Browns sign DL Malik Jackson

JoshBooty

On 3/20/2021 at 12:40 AM, TeHDruiD said:

I have a weird gut feeling that we went hard in FA on defense to go hard on offense in the draft. I understand that the defense was bad but just an odd feeling I have that these guys decide to attack the offense in the draft. Outside of Odell (if he's still here) we lack explosion at WR

My draft prediction: 

1 Edge, 1 DL, 1 CB, 1 SAF/Slot, 1 WR, 1 OL

10 hours ago, buno67 said:

I believe they will go hard on defense and that is by drafting defensive guys with their first two picks. I will be pissed if they draft a WR with their 1st pick. Not gonna be happy drafting a guy who would be the 4th WR and the 5-6th offensive weapon.

I think if they take one round one it has nothing to do with this season, but rather perhaps an indication that they don’t expect OBJ and/or Landry to be here long term (or really after this season) and saw and INCREDIBLE value.  It’s more for years 2-5 on that rookie deal than year 1.

That said, I’d be pretty surprised if they went WR that early.  I think it’s almost a certainty it will be a defender, and it could be any position other than probably S.

Not drafting a RB/QB/OL with those first two picks because they wouldnt be back ups. They could easily draft a starting DE/LB/DB with their first 2 picks.

I think a WR comes into play on day 2 and it’s the only position on offense that makes sense before day 3.

I think they went hard on defense with FA because the defensive talent was just that bad!

It really was.  We signed 4 starters in FA, but really only two are significant.  Johnson transforms the safety group and Hill looks like an upgrade at CB, but Jackson and Walker are just “meh” starters at this point.

There’s still a lot of work to be done on that side of the ball.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think if they take one round one it has nothing to do with this season, but rather perhaps an indication that they don’t expect OBJ and/or Landry to be here long term (or really after this season) and saw and INCREDIBLE value.  It’s more for years 2-5 on that rookie deal than year 1.

That said, I’d be pretty surprised if they went WR that early.  I think it’s almost a certainty it will be a defender, and it could be any position other than probably S.

I think a WR comes into play on day 2 and it’s the only position on offense that makes sense before day 3.

It really was.  We signed 4 starters in FA, but really only two are significant.  Johnson transforms the safety group and Hill looks like an upgrade at CB, but Jackson and Walker are just “meh” starters at this point.

There’s still a lot of work to be done on that side of the ball.

If it’s a thing for next season, I’d draft one next season. I don’t like the idea of drafting a replacement a year before in the 1st unless it’s a QB. Also think the browns could sign decent WR talent if they want to move on from OBJ/Landry

I would have no problem drafting a WR in the 3rd or later. Only way I’m taking a WR in the 1st is of we see the Bama Duo or the LSU WR fall, which I don’t see happening.

i kinda disagree with Walker. I think Jackson was a cheap vet that we might get one more season out of. Walker is still pretty young and has been a pretty big contributor to one of the best defenses in the league the past few years. I would say Hill and Johnson are the exciting signing, Walker was the solid signing, and Takk and Jackson are the meh/take it or leave it signing. 

taking steps forward, we entered the season last year with 2 guys worth holding onto for a couple years. Now it’s up to 6(Garrett, Ward, Johnson, Hill, Harrison and Taki) hopefully  after next season it’s up to 10-11 with 2 rookies, greedy showing he is healthy and ready, Delpit showing he is healthy and the real deal, and hopefully Takk breaking through and breaking out

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

If it’s a thing for next season, I’d draft one next season. I don’t like the idea of drafting a replacement a year before in the 1st unless it’s a QB.

oh I completely agree, I don’t expect them to draft one on day one, just that I think it’s the only offensive position that’s a possibility and the eventual need is there.

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Also think the browns could sign decent WR talent if they want to move on from OBJ/Landry

I was assuming if they move on from those two, it’s going to be cost related.  They’d want the rookie for the cheap labor.

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

I would have no problem drafting a WR in the 3rd or later. Only way I’m taking a WR in the 1st is of we see the Bama Duo or the LSU WR fall, which I don’t see happening.

This is essentially the situation I’m referring to. Should a guy they view as a top 10 player on their board fall and he’s graded out significantly higher than the other options I think it’s possible

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

i kinda disagree with Walker. I think Jackson was a cheap vet that we might get one more season out of. Walker is still pretty young and has been a pretty big contributor to one of the best defenses in the league the past few years. I would say Hill and Johnson are the exciting signing, Walker was the solid signing, and Takk and Jackson are the meh/take it or leave it signing. 

Yeah he’s not bad but he’s clearly a 2 down run stuffer.  Indy fans seemed to like him, but they’ve been almost unanimous in saying his coverage ability is suspect.

I think he’s similar to BJ Goodson tbh, and that not a bad thing.  Goodson was, at least by my eye, our best and most consistent LB last season.  Walker is likely a slight upgrade.