2022 Draft Talk

swede700

For CBs in Rd 2 or 3, the guy with everything NFL coaches drool over is Woolen.   Frankly, if Kwesi picks DL in the 1st, I'd be stoked if they traded up for Woolen.    Now, I'll be honest, I've never seen him play but, that length and speed is just not normal.   

I mean really, whens the last time the Vikes drafted some smaller school guy that was abnormal?  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

For CBs in Rd 2 or 3, the guy with everything NFL coaches drool over is Woolen.   Frankly, if Kwesi picks DL in the 1st, I'd be stoked if they traded up for Woolen.    Now, I'll be honest, I've never seen him play but, that length and speed is just not normal.   

I mean really, whens the last time the Vikes drafted some smaller school guy that was abnormal?  

So...you should watch some of his in game reps.

They aren't....very good most of the time lol. But there is a reason for that, he's a WR convert; only been playing CB for like 2 years.

so positives:

1. Insane length (height, wingspan, etc) for the cb position

2. Insane athleticism for the CB position

3. Likes to mix it up in press man a lot

negatives:

1. incredibly raw

2. technique is poor

3. old prospect, will be 23 on may 2nd.

Before the offseason, he was seen more as a 5th round prospect, but senior bowl and combine has pushed him up. Some team will take a flyer on day 2. I am not sure I would want the Vikings too. It's dependent on how patient they are willing to be with him. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2954865-2022-nfl-mock-draft-br-nfl-scouting-depts-predictions-entering-april

4 round mock from some dudes who's analysis I like

Vikings

12 - Stingley - Gardner went 13th, so I don't agree with going Stingley over Gardner - 

46 - S Jalen Pitre - I'm not a huge fan of this pick, especially when going cb already in Rd1. Based off who was available in this draft, I would have gone Boye Mafe

77 - Edge Josh Paschal - I guess nothing wrong with this pick, but based on who was available, would have gone Nik Bonitto, or double dip at cb with Zyon McCollum or Kyler Gordon.

On 3/30/2022 at 1:33 PM, Purplepride323 said:

Derek Stingley Jr. is that guy. I’m sure Jefferson would be jumping on the table to get him. People talk about him only playing in 10 games within the past two seasons but forget that Chase sat out an entire year and still tore up the league. It might actually work in our favor that he missed all that time because if he had stayed healthy and dominated this past year, there would be no chance that he falls out of the top 5. Now we have a chance to take him at 12, which would be a steal in my opinion. 

Derek Stingley is the BEST player in the entire draft.  People need to stop thinking he’s injury prone when they don’t actually understand what his injuries and reasons for not playing were.  He isn’t injury prone by any means and is going to come back better than ever.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 3:44 PM, vike daddy said:

i'm seeing this guy rise in mocks too....

In terms of CB rankings.

Tier 1:

-Derek Stingley

Tier 2:

-Sauce Gardner

Tier 3:

-Andrew Booth

-Trent McDuffie

-Kaiir Elam

-Roger McCreary

Stingley and Sauce are both clearly more talented than any of those tier 3 guys.  I feel like the tier 3 guys are closer to a Mike Hughes/Jeff Gladney type of player.

On 3/30/2022 at 1:02 PM, battle2heaven said:

I'm probably in the minority but I would take him at 12.

From a talent perspective he is definitely worth the 12 pick, but it considering how deep the WR class is this year I wouldn’t take him in the 1st.  There are around 15 WRs that could go in the 1st two rounds this year.  I feel like Derek Stingley, Sauce Gardner, or Jordan Davis would be much more valuable picks in the 1st round for us.  If he falls into the 2nd round then absolutely I would make a move to get him, but I don’t see a reason to take him in the first when we could easily get a guy like Alec Pierce in the 2nd round.  Alec Pierce is probably the most underrated WR in the draft right now.  He’s essentially a faster version of what people want Drake London to be.  Pro comps for Alec Pierce are Jordy Nelson and Eric Decker.

18 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

Derek Stingley is the BEST player in the entire draft.  People need to stop thinking he’s injury prone when they don’t actually understand what his injuries and reasons for not playing were.  He isn’t injury prone by any means and is going to come back better than ever.

