2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

Just now, NYRaider said:

He tore his ACL tonight.

I didn't realize that.  I have freaking peacock and didn't get to watch the game.  That sucks.  If he falls, I'd love to have that talent on our team.  Do you think he'll drop?  Or can he still return to school?  What's your take?

Just now, Totty said:

I didn't realize that.  I have freaking peacock and didn't get to watch the game.  That sucks.  If he falls, I'd love to have that talent on our team.  Do you think he'll drop?  Or can he still return to school?  What's your take?

He'll definitely be in the draft this year but I think this definitely pushes him down the board. ACL's typically take 8-9 months to recover from so in theory he could be ready to go by the start of the regular season. Depending on his medicals I'd guess he goes in the late 1st or early 2nd.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

He'll definitely be in the draft this year but I think this definitely pushes him down the board. ACL's typically take 8-9 months to recover from so in theory he could be ready to go by the start of the regular season. Depending on his medicals I'd guess he goes in the late 1st or early 2nd.

Right where we're going to be sitting.  

LB would be my target in the second.  And this draft seems pretty deep at that particular position.  

Just now, Totty said:

Right where we're going to be sitting.  

LB would be my target in the second.  And this draft seems pretty deep at that particular position.  

Yeah, Drake London and Jameson Williams will both probably fall due to injury. 

There are some good LB's in the middle rounds, Chad Muma in the 3rd or Troy Anderson in the 4th would be good value picks. 

14 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Ah ****, more and more kids are gonna sit these bowl games out

I can understand sitting out of a random bowl game but how many guys are going to sit out of the national championship? Williams injury was non-contact, the turf at Lucas Oil is just crap.

8 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I haven't watched much college football this year but Bryce Young won the Heisman? LOL  

It's the Alabama QB Unless Someone Else Makes a Miracle Trophy these days. 

Just wait, next year the Bomb for Bryce calls will be as loud as the Tank for Tua/Lay Down for Lawrence calls. 

Mac Jones has been successful because nobody treated him like a superstar. He had to work for it. And Belichik/McDaniels did everything right by him from coaching to personell to the run heavy games. 

Superstar QBs on star laden teams just don't usually pan out, and I believe it's because they never have to progress. 

Christian Hackenburg was a STUD his first season, and people were talking him up something big. Then he lost Allen Robinson, coasted, never really progressed because everyone just fawned over him. And then things never worked out. 

That's Alabama, imo. The top flight "playmaker" QBs like Tua and Bryce get buoyed by semi-pro O-lines and weaponry, and make their mark playing hero ball disguised as "playmaking". Mac didn't have a special physical trait and people were literally laughing at the prospect of SF taking him. Go figure. 

It's why I wouldn't touch a QB from Ohio St, Clemson, or Alabama these days with the superclasses and NIL's. I probably catch flak for this, but it's why I don't think Trevor Lawrence pans out and this year was a look into his future. Dude got by playing a lot of hero ball and making routine plays surrounded by talent 3 deep that was just plain better than what Clemson's opponents could recruit. Even the playing field, and he was absolutely abysmal. Sure, Jacksonville has issues, but he was objectively worse than Davis Mills, who was in a similarly dismal offense. I think time will ultimately show that Lawrence, like most other "generational prospects", was a product of playing alongside countless 4-5* recruits and being able to rely largely on physical traits more than improving as a QB. Not a huge believer in Fields either. Or Wilson, who I've often pointed out made his mark playing a SunBelt schedule. Mac Jones certainly landed in the best situation of the rookies, but how he plays doesn't rely on being a superstar or magical physical gifts, dude works at the QB grind, not given excuses like he's some proven pro and the rest of the team has to catch up to his unquestionable talent, like so many Lawrence lovers demand. 

Back on target, it's why if we look at a QB this year, I'd probably go with Carson Strong. He checks all of my boxes:

Not surrounded by 5* talent to mask him?

Not a one year wonder?

Improved every year?

Wasn't a D-1 guy playing at a D-2 program and just above everyone else's talent level?

Was a guy who stood out despite the talent around him, not because of the talent around him? Check

Plays QB, not "electrifying playmaker"?

I'm just hoping we're smart enough to not try and replace Carr with some "name" prospect or one year wonder when the time comes.  Our luck, we end up with a Bryce Young and he gets exposed to just be another Tua-like cog from the Alabama wheel. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

It's the Alabama QB Unless Someone Else Makes a Miracle Trophy these days. 

