FF's FIRST 2022 NFL Mock Draft

CWood21

On 5/2/2021 at 8:56 PM, badgers0821 said:

For Green Bay, personally, I'd like to see them go OT or DL in the first. Of course that all depends on who's available but it's been a while (Kenny Clark in 2016) since they have put high draft capital into those positions.

I have liked the idea of another good DL alongside Kenny Clark for years (so do many Packers fans), but I will say that in the last few weeks the Packers long-time whipping boy, Dean Lowry, has certainly upped his game. Also we have yet to see what T.J. Slaton can do. We could still do with another DL to replace Kingsley Keke (though it looks like 2022 is another poor year for drafting that position). 

I don't see a big need for an OT at this time. Turner is playing very well at RT, Elgton Jenkins can fill in at a high level at tackle and Bakhtiari is back soon and is the best pass protector out there.

The guy @CWood21 projected the Packers to pick (Edge rusher Karlaftis) is typical of the bigger-bodied edge guys the Packers like. He has everything you want and a motor you can't teach - I don't expect him to be available where the Packers usually pick, late in a round, (I expect him to be gone before pick 15), but they might have gained earlier picks to snag him (see below*). Since Z.Smith is more than likely to not be retained (due partly to salary cap troubles and partly because of a chronic bad back) this makes total sense..........and the first round is usually where you get the good pass rushers. Karlaftis and Rashan Gary and Preston Smith would make a very good rushing unit.

With QB Aaron Rodgers very likely gone and WR Davante Adams too, a WR early is highly likely, as is another CB (the Packers do like to pick up DBs).

*Bear in mind that the Packers could earn extra first round picks and maybe 2nds for Rodgers (maybe for Davante as well if they tag and trade), so what picks they actually end up sitting on come draft day, is impossible to predict at this time.

Edge, WR, CB is certainly possible with their first three picks (wherever they may be), with DL in play if a decent one falls to one of the Packers early picks, it all depends on who is available when the picks roll around.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

On 10/25/2021 at 9:15 AM, OneTwoSixFive said:

I have liked the idea of another good DL alongside Kenny Clark for years (so do many Packers fans), but I will say that in the last few weeks the Packers long-time whipping boy, Dean Lowry, has certainly upped his game. Also we have yet to see what T.J. Slaton can do. We could still do with another DL to replace Kingsley Keke (though it looks like 2022 is another poor year for drafting that position). 

I don't see a big need for an OT at this time. Turner is playing very well at RT, Elgton Jenkins can fill in at a high level at tackle and Bakhtiari is back soon and is the best pass protector out there.

The guy @CWood21 projected the Packers to pick (Edge rusher Karlaftis) is typical of the bigger-bodied edge guys the Packers like. He has everything you want and a motor you can't teach - I don't expect him to be available where the Packers usually pick, late in a round, (I expect him to be gone before pick 15), but they might have gained earlier picks to snag him (see below*). Since Z.Smith is more than likely to not be retained (due partly to salary cap troubles and partly because of a chronic bad back) this makes total sense..........and the first round is usually where you get the good pass rushers. Karlaftis and Rashan Gary and Preston Smith would make a very good rushing unit.

With QB Aaron Rodgers very likely gone and WR Davante Adams too, a WR early is highly likely, as is another CB (the Packers do like to pick up DBs).

*Bear in mind that the Packers could earn extra first round picks and maybe 2nds for Rodgers (maybe for Davante as well if they tag and trade), so what picks they actually end up sitting on come draft day, is impossible to predict at this time.

Edge, WR, CB is certainly possible with their first three picks (wherever they may be), with DL in play if a decent one falls to one of the Packers early picks, it all depends on who is available when the picks roll around.

Man, if all the things you mentioned happened that would be really ****ty for the Packers. They 100% need to keep Rodgers and Adams at this point. The brass needs to realize they ****ed up, trade Love and give Rodgers what he needs to retire as a single team player. They need to just keep kicking the can down the road as far as salary cap issues are concerned. 

And not to sound like a broken Packer fan record but the likelihood of them drafting a WR in the 1st is very low.

3 hours ago, badgers0821 said:

Man, if all the things you mentioned happened that would be really ****ty for the Packers. They 100% need to keep Rodgers and Adams at this point. The brass needs to realize they ****ed up, trade Love and give Rodgers what he needs to retire as a single team player. They need to just keep kicking the can down the road as far as salary cap issues are concerned. 

And not to sound like a broken Packer fan record but the likelihood of them drafting a WR in the 1st is very low.

The salary cap for 2022 is almost $50m over the cap after Rodgers restructure.  

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/30/packers-now-almost-50m-over-salary-cap-in-2022-after-aaron-rodgers-restructure/

How do you get far enough below the cap to afford to get players in 2022 (not to mention the draft picks and UDFAs) ? Something has to give. If you keep Rodgers and Adams their annual cost is in the region of $60m for the pair. You can backload their contracts with huge signing bonuses, but that just makes the problem worse down the road. You can probably add Z.Smith to the losses the Packers endure, as well. The Packers have always been a team that considers the future as much as the present, so the current situation is an anomaly for them, caused by the covid knock-on effect.

To keep Rodgers and Adams together at the Packers means losing guys like Bakhtiari, Alexander, Clark, Jenkins, Gary - they will become unaffordable. Since I don't believe for a minute the front office plan to do that, then the loss of Rodgers and probably Adams and Z.Smith as well, becomes the most likely way to solve the cap debt, due to how much money each of them makes. I doubt there are many fans that WANT to see them go to another team (I sure don't), but this is how you balance the books. 

The Packers may sink into a middle of the road or worse team, without them..............and they might not, no-one knows.

Whatever the future holds for the Packers, I think it includes a huge shift in the team-dynamic next year. I expect them to have several extra high draft picks for a year or two (Rodgers trade and maybe Adams tag and trade) leading to an influx of high quality potential talent. So much will depend on the ability of our GM to make the best use of those picks to find prospects that develop well and become a core part of the team. There will also be plenty of expectation on the shoulders of Jordan Love and we don't really know what we have there, yet. 2022 is definitely NOT the year when you sail on with much the same guys as you had last year. It's upheaval time, so get that leather strap to bite on when the fireworks happen at the end of this year, it probably will be painful.

As for not getting a WR in round 1, why not ? I don't believe for one second the Packers have a 'rule' to avoid WRs in round one, it's just how things have turned out. If a WR is the best value there, that's what they will do. As I said before, I'd look for a pass rusher with the first pick, but everything will depend on which picks they have in the next draft and who is the best value then. Other positions might include (as I mentioned in my previous post) WR and CB, but maybe it's the year when a first is spent on a TE* or a DT/E. Lots of options there.

* (not sure there is a worthy first round TE, this year)

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

• 2 weeks later...