clearly not.