2018 Off-season: Who Do We Keep?

BAConrad

On 10/17/2017 at 6:24 AM, Jroc04 said:

I'd like to bring back Blount on a similar contract if he's willing while we groom a RB. 

I don't believe in grooming a RB really. Pass blocking is the only thing most of them suck at but Unless the guy is entirely awful at it I'd rather the rookie be in the backfield than Blount.

On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 5:47 PM, BAConrad said:

This upcoming free agency period will be exciting for us for entirely different reasons than usual. We have a number of key players who will be free agents and who we sign won't only affect the 2018 season, but it also has significant impacts on the future of this team.

Here is each player:

WR Alshon Jeffrey (UFA)

TE Trey Burton (UFA)

HB Darren Sproles (UFA)

HB LeGarrette Blount (UFA)

HB Kenjon Barner (UFA)

OG Chance Warmack (UFA)

LB Nigel Bradham (UFA)

S Corey Graham (UFA)

DT Timmy Jernigan (UFA)

LB Najee Goode (UFA)

CB Patrick Robinson (UFA)

CB Dexter McDougle (RFA)

DB Jaylen Watkins (RFA)

DT Beau Allen (UFA)

K Jake Elliott (ERFA)

LS Rick Lovato (ERFA)

So. Who do you think we keep? Realistically of course. 

Top 3 priority is Jernigan, Jeffery, then Bradham.

Patrick Robinson, Trey Burton, Beau Allen, and Jaylen Watkins are guys I would sign at the right price.

Elliot and Lovato will stay.

I wouldn't miss anyone else.

34 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

I don't believe in grooming a RB really. Pass blocking is the only thing most of them suck at but Unless the guy is entirely awful at it I'd rather the rookie be in the backfield than Blount.

Yep, I have to agree. When you look at the success that rookie RB's regularly have, there really is no need to sit them. Just have to draft well. 

2 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

That's a pretty big part of being a 3 down back, don't you think? We've seen it before, if you can't pass block, you can't play. Or you tip the defense if you're in. Even McCoy had a year splitting time and learning. If we take a RB early, he'll need time to adjust most likely. I'd rather have a veteran RB I can rely on to do those essential things on the roster. How long have we watched Celek "start" over Ertz? It's ok having a strong RB rotation. I don't see how it hurts you letting a RB prove he's ready rather than just handing the keys over to him. Especially, on a contending team. 

2018 UFA WRs list:

Big Names:

Sammy Watkins- Not getting much usage in LA and has expressed concern, I highly doubt he wants to be there.

Martavis Bryant- Plenty of talent, again not getting much play this year for some reason and has also expressed concern about staying.

Alshon Jeffery- We know his deal. Hopefully develops more chemistry with Wentz, can stay healthy and we can bring him back.

Allen Robinson- Says he wants to stay and i don't see any way the Jags don't throw a boatload of cash at him.

Jarvis Landry- The Dolphins have acknowledged they don't want to pay a slot receiver any money, so he's gone for sure. Not sure how well he'd fit here with Nelly doing ok in the slot.

Terrelle Pryor- Meh. Doing nothing for Washington.

Davante Adams- Probably closer to the mid tier, but he's a good player who is going to get paaaaid.

Mid Tier guys:

Paul Richardson- I actually like Richardson and think if he wasn't in such a run heavy scheme he'd be pretty productive. Had some injuries issues, but he's tough as hell, he's got speed and he can make circus catches. Only 25.

Brice Butler- Big bodied guy who can get deep. Been really inconsistent for Dallas, but he's young and has a little potential.

Taylor Gabriel- Little guy with tons of speed. Was lethal for the Falcons after coming on board mid year, just hasn't gotten going this year. Could just be a gadget guy.

John Brown- Dude could be elite if he can stay on the field. Unfortunately bad hammies exacerbated by his sickle cell anemia have slowed him down tremendously.

Jordan Matthews- We all know his limitations. 

Archived