Final Mock 2021

Madmike90

I am going to do my final mock of the year without drafting a QB…I just feel getting one of the top 5 guys would be too costly when we have other holes on the roster and don’t have enough trust in any of the 2nd tier guys to come in and beat out Dalton…I also think it means if we have a poor season then the next GM & HC will feel handcuffed to that QB which would be a really poor start to a new regime so instead I have gone for players I feel have the versatility to play in most schemes.

Draft…

Bears trade #20 to Browns for #26 & #89…the Browns will want to find the last few missing pieces to finally win the AFC North this season…we gain a bit more flexibility by moving down a little and picking up the 3rd round pick.

Round 1 (#26)… 

Elijah_Moore_cred_Ole_Miss_Athletics_t67

WR…Elijah Moore…5-9” 178lbs…Ole Miss…

When Matt Nagy was hired it was obvious it was to try and recreate the type of explosive offence he was part of in KC…we have failed to do that in part because we have been unable to find enough weapons who can take the ball 5 yards down the field and turn it into a 50 yard gain…Robinson is a quality WR but he is more of a possession guy…Mooney had an excellent rookie year given his draft position and showed real promise to develop into a viable #2/3 option in the passing game however what we don’t have is that special player who can scare defences wherever he lines up…Moore is that guy…some will look at the 4.35 speed and try to compare him to one of the deep threats in the NFL like Tyreek Hill…truth be told every time I have watched him I see one guy and only one guy…Steve Smith…Moore is so tough and plays way bigger than his size…he will make tough contested catches over the middle and make something out of nothing when running shorter routes…his route running is excellent showing sharp movements in and out of his breaks…he has quality hands and won’t have any drop issues at the next level…for me Moore can be an excellent addition to Robinson & Mooney on the outside.

Round 2 (#52)…  

14937309.jpeg

OT…Sam Cosmi…6-6” 315lbs…Texas…

After finding a new weapon for Dalton it’s time to give him some improved protection…there are a ton of options at OT in the late 1st to 2nd round range…here I am predicting Cosmi is the one who falls a little just due to that depth and the fact that his pass pro will require work at the next level…some of that is down to the fact that Texas just didn’t ask him to do much as everything seemed to work off the run/play action game…when he was asked to deep set there were some issues with technique but those are the reason his is a 2nd round pick and not a top 10 guy because there is a lot to work with here…Cosmi has prototype size for the position and brings unique athletic ability with a 4.84 forty, 30” vertical and 36 reps on the bench…where as Cosmi needs to work to use those traits better in pass pro his ability as a run blocker is outstanding…when zone blocking Cosmi is able to reach the 2nd level with easy and plays with a nasty enough streak to take guys completely out the game…his size, athletic ability and demeanour reminds me a lot of Kyle Long…risk/reward type of pick but if it pays off we could have an elite LT for the next 10 years.

This move also allows us to cut Charles Leno in order to get some cap relief if needed.

Round 3 (#84)…

Robert-Rochell.jpg

CB…Robert Rochell…6-0” 190lbs…Central Arkansas…

After the frankly insane decision to release Kyle Fuller we must find a new talent at CB…throwing guys like Tabor, Robinson, Trufant and the guy who right now is probably the front runner Artie Burns just isn’t going to cut it as a #2 CB…so what do we need? Well Johnson shares a lot of the same traits Kyle Fuller did in terms of size, technique, toughness and instincts…what both lack is out and out athleticism…Rochell certainly doesn’t lack in that area as he is an elite athlete running in the high 4.3s to low 4.4s…he has a 43’1/2” vertical and an 11’1” broad jump…that in a package of prototype size and exceptional length with near 32’1/2” arms and Rochell knows how to use that length coming away with 11 INTs over the past two seasons and that with apposing QBs trying to stay away from him…against the run Rochell doesn’t offer anything like as much as Fuller did playing with far less aggression but he has the frame to become better if he takes the coaching on his technique and starts to bring his feet through the hit…that will be the big knock on Rochell along with the obvious level of competition questions but as many smaller school CB prospects have shown it is one position where guys can step up…a bit like Kindle Vildor showed as the season went on last year.

Round 3 (#89)…

Divine-Deablo-960x640.jpg

S…Divine Deablo II…6-3” 225lbs…Virginia Tech…

At some point we have to sign or draft a safety to get the best out of Eddie Jackson right? Right? Since Amos left all we have done is bring in guys who are better suited as combo or even flat out free safeties…we spent a ton of money to resign the best centrefield safety in football and now we ask him to play closer to the line of scrummage than ever before…Desai needs to change that and get him as far away from the box as possible…let Jackson do what he does best…to do that we need to bring in true competition for Gipson…Deablo is exactly the type of in the box safety we need for this defence…he can take on TEs in the running game as well as cover them in the passing game due to his size and athletic ability…he is so big he could even play as a nickel lineback down the line and if he doesn’t crack the starting lineup early he would be an exceptional special teamer.

