2018 FA WRs

paraven

The problem with cutting Weddle is that the Ravens would need a starting free safety immediately lined up to replace him. Is that Webb? No, I don't think so. That would be a really short-term move. And there isn't anybody else on the team that could fit the bill. And if you're cutting these guys it's with the intent of making moves in free agency which is well before the draft so you can't really bank on the latter to fill this big of a hole. That leads to signing a free safety in free agency, and if it's anybody decent then the cap hit will be larger than what you're opening up by cutting Weddle. If Eric's play doesn't improve over the next couple of months and it's clear he can't play free safety then I'm fine with moving on but I don't think cutting him is a real avenue to getting more cap space.

I'd actually rather keep him and Jefferson and play them at the safety spots if needed, but draft a safety and then be able to utilize Tony in the dime with Eric as SS. Let the rookie split time with Webb at FS without total reliance on either. But, you know, Dean Pees. 

2 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

The problem with cutting Weddle is that the Ravens would need a starting free safety immediately lined up to replace him. Is that Webb? No, I don't think so. That would be a really short-term move. And there isn't anybody else on the team that could fit the bill. And if you're cutting these guys it's with the intent of making moves in free agency which is well before the draft so you can't really bank on the latter to fill this big of a hole. That leads to signing a free safety in free agency, and if it's anybody decent then the cap hit will be larger than what you're opening up by cutting Weddle. If Eric's play doesn't improve over the next couple of months and it's clear he can't play free safety then I'm fine with moving on but I don't think cutting him is a real avenue to getting more cap space.

I'd actually rather keep him and Jefferson and play them at the safety spots if needed, but draft a safety and then be able to utilize Tony in the dime with Eric as SS. Let the rookie split time with Webb at FS without total reliance on either. But, you know, Dean Pees. 

/stares sadly at Terrence Brooks' DPOW award for the Eagles

Also the problem is that we don't have a true FS. We have 2 box safeties, one who can't tackle, and one who can't cover. We had a true FS in Lardarius Webb and Terrence Brooks, and we have two true SS's in Weddle and Jefferson.

But yeah, like you said, Dean Pees. We can't draft a true FS when he's going to be playing in the box 50% of the time and we can't draft a true SS when he's going to be playing a 2 deep or single high coverage 50% of the time. We can't really draft any Safeties who aren't already all-around studs because of Pees' stupid scheme.

3 hours ago, RavensDefense3 said:

Probably isn't weddle or tony, it's dean pees. We've seen time and time again our safeties go somewhere else and be serviceable/good when they were bad here, and when great safeties come here they look average. Hopefully pagano gets fired so we can grab him for next season

Whatever we're doing with Jefferson and Weddle this year, it's making both of them look terrible. Heck, Jefferson doesn't even look good tackling and that's supposed to be his biggest strength!

10 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Whatever we're doing with Jefferson and Weddle this year, it's making both of them look terrible. Heck, Jefferson doesn't even look good tackling and that's supposed to be his biggest strength!

did anyone see the play where Jefferson comes up to the LOS and the ball is tossed to the edge, and he is still looking into the backfield for the ball as the ball carrier turns up field. He looked totally lost and it didnt look good.  I had to stop and replay to see what the heck he was doing

23 minutes ago, paraven said:

did anyone see the play where Jefferson comes up to the LOS and the ball is tossed to the edge, and he is still looking into the backfield for the ball as the ball carrier turns up field. He looked totally lost and it didnt look good.  I had to stop and replay to see what the heck he was doing

Just watched the "highlights" from the game. For a player who was supposed to be a great tackler, he does a really poor job of taking ancles and adjusting to the plays.

2 hours ago, Danand said:

Just watched the "highlights" from the game. For a player who was supposed to be a great tackler, he does a really poor job of taking ancles and adjusting to the plays.

The way he got absolutely juked out of his shoes trying to open field tackle Latavius Murray was pretty bad, too. On Murray's TD run

Archived