Position Battles

dll2000

On 7/13/2021 at 7:17 AM, dll2000 said:

I will say I think Daniels may be in more danger than people think he is of losing his job.   Or he should be.   

No one was a bigger fan of the Daniels draft pick than me after watching him at Iowa and I thought he was a future all-pro after his rookie year.   But he has been mostly downhill from there IMO.

I think he is most physically gifted OL on the Bears and has all-pro ability, but he just doesn’t play like it a lot of the time.

It's possible you're right but we should also remember Daniels was a very young rookie still filling out both physically and mentally.

Even now entering his 4th season he's only 23 years old.  He came to camp last year looking very buff and bulked up, began the season as our highest rated OL, then we lost him for the season.  They've also been shifting him back and forth between OG and OC.

It's a contract year so he does need to step up and earn his extension but given his age and his upside I'd take advantage of his value possibly being less now coming off an injury than it might have been had he been a 3 year starter.  He's worth the gamble IMHO.

9 hours ago, soulman said:

It's possible you're right but we should also remember Daniels was a very young rookie still filling out both physically and mentally.

Even now entering his 4th season he's only 23 years old.  He came to camp last year looking very buff and bulked up, began the season as our highest rated OL, then we lost him for the season.  They've also been shifting him back and forth between OG and OC.

It's a contract year so he does need to step up and earn his extension but given his age and his upside I'd take advantage of his value possibly being less now coming off an injury than it might have been had he been a 3 year starter.  He's worth the gamble IMHO.

I went back and watch some of his early series of 2020 where everyone said he was so amazing so I could brag on him.

Instead I found he was doing poorly.  It was an unpleasant surprise.  Maybe I didn't have patience to get to good parts.   I watched like 3-4 series in 3 dif games.  

He did better at 20 and a young 21 than he has done of late.  He is an enigma to me.

Like I said IMO he is most talented OL on the Bears.   But he doesn't often play like it.  He does show flashes.  

Maybe light comes on this year.  

Edited by dll2000
most not more

59 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I went back and watch some of his early series of 2020 where everyone said he was so amazing so I could brag on him.

Instead I found he was doing poorly.  It was an unpleasant surprise.  Maybe I didn't have patience to get to good parts.   I watched like 3-4 series in 3 dif games.  

He did better at 20 and a young 21 than he has done of late.  He is an enigma to me.

Like I said IMO he is most talented OL on the Bears.   But he doesn't often play like it.  He does show flashes.  

Dunno what more to say other than the Bears themselves graded him highest.  Why what you saw doesn't jive with what they saw is an enigma as well.

My own opinion is they need to let the kid settle in at one spot much like they need to do with Whitehair and stop the clown show of playing musical positions with these guys.  If a guy is not playing his best position it only weakens the entire OL and it doesn't help that player grow into his spot like he should be doing.

That said, at his age I would still extend him.  He has a lot of football ahead of him and won't hit his prime for another year or two so whatever were seeing now should only get better.  Judging him too prematurely on the basis of what's been a semi phuc'd up OL situation isn't proper for us or for him.  Let's see how he looks in 2021.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Dunno what more to say other than the Bears themselves graded him highest.  Why what you saw doesn't jive with what they saw is an enigma as well.

My own opinion is they need to let the kid settle in at one spot much like they need to do with Whitehair and stop the clown show of playing musical positions with these guys.  If a guy is not playing his best position it only weakens the entire OL and it doesn't help that player grow into his spot like he should be doing.

That said, at his age I would still extend him.  He has a lot of football ahead of him and won't hit his prime for another year or two so whatever were seeing now should only get better.  Judging him too prematurely on the basis of what's been a semi phuc'd up OL situation isn't proper for us or for him.  Let's see how he looks in 2021.

Where did you find Bears grading their players and putting that out?

15 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Where did you find Bears grading their players and putting that out?

It was in the comments made in a Trib (I think) article last fall.  IIRC something said after he was injured like they would miss him because he was grading out as their top OL.

I just recall thinking it was a shame to lose him when the OL was as unsettled as it was and also so thin on depth.

2 hours ago, soulman said:

It was in the comments made in a Trib (I think) article last fall.  IIRC something said after he was injured like they would miss him because he was grading out as their top OL.

I just recall thinking it was a shame to lose him when the OL was as unsettled as it was and also so thin on depth.

I bet writer was referencing PFF grades.

I have never seen a team offer their own grades on their players to public.  

Who knows if they even do grades.  I am sure they watch tape, but not everybody breaks that into grades or ratings.   

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

For most talented does that include Jenkins as well? I'm agree with you overall but I think my bias with Jenkins may be giving me more credit to him than I feel is warranted. I still stand by my profile of him - he is Quenton Nelson's less talented but equally angry brother.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I bet writer was referencing PFF grades.

I have never seen a team offer their own grades on their players to public.  

Who knows if they even do grades.  I am sure they watch tape, but not everybody breaks that into grades or ratings.   

It's possible brother.

At my age I have trouble recalling what I had for dinner Tuesday night let alone the source of something I read last fall.  ☹️

But I do recall it came right after Daniels was injured and said to be out for the rest of the year.

15 hours ago, Sugashane said:

For most talented does that include Jenkins as well? I'm agree with you overall but I think my bias with Jenkins may be giving me more credit to him than I feel is warranted. I still stand by my profile of him - he is Quenton Nelson's less talented but equally angry brother.

I reserve judgement on Jenkins as I haven’t seen him at this level and I only watched a bit of him at college and mostly highlights.  

I like what I have seen for sure.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, soulman said:

It's possible brother.

At my age I have trouble recalling what I had for dinner Tuesday night let alone the source of something I read last fall.  ☹️

But I do recall it came right after Daniels was injured and said to be out for the rest of the year.

You know it’s funny that teams and coaches are so secretive on tiniest bit of info about their team that is easily observable. 

BUT at clinics they will share every detail of a scheme they have invented or tweaked.  

I can’t remember exactly, but I remember watching coaches talk about wishbone and how it got to OK and NB way back when and one coach was saying maybe I shouldn’t have taught them that.  I can’t remember who it was.  

But it is tradition for coaches to share knowledge on coaching and most abide by it.  

Even as a youth coach college and high school coaches were willing to whiteboard and teach me stuff not even knowing me.  Just because I asked.

• Like 1