2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

15 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He almost always makes it to 86 in both mock draft simulators that I use.

I’m not a big fan of simulators to gauge if guys will be available.  There’s too many quirks with them, but I don’t discredit you using them as a basis for seeing whose realistically available for your mock draft.

It’s very possible he’s there, he’s seems to have fallen a bit lately….. but then again the whole draft stock up and down we see online is an entirely made up concept.  What analysts and anyone with a website thinks of a prospect and changes in their “stock” has absolutely zero effect on that 32 front offices think of the player and how things will Unfold on draft day.

I’m Actually quite curious  your answer, mainly because Mathis or maybe one of the top LBs aside from Llyod, Dean, and Harris would be one of the best picks at 86 we could get. 
So I’d like to pose the question to you again….  

How likely is it that Mathis is available at 86?  

What about Carson Strong?  I’ve seen him falling to our pick online?  Do you think drafting a QB to develop in round 3 is a good or bad idea?  I personally would only do it if I really like the QB.  It just so happens I like Strong.  If you can take Strong at 86, the “good” is that he’s an Viable Backup immediately so for the next 4 years you don’t need to spend several million per year on a QB2 veteran.  Also, he could be groomed to succeed Carr in 3-5 years or traded away at some point for a high draft pick if he plays very well.  The “bad” is that your spending a 3rd, and the highest pick we have, on a player who may never see the field for years.

As for the LBs who could be there at 86:

Would you consider any of these guys if Mathis is gone?

Mumma (likely goes before 86), Chenel (probably goes before 86), Troy Anderson, Channing Tindall, Brandon Smith, Brian Asamoah, and Damone Clark (recently Reported he will be out for entire rookie Season due to surgery/injury)

or Nik Bonnito, Sam Williams, or Amare Barno for 34OLBs.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Travis Jones will be off of the board before Mathis, imo. 

Neil Farrell Jr, Thomas Booker, John Ridgeway, Noah Elliss, MarQuan McCall, Eyioma Uwazurike are all guys later in the draft that seem like good scheme fits.

Really like Booker and Ridgeway in the 3rd/4th.

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

So I’d like to pose the question to you again….  

I think that there's a fairly good chance he makes it down the board to #86. If he's not on the board then I think John Ridgeway would also be a solid pick there and he projects as a day one starter at NT.

3 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

What about Carson Strong?  I’ve seen him falling to our pick online?  Do you think drafting a QB to develop in round 3 is a good or bad idea? 

If we had our first two picks to fill other holes I wouldn't mind taking a flier on a QB in the third round. But I'd prefer to wait on that and bring in a veteran backup this season. If Carr goes down I don't think you want a rookie QB starting and carrying three QB's (assuming we sign a veteran backup) just seems like a waste of a roster spot. I'm also not a huge fan of Strong, dude is a statue in the pocket.

5 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Mumma (likely goes before 86), Chenel (probably goes before 86), Troy Anderson, Channing Tindall, Brandon Smith, Brian Asamoah, and Damone Clark (recently Reported he will be out for entire rookie Season due to surgery/injury)

I'd consider a LB at 86 as well, just depends on who's there. I personally like JoJo Domann, Troy Andersen, and Darrian Beavers. 

5 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Really like Booker and Ridgeway in the 3rd/4th.

I'm honestly hoping that we double dip on DL with our first two picks. Most outlets I've seen have like a 5-6 round grade on Booker and a 3-4 round grade on Ridgeway. 

Ridgeway is one of the guys I'd love though and would fill a major need.

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

Brandon Smith

Smith is a guy that has intrigued me for awhile, I've read both good/bad things and evaluators seem to be pretty split on him. Seems to have all of the physical tools but just hasn't put it all together, I'd like him later in the draft but the third is rich.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I'm honestly hoping that we double dip on DL with our first two picks. Most outlets I've seen have like a 5-6 round grade on Booker and a 3-4 round grade on Ridgeway. 

Ridgeway is one of the guys I'd love though and would fill a major need.

They're sleeping. Both of them are pretty good. This is a really deep IDL class IMO. For the first time in a while.

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

They're sleeping. Both of them are pretty good. This is a really deep IDL class IMO. For the first time in a while.

Yeah there's a bunch of guys that I like after doing more research. 

I'd be happy with either Ridgeway/Mathis in the 3rd and then someone else like Booker or Uwazurike later in the draft. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

What about Carson Strong?  I’ve seen him falling to our pick online?  Do you think drafting a QB to develop in round 3 is a good or bad idea?  I personally would only do it if I really like the QB.  It just so happens I like Strong.  If you can take Strong at 86, the “good” is that he’s an Viable Backup immediately so for the next 4 years you don’t need to spend several million per year on a QB2 veteran.  Also, he could be groomed to succeed Carr in 3-5 years or traded away at some point for a high draft pick if he plays very well.  The “bad” is that your spending a 3rd, and the highest pick we have, on a player who may never see the field for years.

I looked at our 1st as a starter and 2nd as possible rookie starter but probably a year 2 starter. 3rd I felt we could get lucky and find Oline starter but probably depth. 4th/5th depth and anything later for injured players who sit a year or special teamers. 

So now that 86 is our first pick, I'd love a QB to develop behind Carr. Strong would be great as it would generate a little buzz but not threaten Carr while he learns NFL speed. Saves millions by not paying a vet QB and he'd be well versed in the system if needed by that time. If it was between him and Justyn Ross I'm picking the injured WR to develop behind Adams. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Smith is a guy that has intrigued me for awhile, I've read both good/bad things and evaluators seem to be pretty split on him. Seems to have all of the physical tools but just hasn't put it all together, I'd like him later in the draft but the third is rich.

I’d love to get Smith is round 4, it’d be one of my top round to player matches.

34 minutes ago, G said:

So now that 86 is our first pick, I'd love a QB to develop behind Carr. Strong would be great as it would generate a little buzz but not threaten Carr while he learns NFL speed. Saves millions by not paying a vet QB and he'd be well versed in the system if needed by that time. If it was between him and Justyn Ross I'm picking the injured WR to develop behind Adams. 

If Carr goes down you feel comfortable with Strong starting?

31 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’d love to get Smith is round 4, it’d be one of my top round to player matches.

Smith has the physical tools but his play doesn't always match his ability. Definitely a freak athlete though. What are your thoughts on JoJo Domann?

What do you guys view as our biggest needs entering the draft?

I'd say: 

• RT - I don't view Parker as the long term solution there, who knows with Leatherwood. 

• DT - We need a starting NT and could use edge depth if we're going to be running primarily with 3 down linemen

• Rush OLB - We could still use one more edge rusher 

• CB - Could use another CB for depth purposes 

47 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

What do you guys view as our biggest needs entering the draft?

RT, G, SS, RB, DT

RT is the obvious one. 

G is sort of in flux for us. There's ok potential, but we are extremely shallow. 

SS I don't want to see anymore of Abram. None. I hope he's gone. Thankfully, we brought in some competition already.

RB On paper Jacobs, Drake, Bolden, Ragas, Abdullah looks deep and solid. But one of Bolden/Abdullah probably doesn't make the 53, Ragas is developmental material but nothing more yet, Drake is a ? until we see him in action, and Jacobs is still underwhelming as a feature back imo. I'd take a day 3 flyer and let them battle for a PS spot and potential call up down the road. 

DT We've added bodies, but we've added bodies before. Hopefully someone pans out, but it's likely still a weak link on the D along with Abram. 

I anticipate being able to address at least 2 or even 3 of these via the draft with some quality prospects as is (aka: without a trade). If we could get even just 2 of them, ideally the OL, I think we're in good shape