2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I'm convinced people keep putting Smoke Monday in their mocks simply because of his name. Because if you've ever watched him play, he's basically a poor mans Johnathan Abram.

1/2 is absolutely the name. The other half is he’s become popular in peoples mocks because of his name and that makes other people add him to Theirs.  Not to mention he’s a late round pick so it’s an easier “I’ll take a flier with ____” pick.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Backup QB is still a major hole as well.

Bad one to have too. 

If I were making the decisions, I'd try and sign Fitzpatrick, if healthy, or Andy Dalton with the caveat that they're #3 on the depth chart unless Carr is out and it's playoff time. 

I'd go into the year with Carr/Rookie/Vet FA. If Carr goes down early, give a young guy the chance. Neither a Fitz nor Dalton would take over in a mid year situation and get us into the playoffs and hopefully beyond. I don't think so, at least. Their value would come in if Carr were to go down in the last week or so of the year or in a playoff game, where some previous experience is better than nothing to keep hopes alive. Were he to miss extended time, I think that's a nail in the coffin for 2022 and time to see if we have someone worth keeping around for a bit. 

Hopefully someone gets let go before the regular season that we can nab that might actually have a shot at holding the fort down in Carr's absence, but right now I just don't see any available that fit that bill. 

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

Bad one to have too. 

If I were making the decisions, I'd try and sign Fitzpatrick, if healthy, or Andy Dalton with the caveat that they're #3 on the depth chart unless Carr is out and it's playoff time. 

I'd go into the year with Carr/Rookie/Vet FA. If Carr goes down early, give a young guy the chance. Neither a Fitz nor Dalton would take over in a mid year situation and get us into the playoffs and hopefully beyond. I don't think so, at least. Their value would come in if Carr were to go down in the last week or so of the year or in a playoff game, where some previous experience is better than nothing to keep hopes alive. Were he to miss extended time, I think that's a nail in the coffin for 2022 and time to see if we have someone worth keeping around for a bit. 

Hopefully someone gets let go before the regular season that we can nab that might actually have a shot at holding the fort down in Carr's absence, but right now I just don't see any available that fit that bill. 

Fitzmagic has the ability to rally a team, dude is the best journeyman QB in NFL history. I'm assuming some guys will become available via trade at some point, maybe during the draft/training camp. Joe Flacco and Nick Foles both seem like guys that could potentially get traded. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Fitzmagic has the ability to rally a team, dude is the best journeyman QB in NFL history. I'm assuming some guys will become available via trade at some point, maybe during the draft/training camp. Joe Flacco and Nick Foles both seem like guys that could potentially get traded. 

Any other year, I would be 100% comfortable with him. 

My hesitation is that he's 39, hasn't played in a year, and coming off of a potentially career ending injury. Seems like a ticking time bomb to rely on him for more than a spot start or out of absolute necessity in a playoff scenario. 

6 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

My hesitation is that he's 39, hasn't played in a year, and coming off of a potentially career ending injury. Seems like a ticking time bomb to rely on him for more than a spot start or out of absolute necessity in a playoff scenario. 

That's why we have the goat, Gilbert, lol. But yeah we kind of dropped the ball waiting so long to figure out our backup QB situation. Peterman is still out there at least.

27 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I am there with you.  Have been arguing for him for a few years but he scares me this year.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That's why we have the goat, Gilbert, lol. But yeah we kind of dropped the ball waiting so long to figure out our backup QB situation. Peterman is still out there at least.

Gotta be someone floating around that played in the NFL or something.....right? Lol. 

On that note, just how bad is Josh Rosen? 

Arizona was a dumpster fire, Miami, Tampa, and SF were never realistic spots for playing time, and Atlanta was a dumpster fire. 

Would he be worth some preseason snaps under a QB friendly coach like McDaniels just to kick the tires and see if he's backup caliber? Or has that ship sailed?

5 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I am there with you.  Have been arguing for him for a few years but he scares me this year.

I was big on Alex Smith a couple of years back if we were going to ditch Carr and use a bridge guy. Too bad the injury sapped him. I bet he'd still be worthwhile today if not for it.

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

Gotta be someone floating around that played in the NFL or something.....right? Lol. 

On that note, just how bad is Josh Rosen? 

Arizona was a dumpster fire, Miami, Tampa, and SF were never realistic spots for playing time, and Atlanta was a dumpster fire. 

Would he be worth some preseason snaps under a QB friendly coach like McDaniels just to kick the tires and see if he's backup caliber? Or has that ship sailed?

I think that ship has sailed. One of my good friends was actually in his frat at UCLA and said he is the biggest ****** you will ever meet, lol. I just don't think he cares about football at this point. The Steelers might trade Mason Rudolph if they draft a quarterback early. 

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think that ship has sailed. One of my good friends was actually in his frat at UCLA and said he is the biggest ****** you will ever meet, lol. I just don't think he cares about football at this point. The Steelers might trade Mason Rudolph if they draft a quarterback early. 

Fair. 

I notice Ryan Griffin is apparently still available.  

He's never really played, but his career has been around Brees and Brady and under the Saints offensive brain trust and then Tampa's.  

I seem to recall him showing pretty well in the preseason a few times. Could do a lot worse on a camp arm.