Just wait, next year the Bomb for Bryce calls will be as loud as the Tank for Tua/Lay Down for Lawrence calls. 

Mac Jones has been successful because nobody treated him like a superstar. He had to work for it. And Belichik/McDaniels did everything right by him from coaching to personell to the run heavy games. 

Superstar QBs on star laden teams just don't usually pan out, and I believe it's because they never have to progress. 

Christian Hackenburg was a STUD his first season, and people were talking him up something big. Then he lost Allen Robinson, coasted, never really progressed because everyone just fawned over him. And then things never worked out. 

That's Alabama, imo. The top flight "playmaker" QBs like Tua and Bryce get buoyed by semi-pro O-lines and weaponry, and make their mark playing hero ball disguised as "playmaking". Mac didn't have a special physical trait and people were literally laughing at the prospect of SF taking him. Go figure. 

It's why I wouldn't touch a QB from Ohio St, Clemson, or Alabama these days with the superclasses and NIL's. I probably catch flak for this, but it's why I don't think Trevor Lawrence pans out and this year was a look into his future. Dude got by playing a lot of hero ball and making routine plays surrounded by talent 3 deep that was just plain better than what Clemson's opponents could recruit. Even the playing field, and he was absolutely abysmal. Sure, Jacksonville has issues, but he was objectively worse than Davis Mills, who was in a similarly dismal offense. I think time will ultimately show that Lawrence, like most other "generational prospects", was a product of playing alongside countless 4-5* recruits and being able to rely largely on physical traits more than improving as a QB. Not a huge believer in Fields either. Or Wilson, who I've often pointed out made his mark playing a SunBelt schedule. Mac Jones certainly landed in the best situation of the rookies, but how he plays doesn't rely on being a superstar or magical physical gifts, dude works at the QB grind, not given excuses like he's some proven pro and the rest of the team has to catch up to his unquestionable talent, like so many Lawrence lovers demand. 

Back on target, it's why if we look at a QB this year, I'd probably go with Carson Strong. He checks all of my boxes:

Not surrounded by 5* talent to mask him?

Not a one year wonder?

Improved every year?

Wasn't a D-1 guy playing at a D-2 program and just above everyone else's talent level?

Was a guy who stood out despite the talent around him, not because of the talent around him? Check

Plays QB, not "electrifying playmaker"?

I'm just hoping we're smart enough to not try and replace Carr with some "name" prospect or one year wonder when the time comes.  Our luck, we end up with a Bryce Young and he gets exposed to just be another Tua-like cog from the Alabama wheel. 

Jalen Hurts and Mac Jones are in the playoffs, Tua was nearly in the playoffs too, lol. Bama QB's suck.

17 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Tua just hasn't been able to stay healthy and you're really going to judge Lawrence after this season? lol

Tua, even when healthy, has never lit the world on fire in the NFL.  He was arguably worse this year than his rookie year, and there were legitimate trade talks regarding him despite being a first round pick just a season ago. Dude had his starting job on Sunday because Deshaun Watson couldn't keep his hands to himself, not because he's been any good. 

As for Lawrence, yes, absolutely. He wasn't good. Even accounting for a relative lack of talent around him, he was bad, just a little less bad. Davis Mills was better on similar circumstances. Zach Wilson was better in similar circumstances. Trevor Lawrence played so poorly that only 1 QB has come around in the last two decades and had as bad or worse of a rookie season and eventually made something out of himself. What has Trevor Lawrence actually done to warrant optimism going forward? He has "elite traits"? He has "untapped potential"? He has "the skill set"? "Generational prospect"? Those are subjective terms handed out to virtually every massive bust QB. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Jalen Hurts and Mac Jones are in the playoffs, Tua was nearly in the playoffs too, lol. Bama QB's suck.

6 months ago you argued Jalen Hurts was one of the worst QBs to ever play and couldn't hold a candle to Lamar Jackson as a QB. 

Would you make up your mind already? 

5 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

6 months ago you argued Jalen Hurts was one of the worst QBs to ever play and couldn't hold a candle to Lamar Jackson as a QB. 

Would you make up your mind already? 

He went to Alabama though so is Jalen Hurts good or do all Alabama QB suck and should not be drafted?