2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

14 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

17 games now and the Raiders will have to score a lot to keep up with the AFC West

I'd guess it's more something like: Adams (1,300), Waller (1,000), Renfrow (750) with Edwards, our RB, and role players all combining for something like 1,400-1,500 yards which would put Carr at around 4,400-4,500 on the season. 

On 3/31/2022 at 1:05 AM, NYRaider said:

Why didn't any of the good teams in the NFL follow this strategy last season?

I’ve been quite sick the last few days and haven’t been posting… anyways….

No teams used this strategy?  Several teams have.  Sure, the majority of teams do not but that is simply because the supply of  3rd and 4th round QBs isn’t that high.  

2021 Draft:

Kellen Mond, 3rd RD, Minnesota.  Mond started the season as the back-up Cousins his rookie year.  Minnesota had Cousins on a short term deal and drafted Mond to serve as the backup for a few years and possibly take over after.  Very similar situation to the Raiders with Carr.  

David Mills, ‘21 3rd, Houston.  Watson was early on in his scandal and they’re were questions if he’d play in Houston next year. Tyrod Taylor was the backup and possibly short term starter, if Watson couldn’t play.

Ian Book, ‘21 4th, NO. Winston was the starter and T.Hill was the backup and gadget player.  NO drafted Book to serve as the backup to whoever was the starter long term.

Jacob Eason, ‘20 4th, Indy.  Rivers was retiring, Brissett was a FA.  Eason fell in the draft and posed a good value.  He would play the role of backup for 1-2 years for whatever veteran (Wentz) they brought in to start and then would be given his opportunity for to start if he was worthy.

James Morgan - ‘20 4th - NYJ.  Morgan was drafted to be the backup to Darold.  I don’t think anyone ever believed Morgan would be anything more then the backup.

Will Grier - ‘19 3rd - Carolina.  Bridgewater was the starter and Grier fell in the draft and posed a good value to serve as the backup short term and potentially the starter in a few years.

Ryan Finley - ‘19 4th - Cincy.  Dalton was the starter and it seemed like he didn’t have many more years left as their starter so they drafted Finley to be the backup and potentially develop into a starter in a few years.  The reality is the likelihood of a mid round QB developing into the starter in years 3-4 is quite low.  More likely then not is their the starter in year 3, the teams drafting high enough to draft their new franchise QB for the next year.  

Jarret Stindham - ‘19 4th - NE -  Brady was the starter and Stindham was drafted to be the backup.   Stindham beat out Hoyer for the backup role and Hoyer was released.

Mason Rudolph - ‘18 3rd - Pitt.  Roethlisberger was nearing the end but had a few years left as the starter.  The team has spent a 4th last year on Dobbs but doubled down to spend a 4th on Rudolph.  Both young QBs would serve as backups and develop for a few years and hopefully take over once Roethlisberger retired.

Kyle Lauletta - ‘18 4th - NYG.  Eli Manning was the starter and the team drafted Lauletta to serve as a backup.  I don’t think anyone though he was the future starter.  The team did this with Davis Webb.

Again…. I don’t even want us to draft Strong in round 3.  I merely brought up the idea to be discussed.  And a few days after I did “Tape Don’t Lie” on YouTube made a video on the matter and at least one Raiders news blog site had an article on the idea.

It’s not this moronic idea that you dismissively make it out to be.  Just because you don’t like Strong or want someone else doesn’t make it not a possibility.  Teams do draft QBs in rounds 3-4 to serve as backups throughout their contract with the hope albeit it being a slim chance that the QB becomes a starter in years 3 or 4.  

I do find it very ironic you want to cut our starting RB to save a measly 2M because “But maybe that $2M in cap savings if we trade Jacobs will push us into Super Bowl contention”…. but are completely dismissive of the advantages of drafting a QB to serve as the backup instead of spending 4+M on a veteran backup.  What’s more important:  starting RB like Josh Jacobs or a backup QB that probably won’t play more then 30 downs all year and If he does have to play several games we’re likely done for anyways.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I do find it very ironic you want to cut our starting RB to save a measly 2M because “But maybe that $2M in cap savings if we trade Jacobs will push us into Super Bowl contention”…. but are completely dismissive of the advantages of drafting a QB to serve as the backup instead of spending 4+M on a veteran backup.  What’s more important:  starting RB like Josh Jacobs or a backup QB that probably won’t play more then 30 downs all year and If he does have to play several games we’re likely done for anyways.

