Hitman Mock 1.0

Steeler Hitman

My bet is Diskerson goes in the 3rd.  I think he has only played one full season in college,  He is a limited athlete that wins with smarts and technique.  It is just such a risk to take on a Olineman that you can't count on to finish the season, every season.  That is why I put him in the 3rd.

Humphrey is a phone booth mauler  His short arms make him wait on blockers and his very limited mobility rarely see him make it to the 2nd level.  A tough sell for the Steelers.

David Moore is great looking OG prospect that has mobility and phone booth power.

Quinn Meinerz would be the one I target in the 2nd round.

This is a bad draft for needing a mobile center.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

My bet is Dickerson goes in the 3rd.  I think he has only played one full season in college, 

I think that is the proper grade/round for him based on his injury concerns, but I could see and I believe that someone will take him higher, especially if he can show he is progressing from his knee injury. I think he was actually hurt in all season's he played even at FSU if I recall from reading on him. But to your point, he may have played most of the games that year. 

He is a limited athlete that wins with smarts and technique. 

I don't think that is such a bad thing for an OL.  I reminded of old' school lineman Tunch Ilken and Craig Woofley who were both technicians more than players with great physical tools. Different era, but Ilken was extremely undersized, even by the standards then.  I think he can get stronger and will be able to better compete with the bigger and more physical NG's and DT's that Pouncey sometimes struggled with based on his strengths and weaknesses. You are correct that he is no where near the athlete to pull and get to the next level as Pouncey did.

It is just such a risk to take on a Olineman that you can't count on to finish the season, every season.  That is why I put him in the 3rd.

Facts! 100% truth. He is a gamble even there. I am cautiously optimistic because I do like the other things he brings. Realistically, the injuries are a big risk factor.

Humphrey is a phone booth mauler  His short arms make him wait on blockers and his very limited mobility rarely see him make it to the 2nd level.  A tough sell for the Steelers.

I agree with the assessment. I think it is time for the Steelers to get away from some of the athletic OL's and go with some physical, big McNasty's.  A physical rushing attack and strong defense can do for Big Ben what the Bronco's used to get Peyton Manning a SB ring late in his career.  I believe that Ben can still win with his arm, but not every game throwing 50 times. The offense can be more consistent and balanced with some solid and physical offensive lineman. 

David Moore is great looking OG prospect that has mobility and phone booth power.

I have not studied him yet, but heard really good things about him during the Reese's Senior Bowl. I think they had him as a potential C prospect because he was big and powerful, but on the short side of I recall (under 6'3). Do you see him as a potential mid (late 4th - 6th) to late round prospect? 

He's a stud! 

That might not be such a bad thing. It may force the Steelers to change that OL philosophy. Although I liked Pouncey, I have always personally preferred the Alex Mack type of Center. 

Thank you for the input. I have always enjoyed your evaluation of players. You are typically pretty spot on with your assessments and unlike many, you seem to put the time in watching film and studying the little things that make prospects succeed or fail. I will try my hand at another mock even though we are in the midst of free agency.  Free Agency could certainly shake things up with the mock and the real draft, based on who the Steelers keep and the one or two players that they will probably sign outside of the organization before the draft. 

8 hours ago, jebrick said:

My bet is Diskerson goes in the 3rd.  I think he has only played one full season in college,  He is a limited athlete that wins with smarts and technique.  It is just such a risk to take on a Olineman that you can't count on to finish the season, every season.  That is why I put him in the 3rd.

The more mobile centers (who had good college careers) are undersized - Morrissey, Dalman. 
Agree on Humphrey and hey, he tested pretty well, to be fair.
Also agree Dickerson is much more appealing in 3, but he also has versatility (has played G, T)
Meinerz tested very well. I worry about him in 1 or 2, but 3 on, great.
Myers from Ohios State is also a very solid player.
Hill his solid player to, from 4 onwards.

If things fell perfectly, I still think Humphreys in 2, Dickerson or Myers in 3. Meinerz or Hill anywhere after.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, gatek99 said:

I know a lot has changed since you posted this, especially with some of those guys not lasting nearly as long as they are listed, but man that would be a dream of a draft!

Long time no post!

• Like 2