Rank the following QBs

patriotsheatyan

2 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Kelly did not play particularly well in any of his final 3 AFC title games, and was straight up crap in the game against Denver. The Bills won all of those games. Kelly didn’t play all that well in the 1995 wildcard win against the Dolphins either. 

As loaded as those early 90s Cowboys teams were, Troy delivered some masterpieces in the playoffs. I fully expected the Niners to win that 93 NFCCG going in, but Aikman balled out. I don’t think an average QB could have replicated his performance in that game. The Cowboys probably would have won with any half decent starter the next year as they were never really challenged in the playoffs. A couple of years later in the 96 NFCCG though, Troy was nails again. He led the Cowboys over an elite Packers team despite having a clown for a coach that year.

Troy was a lot better than people tend to remember and Kelly was a little worse than people remember (although he was still really good).

Aikman had the best line in the league, one of the very best running games and receiving groups in the league. Aikman was good at not turning the ball over, hitting Novacek for 1sts, hitting Irvin on a slant and occasionally throwing a deep ball to Harper but all in all he wasn't asked to do all that much compared to a run n gun QB in which the offense revolved around. Obviously it's easier to stop the Bills by focusing on taking Kelly out than taking Aikman out to stop the Cowboy's offense because he isn't the focus and that line was legendary anyway.

I believe Kelly would have won SBs if he was the Dallas QB but no way could I imagine the Bills winning with Aikman.

Aikman is more accomplished, still believe Kelly (whole resume) was better.

3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Aikman had the best line in the league, one of the very best running games and receiving groups in the league. Aikman was good at not turning the ball over, hitting Novacek for 1sts, hitting Irvin on a slant and occasionally throwing a deep ball to Harper but all in all he wasn't asked to do all that much compared to a run n gun QB in which the offense revolved around. Obviously it's easier to stop the Bills by focusing on taking Kelly out than taking Aikman out to stop the Cowboy's offense because he isn't the focus and that line was legendary anyway.

I believe Kelly would have won SBs if he was the Dallas QB but no way could I imagine the Bills winning with Aikman.

Aikman is more accomplished, still believe Kelly (whole resume) was better.

Those Bills teams were almost as loaded on offense as the Cowboys. They scored 65 points in 2 playoff games with their backup QB. I don’t think it’s at all a given Kelly could’ve gotten the Cowboys past the Niners both times and the Packers for their last SB.

I also disagree that Aikman wouldn’t have gotten one if you put him in the Bills. I think they would have beaten the Giants. Kelly had a chance to put that game away after his defense put the Bills up 9 and he did jack squat. This was a recurring theme of his during SBs. 

Of the great QBs of his generation, Montana, Young, Aikman, Moon, Favre, Elway, and Marino, Kelly would be last for me.

3 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Those Bills teams were almost as loaded on offense as the Cowboys. They scored 65 points in 2 playoff games with their backup QB. I don’t think it’s at all a given Kelly could’ve gotten the Cowboys past the Niners both times and the Packers for their last SB.

I also disagree that Aikman wouldn’t have gotten one if you put him in the Bills. I think they would have beaten the Giants. Kelly had a chance to put that game away after his defense put the Bills up 9 and he did jack squat. This was a recurring theme of his during SBs. 

Of the great QBs of his generation, Montana, Young, Aikman, Moon, Favre, Elway, and Marino, Kelly would be last for me.

Of those, Aikman would be last for me. I understand playoff games are weighed more heavily but they don't do enough to put Aikman over Kelly. At least not for me.

On 2/5/2021 at 6:33 PM, Archimedes said:

Incredibly disrespectful to have Elway and Marino so low on that list

For me, I agree that Aikman and Kelly are the bottom two. I'm giving the edge to Kelly over Aikman, but they are basically even for me

I agree that any time you have a HOF WR and RB, that is loaded for the QB.. But I think most people would rank Aikman's weapons ahead of Kelly's weapons in that era

20 hours ago, Tk3 said:

Incredibly disrespectful to have Elway and Marino so low on that list

For me, I agree that Aikman and Kelly are the bottom two. I'm giving the edge to Kelly over Aikman, but they are basically even for me

I agree that any time you have a HOF WR and RB, that is loaded for the QB.. But I think most people would rank Aikman's weapons ahead of Kelly's weapons in that era

Lol, my friend that order I listed them in wasn’t how I was ranking them. I was just listing them out. If I were to rank them it would probably go:

Montana, Favre, Elway, Marino, Young, Moon, Aikman, and then Kelly. 

And you’re right, I would probably rank Aikman’s weapons as slightly superior to Kelly’s. Their supporting cast as far as skill position players was probably a push, but Aikman had some horses on that OL in front of him. Kelly’s OL wasn’t exactly filled with slouches, but they weren’t the Cowboys.

Ultimately, we’re in agreement about Kelly and Aikman being the bottom 2 of that group, even if we disagree slightly on who was the better of those 2.