I was mocking posters on here that said they wanted to trade Jacobs for cap purposes, I said there's literally no benefit of trading him, lol.

The Vikings were petrified to play Mond last season and he was a healthy scratch in almost every game. Ian Book was absolutely terrible the one time that he had to play for the Saints. None of the other players you mentioned are even with the teams that drafted them outside of Rudolph and they just paid a free agent and may draft a QB in the 1st round.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I'd guess it's more something like: Adams (1,300), Waller (1,000), Renfrow (750) with Edwards, our RB, and role players all combining for something like 1,400-1,500 yards which would put Carr at around 4,400-4,500 on the season. 

How can you guys think he's going to throw for 400 yd less this then last year??? Carr lost both Ruggs and Waller last year.

21 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

How can you guys think he's going to throw for 400 yd less this then last year??? Carr lost both Ruggs and Waller last year.

Because ideally our run blocking won't be god awful so we'll have a balanced attack, we were 28th in the league in rushing yards last season. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I can see Carr throwing for 285-300ypg on average, which translates over 17 games to 4850-5100 yards.  37-38 attempts/game x 17 games = 629-646 attempts.

22 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I can see Carr throwing for 285-300ypg on average, which translates over 17 games to 4850-5100 yards.  37-38 attempts/game x 17 games = 629-646 attempts.

Carr has only hit over 4,500 once in his career and it was with one of the worst running games in the league out of necessity. 

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

80 Chargers, 89 Redskins, 95 Falcons, 04 Colts, 08 Cardinals

So 2 teams in the last two decades have done it. I'd be shocked if there has ever been a team that had 3 players with 100+ targets in the same season. One of the reasons I can't see Adams/Waller/Renfrow all going for 1k+ is because they all average like 12 ypc. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

So 2 teams in the last two decades have done it. I'd be shocked if there has ever been a team that had 3 players with 100+ targets in the same season. One of the reasons I can't see Adams/Waller/Renfrow all going for 1k+ is because they all average like 12 ypc. 

Yep. 

A few have gotten close with 3 guys going for 900+ (some with 2 1000yds, 1 with 900+, some all 3 under 1000 but over 900, etc) but it's still rare- 7 times total since we did it in 02. 

If we have 3 1000 yard WRs, the blocking was either atrocious or we'll be searching for a couple of RBs early next year lol. 

Also, great as Waller is, 1000 yard seasons for TEs are still fairly rare. The only time a TE was part of a 1000 yard trio was the 80 Chargers- with Kellen Winslow (HoF), Charlie Joiner (HoF), John Jefferson, Dan Fouts (HoF) at QB, and Don Coryell as the HC. 

Naturally, we'd all love nothing more than 3 1000 yard receivers. Heck, maybe Edwards breaks out and we crush the record books with 4 and the first 6000 yard season! 

But let's be honest- Adams should break 1000. Waller or Renfrow might. But both? Nah. 

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Yep. 

A few have gotten close with 3 guys going for 900+ (some with 2 1000yds, 1 with 900+, some all 3 under 1000 but over 900, etc) but it's still rare- 7 times total since we did it in 02. 

If we have 3 1000 yard WRs, the blocking was either atrocious or we'll be searching for a couple of RBs early next year lol. 

Also, great as Waller is, 1000 yard seasons for TEs are still fairly rare. The only time a TE was part of a 1000 yard trio was the 80 Chargers- with Kellen Winslow (HoF), Charlie Joiner (HoF), John Jefferson, Dan Fouts (HoF) at QB, and Don Coryell as the HC. 

Naturally, we'd all love nothing more than 3 1000 yard receivers. Heck, maybe Edwards breaks out and we crush the record books with 4 and the first 6000 yard season! 

But let's be honest- Adams should break 1000. Waller or Renfrow might. But both? Nah. 

I think Waller/Adams should both break 1,000, they're both top 3 players at their position. I love Hunter but last year was an outlier due to increased volume for unforeseen reasons.