Yeah, none of his injuries were related to one another and that’s a plus. Most of the former pros or current players that talk about Stingley say that he’s a generational talent. I think that speaks volumes. Patrick Peterson even said Stingley reminds him of himself. He also spilled the beans a little when he said that he expects the Vikings to go CB early in the draft. I’ve seen a lot of critics say that he’s only played in 10 games within the past two years, but they forget that LSU had a shortened season is 2020 due to Covid. The good thing is that this actually works in our favor, because we might not have to trade up to get him. 

Edited by Purplepride323

On 3/31/2022 at 9:24 AM, battle2heaven said:

Let's talk non first round CBs.

Who are you favorite targets in RD2 and RD3?

I think we all would like a CB round 1, but if the player and value don't meet, I don't see Kwesi reaching. I also think in Donatells scheme, they are valuing length and intelligence on the boundary (athleticism has benchmarks and thresholds, but crazy athleticism isn't required).

I think they have stuffed the cupboard enough for slot corners (Sullivan, Hairston and Hand are probably all better there), so it does seem they need a couple more boundary guys.

RD2

Andrew Booth (would be my dream if he dropped due to his hernia surgery)

Daxton HIll (I'd move him to corner, has boundary traits)

Kaiir Elam

Kyler Gordon

Tariq Woolen

RD3

Alontae Taylor

Martin Emerson

Zyon McCollum

Kalon Barnes

Coby Bryant

Am I missing anyone that anyone else likes in rounds 2/3 that could project to a boundary nfl cb?

I’m not a fan of Tariq Woolen in the 2nd.  He’s a physical freak, but not a very good CB.  He’s super raw and needs time to develop.  After several years of developing he may end up like a Trae Waynes, but I just don’t see it.  His athleticism is worth taking a chance on in the 3rd, but this draft is so deep that we could get much more talented day 1 contributors in the 2nd.

On 4/1/2022 at 7:41 AM, battle2heaven said:

His reps I've seen are pretty clean; the caveat is the lower level of competition from his conference. 

That said, this is the type of player you take flyers on. He's probably a day 2 pick now.

Yeah solid 2nd round pick potentially, dude is very smooth and obviously great athletic ability at that size.  Would love if the Vikings could get him 2nd round and if they can trade up or trade down to get into the bottom of the 1st he could be in play there also.  

27 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

The guy has not been really great since 2019, and he has only played 10 games out of 25 games the last two years.  That is a massive problem and shows the dude has been crazy injured the last few years.  

The guy has not intercepted a pass since December 7th 2019 in the SEC title game where he got two against Georgia.  Ever since then he has been downhill for two years.  So because of that no way I would call him right now the best player in the draft.

Will see how his pro day is assuming he even participates in it which is also a question.  

12 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Yeah, none of his injuries were related to one another and that’s a plus. Most of the former pros or current players that talk about Stingley say that he’s a generational talent. I think that speaks volumes. Patrick Peterson even said Stingley reminds him of himself. He also spilled the beans a little when he said that he expects the Vikings to go CB early in the draft. I’ve seen a lot of critics say that he’s only played in 10 games within the past two years, but they forget that LSU had a shortened season is 2020 due to Covid. The good thing is that this actually works in our favor, because we might not have to trade up to get him. 

Yes.  As a freshman he was already playing with a better technique and positional understanding than any CB in this draft class.  From a physical standpoint he is very similar to Patrick Peterson, Stephon Gilmore, and even Deion Sanders.  The fact that he has sub 4.3 speed brings the Sanders comp even closer.  One thing most people don’t know is that as early as his Sophomore season LSU was already planning on using Stingley as the #1 CB, the starting PR, and a starting WR.  He never ended up playing WR though because of his injury.  He missed the first game of the 2020 season with an illness and then had a major ankle sprain in the first game that he played in 2020.  One of the big knocks I here from people about Stingley is that he is inconsistent or that his play fell off after his freshman year.  Well that is because he sprained his ankle in his first game of the season against Vanderbilt and then continued to start the next 6 weeks with the sprained ankle before ending his season.  In 2021 his play appeared to have fallen off as well because he suffered a lisfranc injury in camp prior to the season even starting.  He still played the first 3 games of the season with that injury before he decided to end his season to prepare for the draft.  He’s not injury prone.  He just had two different unfortunate injuries that both happened very early in his seasons.  Stingley is a HOF caliber prospect and it is hilarious to see people seriously consider taking guys like McDuffie or Booth before him.  Sauce is good too.  I have Nandi Asomugha as his comp, but he’s still not on the same level as Stingley.