Bears trade WR Anthony Miller to Philly for #150…Philly are short on playmakers and the best thing for Miller would be to get a fresh start…5th round value is about the right value for the potential.

Round 5 (#150)…

Jonathan-Marshall.jpg

DL…Jonathan Marshall…6-3” 310lbs…Arkansas…

The DL is much in need of an infusion of youth and depth…Goldman coming back is clearly a massive plus point for this DL as he is excellent on the nose for us…Nichols really came along well last season and looks like a quality starter moving forward…Edwards plays his role well and clearly they have some hopes for Blackson but I doubt he is a long term starter…that leave Hicks who was given permission to seek a trade this offseason and is getting older & more injury prone…take him out that DL and suddenly there are even more question marks…Marshall isn’t a house hold name in his draft and is flying under the radar but I reckon coaches are going to love him…Marshall brings quality size to the DE position but can also play DT in the nickel and not be an easy target of running plays…his athletic upside is clear running a 4.77 forty, a 32” vertical & 36 reps on the bench press…on tape Marshall shows an explosive first step and looks to shoot the gaps against the run…that is where he shows his value as the reason he won’t go higher is that he isn’t going to stand up to double teams…he is in a lot of ways similar to Mario Edwards when he plays the run…as a pass rusher he is very fluid for a guy who mostly plays DT for Arkansas and would easily be able to hand the move to a 3 man front where he would bring the athletic ability to work with OLBs on stunts and twists…really nice rotational piece for our DL.

Round 5 (#164)…

Barnes_Derrick_2_.jpg?resize=1000,600&ss

ILB…Derrick Barnes…6-0” 238lbs…Purdue…

Roquan Smith continued to excel last season and is an out and out star on this defence…outside of him returning fully healthy there are a number of question marks…Danny T is a ticking timebomb in terms of health and he is clearly slowing down…Jones & Iggy are replacement level talents who are core special teamers more than anything else…so finding a new talent who could develop into a starter is a much bigger need than most will think…I have been late to the party on Barnes but man is the dude fast, aggressive and active at the linebacker level…Barnes is a three year starter who has experience at inside, outside linebacker and despite his short stature defensive end…Barnes uses that knowledge and his exceptional length to attack the blockers at the LOS and disengages before making players…here he could be the perfect foil for Roquan who could run three with Barnes doing the dirtier work…I really think he could be a quality development player for this front seven.

Round 6 (#204)… 

5bf0bbf9bf31e.image.jpg?resize=1200,878

RB…Elijah Mitchell…5-10” 210lbs…Louisiana-Monroe…

Our running game really picked up towards the end of last year with Montgomery really picking up after the bye week…that said it is clear we need to continue to improve in terms of quality depth…Cohen coming back obviously helps as does the fact we signed Williams but I still think we should look to bring in competition at the RB spot…Mitchell is an excellent back who shares a lot of the same traits as Montgomery and Williams in that they are around the same size, fit the same schemes, have diverse skill sets which allow them to catch the ball as effectively as they run it and Mitchell brings some upside in the return game as well…adding a RB in the later rounds is always a solid idea.

Round 6 (#208)…

1303369873.jpg

C…David Moore…6-1” 330lbs…Grambling State…

You can never develop enough quality talent in the trenches in the NFL especially if you can find trait guys late on…Moore is just that…forget the height because Moore has arms over 34” so his length on the inside is more than enough…Moore is a nasty strong intimidating presence and even tho he is playing at a lower level his power is easy to see on film…he is not just going to be able to throw around future gym teachers but pros as well…that is of course if he can clean up his hand placement and overall technique which without doubt is still in need of some real development but as a big, athletic, strong ox who in 2 or 3 years could develop into a starter he is well worth this pick.

Round 6 (#221)…

5dddc697d7cbb.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

WR...Seth Williams...6-3" 210lbs...Auburn...

We double down on wide receiver in this draft following the trade of Miller…here we go and try and find a bigger weapon who can hopefully help us down in the redzone…Williams has a shot to be a better pro than he was college players…Auburn had a lot of upheaval and changes during his time but getting him into a consistent scheme would help him a lot…the physical traits are there but Williams need to show he wants it more…boom or bust pick this one.

Round 6 (#228)…

a875fc49912f4fdf86d284ed4d23783d

TE…Dylan Soehner…6-6” 273lbs…Iowa State…

As I said previously the running game came along well last year and a lot of that improvement was due to edge blocking…Kmet came on well towards the back end of last year but for us to be able to use him more in the passing game from a U perspective we have to find a true blocking TE since Graham isn’t that guy…Soehner will offer us very little in the passing game but at Iowa State he allowed their two quality pass catching TEs to excel while he did the dirty work in the trenches…that would be his exact role here and one he would take on like a small 3rd tackle.

