Bears sign Marquise Goodwin

beardown3231

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

'm not convinced that Nagy, Lazor, and DeFilipo can't groom a young quarterback. I put Mitch's failure squarely on Mitch. 

You have far more faith in them that I do.

Media types seem to be honing in on the #10 pick which is Dallas' at the moment.  Word is Jones wants Pitts and if he doesn't fall to them he's willing to look at trades.  I really can't make heads nor tails out of who comes after Lawrence and Wilson and even the gurus keeps shuffling the deck on Fields, Jones, and Lance. 

To me Jones appears to be the best fit now but may have the lowest ceiling.  If so I'm good with that because he may also have the highest floor.  Fields could be another Watson or just a Teddy Bridgewater and Lance is a kid whom I think will need a whole lot of work to excel in Nagy's kind of scheme. They all have risks or limitations.

While I'd probably be happiest with Jones overall I'm still of the belief Pace should draft a replacement for Fuller and an OT which may work out better if he trades down rather than up.  But as I said, I'm the height of apathy right now.  I can't get excited about a team that's far short of the talent they need to be championship material.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, WindyCity said:

As a number 3 or 4 he is. He has been productive over the last 4 years and has an insane YPC.

He's been productive the last 4 years? He was good in 2017. In 2018 and 2019, he combined to catch 30 passes. He sat out last year.

He's a nobody.

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Do you think most #3 and #4 WRs on teams are somebodies?

Most? No

I just figured after 7 Pace offseasons and many cracks at the WR position he wouldn't have left the cupboard so bare

But we're Bears fans, so fast WR's who otherwise blow excite us

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Most? No

I just figured after 7 Pace offseasons and many cracks at the WR position he wouldn't have left the cupboard so bare

He is the #3 and likely to get sub 50 targets.

Relax.

He is better than our current #3 and actually has an elite tool to work with.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Most? No

Dude do you come on here and post just to be a negative Sally all the time?

Who dod you really expect them to sign at the 3/4 WR spot at this point in the offseason on a shoestring budget?

It's a decent and cheap depth move for a team sorely lacking elite speed on offense

Doesn't mean they can't or won't improve the rest of the WR depth chart in the draft.

As of now ARob, Mooney, Goodwin, Miller is a pretty good WR group..if they add another high end playmaker in the draft to perhaps replace Miller or light a fire under his *** and then what more can you really ask for?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Dude do you come on here and post just to be a negative Sally all the time?

Who dod you really expect them to sign at the 3/4 WR spot at this point in the offseason on a shoestring budget?

It's a decent and cheap depth move for a team sorely lacking elite speed on offense

Doesn't mean they can't or won't improve the rest of the WR depth chart in the draft.

As of now ARob, Mooney, Goodwin, Miller is a pretty good WR group..if they add another high end playmaker in the draft to perhaps replace Miller or light a fire under his *** and then what more can you really ask for?

I'm not really asking for anything. I think Goodwin sucks. Most guys who sign this late suck. I just love how in the spring no matter who the Bears sign fans get super optimistic& by November we can't wait to watch that guy get released in January. I'm tired of being optimistic. The Bears mostly suck and I'm not complimenting them for these goofy, irrelevant moves. I used to see the good in everything they did and now I just expect the worse (especially for a guy with 30 catches in the last 3 calendar years).

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm not really asking for anything. I think Goodwin sucks. Most guys who sign this late suck. I just love how in the spring no matter who the Bears sign fans get super optimistic& by November we can't wait to watch that guy get released in January. I'm tired of being optimistic. The Bears mostly suck and I'm not complimenting them for these goofy, irrelevant moves. I used to see the good in everything they did and now I just expect the worse (especially for a guy with 30 catches in the last 3 calendar years).

Not saying you that you have to like the move but he's played about 20 games in the past 3 years and a lot of that can be attributed to opting out last season due to covid so you're reasoning for downgrading the move kind of sucks

5 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Who do you really expect them to sign at the 3/4 WR spot at this point in the offseason on a shoestring budget?

Inexpensive depth with a hope he can replace Miller is exactly what Goodwin represents.  He was signed to fill a specific role in the offense no one else has the speed to fill.  Just one more sprocket in the offensive and ST machine.

Miller isn't exactly slow but he has been incredibly undisciplined at times which often negated whatever speed he does have.  We might also ask about a few of the deep streaking route overthrows to him whether or not he simply doesn't have the deep speed to successfully run those routes and get a completion and/or a TD.  Mitch got blamed for them but was it all on Mitch or did Miller's inabilities contribute as well?

Goodwin is a third tier UFA signing or in other words he's the equivalent of a 5th or 6th round draft pick.  How excited do we get about those on draft weekend?

But we've also seen how late round picks can rise to be key core players in an offense or a defense.

They aren't "face of the franchise" guys but many who are drafted late have roles to play on ST and as quality depth.  How 'bout DeAndre Houston-Carson?  A 6th round pick whose become a standout ST guy and in 2020 showed proven quality depth making two game changing impact plays to help preserve wins.  It's the footsoldiers and sergeants who actually fight the wars not the generals.