10 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

The guy has not been really great since 2019, and he has only played 10 games out of 25 games the last two years.  That is a massive problem and shows the dude has been crazy injured the last few years.  

The guy has not intercepted a pass since December 7th 2019 in the SEC title game where he got two against Georgia.  Ever since then he has been downhill for two years.  So because of that no way I would call him right now the best player in the draft.

Will see how his pro day is assuming he even participates in it which is also a question.  

He hasn’t been “crazy injured”.  He had two lower leg injuries both unfortunately at the start of each season.  It hasn’t been something recurrent that should be worried about.

Part of the reason he didn’t have an interception in the past two seasons was because he played almost every game of the past two seasons injured.  Another reason why he didn’t have any interceptions in his past two years was because teams actively avoided throwing in his direction if they didn’t need to…. Because he is that talented.  In his freshman year he got targeted a crazy amount because everyone wanted to pick on the freshman CB.

In the above post I talked a little bit more about his injuries and why he isn’t injury prone.

5 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

He hasn’t been “crazy injured”.  He had two lower leg injuries both unfortunately at the start of each season.  It hasn’t been something recurrent that should be worried about.

Part of the reason he didn’t have an interception in the past two seasons was because he played almost every game of the past two seasons injured.  Another reason why he didn’t have any interceptions in his past two years was because teams actively avoided throwing in his direction if they didn’t need to…. Because he is that talented.  In his freshman year he got targeted a crazy amount because everyone wanted to pick on the freshman CB.

In the above post I talked a little bit more about his injuries and why he isn’t injury prone.

There is no way his injury issues for two years in a row is something to not be worried about.

Sure the guy as a freshman totally healthy was great but who knows if he will ever get back to that level, sometimes dudes come back different from an injury and until he shows he is athletically elite and stable there will always be that question.  The guy was ok when he even played the last few years but no way was he a dominating player like most thought he could be.

Sure he was great as a freshman because like you said they targeted him and he won a lot of those matchups, but his lack of production the past two years in more than disappointing, and who says these on and off injury issues will not just continue on to the NFL?  

Sure LSU wanted to try him on offense and as a return man that SOPH year and that obviously never happened.  And yeah I would love for him to fall to the Vikings but until he shows at his pro day he is healthy and physically elite I would not touch him yet.  

But sure a lower leg injury is not as concerning as a freaking back injury from a certain someone.  

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Sure the guy as a freshman totally healthy was great but who knows if he will ever get back to that level, sometimes dudes come back different from an injury and until he shows he is athletically elite and stable there will always be that question.  The guy was ok when he even played the last few years but no way was he a dominating player like most thought he could be.

I think you’re blowing it out of proportion a bit….  A sprained ankle is not that serious.  Players come back fully recovered from that all the time.  I think the timing of his injuries were more unfortunate rather than the severity of them.  Since he got hurt so early in the season he was really able to display how good he actually is.  Obviously a CB with a sprained ankle is going to be slightly behind in mirroring a receiver and breaking on plays.  It really isn’t that serious.  He will be fine.

6 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

I think you’re blowing it out of proportion a bit….  A sprained ankle is not that serious.  Players come back fully recovered from that all the time.  I think the timing of his injuries were more unfortunate rather than the severity of them.  Since he got hurt so early in the season he was really able to display how good he actually is.  Obviously a CB with a sprained ankle is going to be slightly behind in mirroring a receiver and breaking on plays.  It really isn’t that serious.  He will be fine.

Sprained ankle?  Bacot on UNC sprained his ankle and is set to play against Kansas in the National Title game, and he visibly rolled it and walked/played on that ankle a few minutes after rolling it against Duke.  Stingley Jr did not just simply sprain his ankle and clearly did not just go back into the game and basically missed the rest of the entire season.

"said Saturday morning he suffered a torn ligament in his left foot -- a Lisfranc injury "

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33428616/cb-derek-stingley-jr-recovering-lisfranc-injury-work-combine

A torn ligament is not a little deal and is not a sprained ankle, and maybe I am blowing it out of proportion but honestly you might be doing the opposite of that.