Depth Chart…

QB…Andy Dalton…Nick Foles

RB…David Montgomery…Tarik Cohen…Elijah Mitchell…Damien Williams

FB…J.P Holtz

WR…Allen Robinson…Javon Wims

WR…Darnell Mooney…Seth Williams

WR…Elijah Moore…Riley Ridley

TE…Jimmy Graham...Cole Kmet…Dylan Soehner

LT…Sam Cosmi…Elijah Wilkinson

LG…James Daniels…Alex Bars

C…Sam Mustipher…David Moore

RG…Cody Whitehair

RT…Germain Ifedi

LE…Akiem Hicks…Jonathan Marshall

NT…Eddie Goldman…Angelo Blackson

RE…Bilal Nichols…Mario Edwards Jr.

LOLB…Khalil Mack…Trevis Gipson

ILB…Roquan Smith…Derrick Barnes

ILB…Danny Trevathan…Christian Jones…Joel Iyiegbuniwe                             

ROLB…Robert Quinn…Jeremiah Attaochu

NB…Kindle Vildor…Duke Shelley                

CB…Jaylon Johnson…Artie Burns

CB…Robert Rochell…Desmond Trufant

SS…Tashuan Gipson…Divine Deablo II

FS…Eddie Jackson…Deon Bush…Deandre Houston-Carson                   

P…Pat O’Donnell

K…Cairo Santos

LS…Patrick Scales

I like the first two picks a lot but C'mon man gotta give us a QB at some point. I find it extremely unlikely that they won't take one at some point 

I don't care if Nagy & Pace are both gone next year..I still want a young guy there because you just never know and do we really want to see Foles play again if Dalton were to miss time? I already know the answer to that.

I don't care if they draft Ian Book ff sake ...I just want a damn QB lol

7 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I like the first two picks a lot but C'mon man gotta give us a QB at some point. I find it extremely unlikely that they won't take one at some point 

I don't care if Nagy & Pace are both gone next year..I still want a young guy there because you just never know and do we really want to see Foles play again if Dalton were to miss time? I already know the answer to that.

I don't care if they draft Ian Book ff sake ...I just want a damn QB lol

I just can't bring myself to waste a draft pick on a guy I don't believe will ever play a significant down in the NFL...those 2nd tier guys just do nothing for me in terms of helping us win long term.

22 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I have them taking Rochell and Marshall in my mock too :)

Williams was once upon a time thought of as a great prospect. Taking a flier on him in the 6th is genius

For me that is the only thing to do with late round pick...Shaun Wade is another guy I would love to take a flier on.

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I just can't bring myself to waste a draft pick on a guy I don't believe will ever play a significant down in the NFL...those 2nd tier guys just do nothing for me in terms of helping us win long term.

You have to swing. It might be a low probability of landing a Dak Prescott, but 1% is higher than 0%.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You have to swing. It might be a low probability of landing a Dak Prescott, but 1% is higher than 0%.

You don't have to swing in every draft...the 2nd tier guys in the draft just don't fill me with hope at all.

6 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

You don't have to swing in every draft...the 2nd tier guys in the draft just don't fill me with hope at all.

The thing is Bears rarely ever take swings at the QB position in the draft. Ever think maybe that's why they can never get it figured out...aside from picking the wrong guys when they do of course... 

Just now, topwop1 said:

The thing is Bears rarely ever take swings at the QB position in the draft. Ever think maybe that's why they can never get it figured out...aside from picking the wrong guys when they do of course... 

I just think it is easy to take swings when you have plenty of talent...right now we have some real holes and I just can't see how Pace or Nagy unless they can go and get an elite talent who they expect to win the starting job can justify taking someone to sit on the bench for a year...especially considering they won't be here if things continue the way they have been.

10 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

They do in this one. They have drafted 1 QB in 6 years. They are paying for that now.

Dalton and Foles, you aren’t competing or developing. You are just wasting time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

I just think it is easy to take swings when you have plenty of talent...right now we have some real holes and I just can't see how Pace or Nagy unless they can go and get an elite talent who they expect to win the starting job can justify taking someone to sit on the bench for a year...especially considering they won't be here if things continue the way they have been.

Most of the day 3 picks will likely sit on the bench. 

Taking a QB is insurance. No one wants to buy insurance, but you do, because you don’t want to accept the risk.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

They do in this one. They have drafted 1 QB in 6 years. They are paying for that now.

Dalton and Foles, you aren’t competing or developing. You are just wasting time.

You are not wasting time putting the right pieces in place for a young QB to succeed...this idea of just parachuting a young QB into this franchise and all being right again is far wide of the mark.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Most of the day 3 picks will likely sit on the bench. 

Taking a QB is insurance. No one wants to buy insurance, but you do, because you don’t want to accept the risk.

Most of those guys will still play a role...at the very least they play special teams...a QB isn't.

31 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

You are not wasting time putting the right pieces in place for a young QB to succeed...this idea of just parachuting a young QB into this franchise and all being right again is far wide of the mark.

This team isn’t that bad.

A talented rookie QB can be successful in this situation.

32 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Most of those guys will still play a role...at the very least they play special teams...a QB isn't.

A special teams player isn’t worth a shot at QB.

It doesn’t matter how good are special teams are because Andy Dalton is a bottom 10 starting QB.

• Like 1