Redskins 10th in NFL in rushing

turtle28

Don’t look now, but the Redskins are 10th in the nfl in rushing. Yes, that is skewed because of the few huge plays Thompson had in the Rams game and Cousins’ rushing, but they don’t take those yards away.

Also keep in mind that we have only played 5 games because we had our bye week already when the top 6 rushing teams have played 6 games.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Also keep in mind that we have only played 5 games because we had our bye week already when the top 6 rushing teams have played 6 games.

It seems like NFL.com's default rushing stat is yards/game, which removes the fact that we've played one less game. If it were total yards, we'd be 14th.

Yards/carry = 4.1 (tied for 16th) -_-
Attempts/game = 29.8 (tied for 6th) B|
1st down % by rushing = 16.8% (30th) >:(

Chris Thompson deserves all the credit for this. Perine is nothing to shake a stick at. He has no vision, no cutback, no speed. His hands are slowly turning to stone. 

Rob Kelley has not been on the field enough to really garner any of this attention either. 

Should have inquired about Peterson when we had the chance. 

If we are able to trade back in 2018 draft, take a RB with the extra pick. 

9 hours ago, Woz said:

It seems like NFL.com's default rushing stat is yards/game, which removes the fact that we've played one less game. If it were total yards, we'd be 14th.

Yards/carry = 4.1 (tied for 16th) -_-
Attempts/game = 29.8 (tied for 6th) B|
1st down % by rushing = 16.8% (30th) >:(

Yeah, IMO totally agree the entire stat they used is skewed, it’s just like when they use yards per game on defense.

No doubt we need to be better especially with as many carries as our RBs have been setting ever since week 1 but I was still shocked we were 10th overall in yards per game and if we are 14th overall, that’s still a lot better than I thought we’d be.

11 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Chris Thompson deserves all the credit for this. Perine is nothing to shake a stick at. He has no vision, no cutback, no speed. His hands are slowly turning to stone. 

Rob Kelley has not been on the field enough to really garner any of this attention either. 

Should have inquired about Peterson when we had the chance. 

If we are able to trade back in 2018 draft, take a RB with the extra pick. 

Perine is still developing as I’ve explained in multiple threads in college he took all of his handoffs out of shotgun. He’s learning and developing patience when he’s getting a handoff from when Kirk is under center.

He doesn’t have hands of stone either, he had two nice receptions on Sunday, One was a really nice TD reception where he was Kirk’s 5th option.

At this point I’m inclined to say we need to draft a RB high in the draft but we still have to see this season play out and see if Perine develops more and shows that he could become our answer at rb.

17 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

Very misleading stat. They ran all over the Rams and exactly nobody else since. Lets wait til Rob Kelley gets back before we really know how this team can run the ball.

We've rushed for over 100 yards in every game but the Eagles game and last game but we did have 94 yards vs San Fran. Of course, Kirk has helped as well with 103 rushing yards and a TD on the year.

On 10/17/2017 at 8:56 AM, MikeT14 said:

I'd be curious to see the following stats where we rank: rushes over 5+ yards, rushes over 10+ yards, 3rd and short rushing conversions, etc. 

Don't know if there is somewhere that has 5+ or 10+ breakdowns, but at 20+ yards, we only have 2, which ties us with Tampa Bay for 25th in the league.

As for 3rd down, I do have something for that from Football Outsiders, but it's a bit fractured.

First, DVOA based on down and distance:

• 3rd & short DVOA:  +5.4% (16th)
  • 3rd & mid DVOA:   -72.7% (30th)
  • 3rd & long DVOA:  +231.% (1st)
  • 3rd down overall: 10.5% (12th)

They also have DVOA by type of play:

• 3rd/4th down by pass: +27.6% (6th)
  • 3rd/4th down by rush: -29.5% (29th)

So, in general, we can say we are not all that good at rushing on third downs.

20 hours ago, Woz said:

Don't know if there is somewhere that has 5+ or 10+ breakdowns, but at 20+ yards, we only have 2, which ties us with Tampa Bay for 25th in the league.

As for 3rd down, I do have something for that from Football Outsiders, but it's a bit fractured.

First, DVOA based on down and distance:

• 3rd & short DVOA:  +5.4% (16th)
  • 3rd & mid DVOA:   -72.7% (30th)
  • 3rd & long DVOA:  +231.% (1st)
  • 3rd down overall: 10.5% (12th)

They also have DVOA by type of play:

• 3rd/4th down by pass: +27.6% (6th)
  • 3rd/4th down by rush: -29.5% (29th)

So, in general, we can say we are not all that good at rushing on third downs.

We thats surely a mixed bag. 3rd & medium surely needs to get better and we also need to get better on 3rd/4th down against the rush.

Archived