The Marvin Jones Jr Appreciation Thread

TL-TwoWinsAway

Just now, Karnage84 said:

I don't think it would be just about money though. It's more about opportunity and getting a shot at something else to cap off a career. A bunch of teams towards the bottom of the draft in need of a WR:

• Miami
  • Indianapolis
  • Baltimore
  • New Orleans
  • Green Bay
  • Kansas City

Miami has Parker and Williams as young up and comers and gave a decent deal to Grant.  So he would likely be a third/4th option there on a short term deal. 

Indy has Pittman and Campbell that both have shown upside.  They might try and keep TY since they have the cap space to do so.  Also their status will depend highly on the QB situation.  If Rivers retires, they arent a contender.  If he sticks around, for how long?  Its a risky situation. 

Baltimore has plenty of WRs, and some solid young ones, they just dont have a great QB.  He would have to be comfortable moving into a blocking role and much reduced production in catches and yards.  This could happen, but not sure he would be a top priority to them.  

New Orleans has no money and will likely have to blow that team up.  And still would likely be just a third option. 

Green Bay is a possibility as they need WRs but seem to find enough and at a low price.  He also would have to be fine moving to a cold weather outdoor stadium which isn't always good for aging speed. 

KC he would be a third WR at best and thats if Watkins doesnt take another short term, less money deal to stay there.  It could be enticing playing with Mahomes but again I don't think he would be a top priority for them. 

Most of the WR needy teams are sitting at home already and aren't in a much better situation than us.  I could see if we trade Stafford to Washington that he would join him there.  But I just don't see his market being very high and his options will be limited.  Thats what happens to WRs in their 30s that aren't elite. 

12 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Miami has Parker and Williams as young up and comers and gave a decent deal to Grant.  So he would likely be a third/4th option there on a short term deal. 

Indy has Pittman and Campbell that both have shown upside.  They might try and keep TY since they have the cap space to do so.  Also their status will depend highly on the QB situation.  If Rivers retires, they arent a contender.  If he sticks around, for how long?  Its a risky situation. 

Baltimore has plenty of WRs, and some solid young ones, they just dont have a great QB.  He would have to be comfortable moving into a blocking role and much reduced production in catches and yards.  This could happen, but not sure he would be a top priority to them.  

New Orleans has no money and will likely have to blow that team up.  And still would likely be just a third option. 

Green Bay is a possibility as they need WRs but seem to find enough and at a low price.  He also would have to be fine moving to a cold weather outdoor stadium which isn't always good for aging speed. 

KC he would be a third WR at best and thats if Watkins doesnt take another short term, less money deal to stay there.  It could be enticing playing with Mahomes but again I don't think he would be a top priority for them. 

Most of the WR needy teams are sitting at home already and aren't in a much better situation than us.  I could see if we trade Stafford to Washington that he would join him there.  But I just don't see his market being very high and his options will be limited.  Thats what happens to WRs in their 30s that aren't elite. 

This is why I keep banging the drum on  Stafford to Indy move IF he is going to be traded. It would just make too much sense on both sides if the Lions decide to restart/do right by Stafford in a rebuild. 

I believe I saw something where Bevell is being given serious consideration. If so, I would be really interested in seeing Kris Richard being brought into the fold. He has that connection while the two were in Seattle. When he was with Dallas, they were top 6 for PF and top 7 for yds in 2018. 

I wonder if Schneider would consider coming to Detroit with Bevell as HC. That would be a massive get for us and it would really instill faith that Bevell can be the guy. 

5 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I just wonder whether Marvin would want to come back to a rebuild. I don't question his skillset and his love of playing with Matthew Stafford. However, if you're now a free agent with recent, consistent production and you've played on two relatively mediocre teams without a sniff at a ring or even just the playoffs... why would you want to come back? 

I agree on what Marv's thinking may he in this scenario.. That said, it is likely he has developed roots with his family over the last 5 years, as well as, the relationship he has built professionally with Matthew. If the new regime comes in and says, "Hey, we want you here. Here is the contract to prove it. Here are the reasons we believe we can compete in the next two years which include Matthew being here, etc". It is not out of the realm for him to want to stay either, I guess is my point. 

3 minutes ago, BarryTheBest said:

I agree on what Marv's thinking may he in this scenario.. That said, it is likely he has developed roots with his family over the last 5 years, as well as, the relationship he has built professionally with Matthew. If the new regime comes in and says, "Hey, we want you here. Here is the contract to prove it. Here are the reasons we believe we can compete in the next two years which include Matthew being here, etc". It is not out of the realm for him to want to stay either, I guess is my point. 

100%. I'd be more than happy to see Marvin and Matthew stay in Detroit if the defense can get turned around quickly. 

Matthew and Marvin are guys I'll cheer for regardless of which uniform they're wearing. 

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

100%. I'd be more than happy to see Marvin and Matthew stay in Detroit if the defense can get turned around quickly. 

Matthew and Marvin are guys I'll cheer for regardless of which uniform they're wearing. 

No question. My brother is a 9ers fan and is really hoping they trade for Stafford. That happens, 9es would instantly become my second team.